Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help needed selecting an MP600

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Help needed selecting an MP600
on: August 30, 2019, 10:15:17 AM
So I'll be getting another MP600 next week.

My last one was a bladeless BO one that I traded off for a Victorinox Mauser shortly after getting it. (I bought it second hand at a quarter of new price here).

But I decided to get at least one of each of the large MT brands as long as they're affordable and I can get a few MP600's from a TSA lot for €25 each (thrust me, that's a bargain here).

What do I look out for?
Last time I was there I noticed an older model with a bluntier tip and metal push tabs instead of plastics. Was that Mr. Pinchy?

I would basically want it to be as desirable as possible, but my knowledge of Gerber is next to nothing currently.

Any specials pliers shapes I would want to look out for? Specific tool loadouts?

There's also a few MP400's. Same questions basically.

Will have to check the Leathermans while I'm there too... And try to keep my eyes of all the Vics. Since the seller stated after last time that they won't be for sale any more if they're not standard offerings :(

au Online gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Help needed selecting an MP600
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 12:12:47 PM
Hmm, if you are looking for more desirable Gerbers as future trade bait or re-selling then the following might be useful (based on my own personal opinions, I haven't done an in-depth comparison of current sales prices):

Any "First Production Run" Gerber Mts are more valuable than later variants.

The older Mr Pinchies didn't have any locking tool components and were all steel.  Most had blunt nose pliers, the very early ones with polished finish on the handles are sought after.

Later MP600s had plastic locking tabs (mostly black, some grey), most had blunt nose or needle nose pliers

The oddball variants are usually more valuable eg Fisherman pliers, Cable Cutters, TrailRider (hoof pick), Coloured handles, prototypes.

The MP650 with swappable plier heads are usually more valuable than all except prototype Gerbers.  The full Military kit with all heads are very much in demand.

Watch out for the numerous cheap chinese copies (usually BO with CC pliers), these can be sold as genuine (often by sellers who don't know any better)

The only MP400 I know of would be the Fisherman (really long needle nose pliers)

I hope that helps.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 12:18:47 PM
Good start. Thanks!

Any more insights? :D

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 12:35:19 AM
:bump:

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 12:43:33 AM
I am by no means a pro when it comes to Gerbers. They only recently caught my attention. I would have to second a 650. Swappable plier heads? Yes please.

se Offline RF52

Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 01:40:26 AM
I'm guessing if you can find the one with swappable plier heads you would have to spend quite alot to get it. But I sure would love a set myself :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 10:19:19 AM
If there is one like that in the Bunch, the seller will see it as yet another MP600...

se Offline RF52

Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 02:32:16 PM
Hope you find some goodies :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

au Online gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 02:35:44 PM
I'm guessing if you can find the one with swappable plier heads you would have to spend quite alot to get it. But I sure would love a set myself :cheers:

MP650s usually sell for such a high price these days that they mostly fall into the "shelf/safe queen" category.  Especially when you consider that the plier heads don't slide back in the body like regular MP600s (it is the price you pay for having swappable heads).  This makes the overall package much bulkier.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 06:46:56 PM
Consider this cancelled.

Feel free to check today's post in my personal thread (in The Break Room) too.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%