Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dorian and Halifax.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Dorian and Halifax.
on: September 08, 2019, 03:39:34 AM
Hope you are doing well with Hurricane Dorian pounding Halifax Grant. Keep your head down, and your multi-tool leading the way M8.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/very-dangerous-storm-dorian-causing-widespread-power-outages-damage-1.4582498
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Dorian and Halifax.
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 03:46:21 AM
Looks like Halifax took a pretty good punch in the nose. A lot of power outages and downed trees.

But, the city has been through much worse. I expect they'll recover quickly.  :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 04:25:27 AM
I hope everyone up there is okay.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 07:15:58 PM
Nothing like the Bahamas, Halifax did get hit hard though, and having the highest concentration of people makes it challenging. I live outside the city in a smaller rural community, we had more moderate winds but heavy rain and lost power for 20hrs, I was surprised we got it back that soon because most of the province is still out.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 03:08:05 PM
It will take more than a hurricane to take me down.

We are okay here.  I lost power around noon on Saturday and it's not back on yet.  Most of my camping stuff is still in Ottawa, but with two camp stoves, a propane barbecue and a charcoal barbecue we are doing better than most folks.

Also, other than a good sized branch falling in my yard (and missing my dogs and I by less than 5 minutes  :ahhh), we survived without any issues.  I have some photos from a walk around the neighborhood that shows how some of my neighbors weren't as lucky.  One house actually has two large trees resting on it.   :ahhh

Then there was this, which is only a few blocks away:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBCNS/status/1170430734831706114

I will post my pics when i get power and internet back.  At the moment I am limited somewhat by my phone/mobile internet, but that is really the only "hardship" we are facing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 03:29:26 PM
Grant, please continue to do stay safe,  sometimes trees/structure may fall even when the weather is well gone.  And good luck with the electricity and internet!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 09:27:19 PM
I won't say we are in the clear yet, but the power has been on for a couple of hours now.  There are power crews from all over the country here and the provincial government has requested aid from the military to help with the cleanup, so things are clearing up faster than anticipated.  Much faster than the last large hurricane we had 15 years ago, when power wasn't restored to the city for almost a week.   :ahhh

We actually had another storm a week ago, but it was a post-tropical storm, which is almost as bad as a hurricane.  During that I ended up with a pretty bad leak in one of my basement windows, much to the upset of the people that live there, for obvious reasons.  They reported it to me about midnight and I was outside digging a twenty foot trench in the howling wind and rain, so I was interested to see how that would hold up to the hurricane.  Pretty darned good as it turns out.  :D

Also, there is a decent sized maple tree on my property, but between the street and the sidewalk, which is technically the city's responsibility.  There is allegedly some kind of disease going around that is affecting these trees, although I think it's current state of poor health is more attributable to the sidewalk plow that tore out a chunk of it's root over the winter.  Either way, it is not in great shape, and it was my other big worry for this storm- and rightly so as it was the one that dropped the limb that could have hit me and/or one of the dogs.

But enough of the yammering- I promised you all photos, and here they are.

This is the photo I took showing that there were only twigs down:

The photos are time stamped 1450hrs and 1459hrs. 

I started by checking on my roof to see if there were any missing shingles, but fortunately not.  I just replaced the roof about 5 years ago, and it should be covered under warranty if I had.  Fortunately I was okay, but I started looking around the neighborhood, and the first thing I noticed were these newfangled 45 degree trees in the park across the road.

That's when I decided to take a short walk around my loop and see what was what.

We have a lot of trees on our street, and, while they may be very nice most of the time, they can be very detrimental in bad weather.

I'm sure most of these branches were pulled off the street, and not all of them just happened to conveniently fall on the sidewalk, but either way, I was glad I didn't have to spend any significant time outside!

At this point I was starting to get optimistic that it looked like most of my neighbors had made out okay... until Megan pointed this one out.

I have no idea what kind of damage there is to the house because it's not my property, I don't know the people that live there, and I am pretty sure going back there is probably not the safest thing to do.  What amazes me is that the tree didn't go rought through the house. 

This is the more sheltered part of the loop, not as much carnage or damage pron to show up here, although just before I finished the loop I noted a large limb hanging down from a tree, and my first instinct was to pull it the rest of the way down before it fell on someone. 

That is, until I noted that the limb wasn't hanging from the tree....

Yup, it's hooked on TWO levels of service wires running from the street to my neighbors' house.  Not gonna pull on that one!   :ahhh

Upon returning home we spotted this, looking across the back yards:

I missed it initially because I was busy paying attention to my broken tree, but this is what the back yard two houses over looked like and I felt pretty darned lucky!

There were worse spots in the city than where I am, but I think we got hit hard enough.  While it seems selfish, I am glad that I got off as easily as I did, and, even more importantly, I am glad to hear that there were no reported deaths this time. 

We were really lucky, as it could have been a lot worse. 

This was my second major hurricane, and, with last year's tornado experience, I believe I am uniquely qualified to discuss urban survival and prepping in severe weather incidents.  Someone call the History Channel and give them my number!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 09:50:03 PM
Good to hear you guys are doing well.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 09:51:30 PM
Only if you're an alien...

Good thing you guys got out safe.
Not selfish at all to feel lucky. It's human nature to concern about ones own safety/damage first.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 11:14:12 PM
Grant, it was good to hear you made out alright knowing how close to the harbour that is  :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 05:25:29 PM
Grant, it was good to hear you made out alright knowing how close to the harbour that is  :tu:
:iagree:
I remembered your kayaking outings not far from where you live, and glad to hear you get out of it ok.  Situations could have gotten much worst if trees were falling thru house/electric wires, and causing fire in the neighborhood.  We were having discussions in another thread about climate change, and the magnitude of change in recent years are so dramatic that it may even challenge our building safety standard.

I live in a high rise, and just last year we have typhoon so strong that many buildings are swinging side to side, even though we had inspection on any potential damage assessment afterwards and we were fine.  It was definitely something new to everyone in the city.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 06:12:01 PM
I live about 20 min outside the city, and it really didn't seem like much at all came through.  Our power didn't flicker, and there was an empty milk jug on the back deck that didn't even move.  Now I'm not complaining about that at all as I know parts of the province did get hit hard!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 11:39:29 AM
Glad to hear you made it through without a problem Derek!  I am not surprised, as I was in Bedford the day after the storm and there were no signs that there had been anything more than a light rain!

The coast definitely bore the brunt of the storm, and it really didn't seem to carry inland at all, which is a great thing for people inland, even a short ways.

I think this weekend I may have to get my kayak out and see if any trees came down in some of my favorite paddling areas.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%