Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Customized Sheaths to prevent Flippin' Flap Syndrome

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Customized Sheaths to prevent Flippin' Flap Syndrome
on: September 26, 2019, 11:13:14 AM
  When I was younger, toned, I did not have much of an issue with sheaths coming unsnapped as like when I got wider...  :ahhh

A basic sheath has a flap that comes down and snaps or snaps over something. So a big fella like me wears one, and when we sit in chairs and stuff the butt comes down and the sheath's flap comes up/unsnapped cause it caught on something. or perhaps getting into the car. The center console or the smurfin' seat belt doohickey catches the flap, up pops the sheath, and perhaps the multitool gets jarred, and next thing ya find is a missing tool.  :cry:

Have been pondering how to circumvent this issue. Obviously the tool has to go down into something from above, and a flap comes down, and the issues starts again. Does not matter how smurfin' strong that snap is, it will, eventually, come undone. And when the sheath is unknowingly undone, a tool goes missing.

So. how about a flap that comes down, snaps down onto something. Then a flap on the bottom folds over the first snap, into another snap (or device)? That should solve the issue of the flippin' flap syndrome, right?

Lost a Flair, and a PST to this smurfin' FFS thing, and frankly I'm sick of it. Every sheath is either made of some sort of plastic, or another flap waiting for FFS to strike again!

Guess I like my ReCharge Charge TTi, version 1.0, and I have the pocket clip to slide over the sheath edge for what security that offers. The pocket clip thing has helped. And I would like a thin back pocket to slide a Charge Saw piece or pieces into. Nothing fancy.
  And I would like the sheath to completely cover the tool. Do not want any metal showing what so ever. Too damn many people get offended if they see metal. Don't want them to think I have a multitool there. If the ask I can say its a TENS case, so smurf off!  :P

Anyone know that can make such a sheath, from leather?

Or do other people with girth found a better idea to keep FFS from happening to them??

Now I do miss the original Leatherman Oval Badged Charge Sheath. Even if the flap came undone, which it did a lot, it had enough squeeze to keep it in. Don't use a Serac S1 anymore, it croaked. Instead I carry a Fenix E12, and it would be cool if I could access that from an outer flap, that could hold it in good. Not required, but would free up pocket space.

Not looking for any fancy designs, as I'm a man of function before looks. Oh, and a tan or light brown color. Sick of black.
My_EDC.jpg
* My_EDC.jpg (Filesize: 60.41 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Re: Customized Sheaths to prevent Flippin' Flap Syndrome
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 11:26:33 AM
  Went out on job #1, was going to ring a doorbell and it was broken. What I usually do is cross the contacts with the pliers. You would be surprised at the remarks I get from people asking how I rang their doorbell when it has been broken for years.

Well.... today was in a similar issue. reached back, and FFS struck again! Missing PST. So grabbed the PocketToolX Piranha and used that to short the contacts, and I got an almost immediate response to the door! But, was bummed.

Yesterday I used the PST to undo some screws to fix a chair, and then rode 14 miles on the recumbent trike. If I lost the sabre-bladed PST along the road, am sure someone would of found it, and I hope they treat it well and do not go selling it. Same with the Smurf Co. Flair I lost somewhere - no idea where it went or when it went, and I was all over the day it was missing from its sheath.

We gotta put a stop to this FFS!!!  :twak:

Are there sheaths made for large people?!?  :dunno:
¬ Outback in Idaho

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 11:49:53 AM
Why still use a flap that goes down?

A single flap that is folded up and snapped above the tool would work well enough...

Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 12:57:04 PM
Why still use a flap that goes down?

A single flap that is folded up and snapped above the tool would work well enough...

Reassurance I suppose, or extra security in case the upwards flap failed?  :think:  Precaution.

Trying not to overthink this, as that gets me into trouble... you may be onto something. Have the flap start up around 3/4 of the sheath, to allow room getting the tool out. Have dual snaps, one on each side, snap over on the back side of the sheath. THAT might fix the whole issue, as long as the tool is not seen in the process.

:cheers:
Sheath Idea.jpg
* Sheath Idea.jpg (Filesize: 61.82 KB)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:24:18 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 03:07:25 PM
Like the idea. I think a longer flap that goes around and snaps at the bottom would work too?

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 03:11:45 PM
Why not use something made of kydex? Or an RAE gear style sheath?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 05:35:04 PM
I was thinking of a raised sheath that allows the flap to snap close above the tool.

I made a fast sketch. Here's me hoping you understand what I'm trying to say...

White is the sheath itself, the back is raised and contains a belt loop higher up.
The front of the sheath is lower.

Green is the tool in it.

Red is the flap, attached to the front and folding over the tool.
2 snap buttons are added on the raised back of the sheath on the location of the arrows.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 06:29:03 PM
If you don't mind loosing the flap a tilted horizontal sheath might be good to?

I did one for my spirit x and really liking it

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 08:43:29 PM
I could recommend trying those new sheats from Gerber also Victorinox sheats is good choice.

I liked very much on Gerber CenterDrive pouch cause i can carry it horizontal.

Only Tools Matters

Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 10:18:34 PM
Why not use something made of kydex? Or an RAE gear style sheath?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Because I also want the multitool hidden from the general public. Far too many prying eyes.

It has gotten so bad around the open public that if they see metal, or the name of a multitool manufacturer, a person gets labeled for carrying a (lethal) weapon.
  A customer walking into the store with a multitool, no problem. Catch an employee carrying a multitool --> He's carrying a lethal weapon!
  What is not seen, is not seen.

:twak: It is a tool, dummies! The general public anymore is dumb, even in rural towns we have idiots. Best to cover the tool than show 'skin'.

Manufacturers have this strange obsession in showing the tool's metal when inside a sheath. Have no idea other than to show others you are carrying something inside.
  Leatherman originally, like on their earlier PST models, had leather covering the entire tool. Only metal seen was at the very top where the flap comes over. For the most part the tool cannot be seen, and for those not knowing would not give a PST a second glance. PST does not 'print' anything to those that don't know.

Then Leatherman came out with their tan brown Heritage PST sheath, and the snap is fair. Yet it shows metal. The original sheath did not!

Original Sheath - PST II had the same types too

Heritage - Why show the metal, man?

The good ol' days

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 11:06:49 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 11:10:30 PM
   :facepalm:  Going off on a tangent here...

Every Leatherman sheath, and probably other manufacturers as well, show the tool inside the sheath. And their brand names clearly seen on the outside. Must be some hidden agenda or ruling that tells manufacturers that they can only make sheaths/holsters that show what is being held within ... or something, cause they all do it.

Leatherman Sheaths. Find one that fully encapsulates the tool from being seen.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 11:19:34 PM
  So back to the subject. Think that having snaps over the upper back side of the sheath would make it easier to snap and unsnap as opposed to having those below. Still want to have access to the tool without much hassle.

Horizontal carry does not work on a working big man, unless was in the back, and that would not be comfortable siting or driving. Side of hip, side of the leg maybe. Cargo pockets are the demon. Once a hole gets made, contents get emptied. Been down that road already.

Guess the only other way is to carry in a pocket, though carrying a wallet on one, and keys, Fenix E12, and a coin purse in the other does not leave much room for a multitool. Maybe a PS4? Though it would take a lot longer to file stuff down with that dinky file.

Oddly though, the Signal's sheath I've not had an issue with - yet. Guess cause the tool is slimmer on the sides that it does not readily catch on stuff, though I put the pocket clip on the outer edge of the sheath (just in case). Sad part of the Signal is that it does not have a decent file on board, not even the size of a PS4 file.  :(

Looking at the Signal's sheath I see that one squared corner had been bent back a few times, so whatever is catching just had not gotten a good bite yet. So why don't manufacturer's cut those squared corners off?
  And seen the Wenger sheath I got for the Wenger S557, the flap is heavier, stout, and triangular in shape. Can see wear marks from carry, and that sheath is wide. Has a VERY STRONG snap too! Almost covers all the tool, and on an EvoWood S557 there's no metal on the edges anyhow.  :P  Pliers are junk though, and no general use file - only a fingernail file.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 11:31:12 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 11:34:15 PM
You could wear your sheath between your belt and your pants with the belt loop towards the outside and the flap towards your body. Instead of on the outside of your belt. It might take getting used to it facing in instead of out, but nothing will catch on the flap and unbutton it.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 11:34:40 PM
Sounds like a Velcro sheath would work better for you or better yet add snaps to a Velcro sheath and have double the retention.

Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 06:32:18 AM
You could wear your sheath between your belt and your pants with the belt loop towards the outside and the flap towards your body. Instead of on the outside of your belt. It might take getting used to it facing in instead of out, but nothing will catch on the flap and unbutton it.

Ouch!  :facepalm: Heavens no!!!  :ahhh

I tried IWB conceal carry. NEVER again. That was the worst experience ever, and not worn the holster since. But that was for a Ruger SR9c an an Alien Gear IWB holster. Worse when driving a subcompact car. 🚗
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 06:37:43 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 06:55:53 AM
  Because I also want the multitool hidden from the general public. Far too many prying eyes.

It has gotten so bad around the open public that if they see metal, or the name of a multitool manufacturer, a person gets labeled for carrying a (lethal) weapon.
  A customer walking into the store with a multitool, no problem. Catch an employee carrying a multitool --> He's carrying a lethal weapon!
  What is not seen, is not seen.

:twak: It is a tool, dummies! The general public anymore is dumb, even in rural towns we have idiots. Best to cover the tool than show 'skin'.

Manufacturers have this strange obsession in showing the tool's metal when inside a sheath. Have no idea other than to show others you are carrying something inside.
  Leatherman originally, like on their earlier PST models, had leather covering the entire tool. Only metal seen was at the very top where the flap comes over. For the most part the tool cannot be seen, and for those not knowing would not give a PST a second glance. PST does not 'print' anything to those that don't know.

Then Leatherman came out with their tan brown Heritage PST sheath, and the snap is fair. Yet it shows metal. The original sheath did not!

Original Sheath - PST II had the same types too
  (Image removed from quote.)

Heritage - Why show the metal, man?

The good ol' days

There's nothing wrong with carrying a multitool on your belt. Especially if it is legal to carry where you live. I'm of the opinion that if someone doesn't like that they can see a sheath on your belt, then that's their problem. If they don't like seeing it, then don't look at it. Live and let live!

us Offline GreyFox

Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 03:04:25 PM
How about with the tool laying down front (name) up, the flap would go left to right over the top with the snap on the narrow front edge instead of the wide front with name??

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 01:50:01 PM
Attach the tool to the sheath with a lanyard. Even if it drops out it will stay with you.
Or use a zippered pouch. :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD