Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Case Knives

spudley112 · 2610 · 62042

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Case Knives
on: September 06, 2019, 11:46:50 PM
Let me start by saying, I LOVE Case Knives. There is a nostalgia that I feel with Case Knives, and the multitude of patterns and handle materials appeals to me. I like to visit the Case Outlet in Branson Missouri...it is the ultimate candy store for me. Yeah, my number one knife choice is, and always will be, SAKs, but I also have a decent amount of Case Knives as well.

With that being said...there are some observations I have in relation to the current spread of Case Knives:

1. For the majority of their line up, doesn't it seem like there is a preponderance of "dainty" knives? There are a few beefy blades (Trapper, the new release of Barlows, large Stockman etc etc) but it seems that much of their line is smaller knives. I suppose for collectors and those seeking a non intimidating "gentleman's" knife, that is where the profit lies. Like I said, just an observation.

2. I feel that the blades are a bit overpolished. The corners, grind lines etc, look a bit too rounded. Conversely, the Bose line has some really sharp grind lines. I know it is due to a different line of steel and blade making techniques...I jus think the sharper angles look professional.

3. Handle material - this is a good observation...going to the Case Outlet, and seeing the line up of handle materials is dangerous to my bank account. I applaud Case on the materials they use.

Here is my meager collection of Case Knives BTW. Please feel free to snap some pictures of yours!

Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Re: Case Knives
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 12:07:22 AM
Nice assemblage of knives! I think the reason you will see more,"dainty" knives from Case is they are making knives mainly for the collector now and not for the working man(just my opinion).The last Case knife I bought new was a Shark Tooth when they first came out in the 1980's. I have purchased quite a few Case knives since then but they have all been older models. I don't collect knives by brand but whatever suits me at any particular time.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 12:25:20 AM
I only have a few Case knives but I like them.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 01:38:32 AM
Let me start by saying, I LOVE Case Knives. There is a nostalgia that I feel with Case Knives, and the multitude of patterns and handle materials appeals to me. I like to visit the Case Outlet in Branson Missouri...it is the ultimate candy store for me. Yeah, my number one knife choice is, and always will be, SAKs, but I also have a decent amount of Case Knives as well.

With that being said...there are some observations I have in relation to the current spread of Case Knives:

1. For the majority of their line up, doesn't it seem like there is a preponderance of "dainty" knives? There are a few beefy blades (Trapper, the new release of Barlows, large Stockman etc etc) but it seems that much of their line is smaller knives. I suppose for collectors and those seeking a non intimidating "gentleman's" knife, that is where the profit lies. Like I said, just an observation.

2. I feel that the blades are a bit overpolished. The corners, grind lines etc, look a bit too rounded. Conversely, the Bose line has some really sharp grind lines. I know it is due to a different line of steel and blade making techniques...I jus think the sharper angles look professional.

3. Handle material - this is a good observation...going to the Case Outlet, and seeing the line up of handle materials is dangerous to my bank account. I applaud Case on the materials they use.

Here is my meager collection of Case Knives BTW. Please feel free to snap some pictures of yours!
(Image removed from quote.)

Are you sure its not an addiction!  :rofl:
Great looking collection there :cheers: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 01:39:44 AM

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 01:44:39 AM
I like Case knives as well.

I've focused my interests on just a few models,primarily the model 54 Trapper and the 65 Folding Hunter.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 02:53:22 AM
Another fan of Case here. Outside of local (Sheffield) manufacturers, and of course Swiss knives, I own more folders by Case than any other pocket knife maker. I have two Barlows, a Sodbuster Jr, and a Scout Jr. I used to own a Seahorse Whittler too, but sold that as it never saw pocket time.

They are a good brand for collectors, with a wide range of patterns and scale variations, but are very good in use too. One of the Barlows I own, was carried exclusively for about a year. Takes a decent edge, and steels back easily too, and so very rarely needed to see abrasives to keep it in fine fettle.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 07:35:56 AM
Got my share of CASE knives, too.
I'd take a Seahorse Whittler any day of the week.   Though I really like the #75 pattern to EDC.
CASESeahorseStag.jpg
* CASESeahorseStag.jpg (Filesize: 92.68 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 10:32:57 AM
Good observations Spudley  :tu:
What is your experience with the factory edge on their blades? I find them a bit rough/toothy.

Lovely collection btw  :like:

* No, I didn't cut the branch with the trapper :-)
resize-702.jpg
* resize-702.jpg (Filesize: 197.87 KB)
resize-700.jpg
* resize-700.jpg (Filesize: 249.03 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 03:28:10 PM
I'd take a Seahorse Whittler any day of the week.   Though I really like the #75 pattern to EDC.
Another nice one!  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 03:29:11 PM
What is your experience with the factory edge on their blades? I find them a bit rough/toothy.

Nice photos  :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 03:54:05 PM
Big Case fan here, particularly of the Trappers.  I have a few of them, but my son, Noah, has a pretty decent collection!  I'm a Pennsylvania native, and we usually make it to the factory museum/store at least once a year.
Barry

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 07:49:20 PM

Definitely a bit rough. I am one knife enthusiast that really never thinks too much of a factory edge. Regardless of how sharp, dull or rough it might be, I immediately put my own edge on it. However, it is noteworthy that the factory edge often correlates to the care and quality of manufacture.

BtW - I also really like the Wharncliffe trappers. I have a single blade mini-Trapper (the EZ open model with a cut out in the handle for better blade grip) with a Wharny blade that I love!
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 08:00:43 PM
Big Case fan here, particularly of the Trappers.  I have a few of them, but my son, Noah, has a pretty decent collection!  I'm a Pennsylvania native, and we usually make it to the factory museum/store at least once a year.

You're fortunate that you have the opportunity to visit the Case factory.

I'm also fortunate in being able to collect the knives I like.I just inventoried the Case Trappers and the collection consists of 3 Copperhead Trappers,one 5 blade ,two 3 blade,one single blade Trapper and one Panama Trapper.The balance of the collection consists of 68 two blade model 54 Trappers.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 08:13:40 PM
Definitely a bit rough. I am one knife enthusiast that really never thinks too much of a factory edge. Regardless of how sharp, dull or rough it might be, I immediately put my own edge on it. However, it is noteworthy that the factory edge often correlates to the care and quality of manufacture.

BtW - I also really like the Wharncliffe trappers. I have a single blade mini-Trapper (the EZ open model with a cut out in the handle for better blade grip) with a Wharny blade that I love!

Thanks Spudley  :salute:
I sometimes put on a new edge as well, like on the Sodbuster which wasn't even symmetrical.
I wish it would be easier (and cheaper) to get hold of them Cases over here  :D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 08:40:39 PM
The Mrs got me this a while back, it’s a Orange Curly Zebra Wood, and as you can see she even had it engraved, and when she ordered it they just got the sheaths and the equipment to stamp those so she even had that done to go along with it,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 08:48:45 PM
That's interesting.

I've never seen initials engraved in that orientation on the bolster.

I really like those wood scales,your wife has good taste.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 09:24:08 PM
You're fortunate that you have the opportunity to visit the Case factory.

I'm also fortunate in being able to collect the knives I like.I just inventoried the Case Trappers and the collection consists of 3 Copperhead Trappers,one 5 blade ,two 3 blade,one single blade Trapper and one Panama Trapper.The balance of the collection consists of 68 two blade model 54 Trappers.
A five blade trapper  :sa:
Thats neat!  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 09:30:36 PM
The Mrs got me this a while back, it’s a Orange Curly Zebra Wood, and as you can see she even had it engraved, and when she ordered it they just got the sheaths and the equipment to stamp those so she even had that done to go along with it,
JR
That is super cool!  :cheers:
And even on the sheath!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 09:39:53 PM
A five blade trapper  :sa:
Thats neat!  :cheers:

Yes it's really interesting.

It's called "The Beast".
DSCN1081.JPG
* DSCN1081.JPG (Filesize: 164.85 KB)
DSCN1083.JPG
* DSCN1083.JPG (Filesize: 178.27 KB)
DSCN1160.JPG
* DSCN1160.JPG (Filesize: 168.76 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 09:47:48 PM
The Beast! Very nicely named and good looking!  :like: :tu: :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: September 07, 2019, 10:07:18 PM
Let me start by saying, I LOVE Case Knives.

Nice collection spudley! :like: :tu: :tu:

As you can see I also love Case knives. They make a very good EDC knife!

Here are pictures of some of the Case knives I have collected over the years.

Click on the pictures for best picture
IMG_0519.JPG
* IMG_0519.JPG (Filesize: 297.42 KB)
IMG_0520.JPG
* IMG_0520.JPG (Filesize: 314.73 KB)
IMG_0521.JPG
* IMG_0521.JPG (Filesize: 314.71 KB)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 07, 2019, 10:10:21 PM

The last Case knife I bought new was a Shark Tooth when they first came out in the 1980's. I have purchased quite a few Case knives since then but they have all been older models. I don't collect knives by brand but whatever suits me at any particular time.

Nice collection Ray! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: September 07, 2019, 10:11:04 PM
I only have a few Case knives but I like them.

Nice Cases Steve! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 10:11:52 PM

Nice Seahorse Whittler PitCarver! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 10:12:55 PM

Nice Cases McStitchy! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 10:15:15 PM
JR

Very nice Trapper MadPlumbarian! :like: :like: :like:

Your wife picked a beautiful knife! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: September 07, 2019, 10:16:40 PM
Yes it's really interesting.

It's called "The Beast".

Very cool Case toolguy! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 10:39:38 PM
Thanks guys, she wanted to get me something a little special and well she most definitely did! I like never use / wear it!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: September 07, 2019, 11:18:42 PM
Just scored this lot of Case knives. I really only got it because it was a great deal and for the 6202. I'll probably be selling a couple of the others.

the 62055 is a Medium Cattle knife, the 6246 I believe is a half Whittler and the 3249 is an ez-open Copperhead with I think a Wharncliff main.

6202 1/2 CV in brown jigged bone -  62055 CV in brown jigged bone - 6246 1/2 SS orange jigged bone -  3249 EZ CV in yellow delrin

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%