Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox mistakes?

us Offline Will Bateman

Victorinox mistakes?
on: October 19, 2019, 10:09:56 PM
I have come accross this modeler with a metal saw/file but it has wood saw teeth?? This is not a custom mod.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox mistakes?
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 10:17:09 PM
Difficult to tell from the pic. My guess is that it may not be a genuine SAK

Pete

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 10:30:29 PM
What da smurf happened to the corkscrew?  :o

My guess is abuse/modification
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 10:43:04 PM
It's a real one, the tang stamp is a OS one. But a missused one regretfully.

Broken corkscrew, end looks like teeth cut into the file. Don't know how, but to cut teeth into a hardened file, that probably messed up the tempering of it. I'd stay away from it.

us Offline Will Bateman

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 10:53:08 PM
I do not think modded. When i get this knife in hand i will be able to tell obviosuly.

But from the photos you can see that the saw teeth are not hand cut, but have the same double sided pattern as all victorinox wood saws.

... The corkscew is broken off.. other than that the knife is fine and in good condition. I want to mod it into a “mountain yeoman” or “yeoman+woodsaw”

When i mod it i will replace the corkscrew.

This knife seems to have come from a cutlery store in mont blanc geneve switzerland by googling the name on the blade
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:03:40 PM by Will Bateman »

us Offline Will Bateman

Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 11:08:30 PM
One more pic of blade

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 11:11:07 PM
But from the photos you can see that the saw teeth are not hand cut, but have the same double sided pattern as all victorinox wood saws.
Yeah, that's how the cuts of triangular-shaped files used at 45 degrees look.

All hail the hook!

us Offline Will Bateman

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 11:18:07 PM
Yeah, that's how the cuts of triangular-shaped files used at 45 degrees look.

Yea ill let you guys know...its strange by the looks of just the photos..I will obviously be able to tell if its hand done when i take a look at it. But i thought maybe some of you guys had seem something like that before. Interesting none the less..
Ill update soon

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 11:20:56 PM
Yea ill let you guys know...its strange by the looks of just the photos
Yeah... Looks uneven. :think:

All hail the hook!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 01:47:05 AM
I doubt it's real.  Well, the added saw serrations, at least.

I've often wanted something like this, and I think would work well on the newer stainless metal saw. I was thinking a 1/2 wood saw would work for me too. Maybe the tip side only.

Hard to tell from the small pics, but I think it looks like c. '75 construction for the original knife.  At least the parts look consistent that way. 

If it is real, I don't think you should take it apart.  Even if the serrations are modded, it would still be worth something as an original Modeler, if it is.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 02:54:48 AM
What a bizarre tool - Never seen that before.
Certainly looks like a metal file with factory-ish wood saw teeth
- Glad you bought it !
- Looking f to seeing the close up pics and understanding the details/story when you have it in hand

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 01:30:35 PM
I do not think modded. When i get this knife in hand i will be able to tell obviosuly.

This knife seems to have come from a cutlery store in mont blanc geneve switzerland by googling the name on the blade

Welcome to the forum Will! :cheers:

It will be interesting to find out when you get it what you find.

us Offline Will Bateman

Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 01:48:57 AM
Welcome to the forum Will! :cheers:

It will be interesting to find out when you get it what you find.

us Offline Will Bateman

Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 01:50:49 AM
So the serarions are added! But it is a modeler! So should i send it in to be fixed up? I would like to fully restore it to be an original modeler. Will victorinox do it? If I pay more than the standard $5? Either way im glad to have it and one way or the other i want to restore it somehow. Also the tweezers are nickel topped right? Looking forward to hearing the comments and im glad to be part of the forum:)

us Offline Will Bateman

Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 02:00:00 AM
Sorry I have written out this update like 10 times now with detailed descriptions and photos but it seems the photos are too large. I have given up and just written these brief updates. But it is a modeler and i want restore it? Possible through victorinox?

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 03:00:55 AM
Hi Mate - Great to have you here    :D

So the serrations were added by hand / after factory - Right? - That's a pretty serious mod - And the only explanation really !! :tu:
Would love to see the pics

Sorry you are experiencing problems uploading and lost your post text    :cry:     
... But we do have a limit on image size in the forum -And  you can usually save your text just by dropping the images from the post if necessary
- If you are on Windows and Photos - you can usually re-size the image by right clicking on the image  - Or by using Paint
I guess other tools are available from a smart phone or Mac

I think Vic will fix anything you send to them
But depending upon what has happened may charge you for it. And if this has been modded it probably falls into the chargeable category.

Other problem is they may not have the equivalent file for this model ie one from that era - There have been a few iterations of the file since then and the current one is stainless
Best thing to do on both counts is to check directly with them

:cheers:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:11:07 AM by Huntsman »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 07:27:04 AM
On a Mac you can use Preview to resize images. Resizing to 1000 pixels across usually does the trick of reducing image size to <500k or whatever the limit is.
(You can open a bunch of pictures simultaneously, Select All and resize them all at once if you need to.)

us Offline Will Bateman

Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 03:34:20 PM
Hi Mate - Great to have you here    :D

So the serrations were added by hand / after factory - Right? - That's a pretty serious mod - And the only explanation really !! :tu:
Would love to see the pics

Sorry you are experiencing problems uploading and lost your post text    :cry:     
... But we do have a limit on image size in the forum -And  you can usually save your text just by dropping the images from the post if necessary
- If you are on Windows and Photos - you can usually re-size the image by right clicking on the image  - Or by using Paint
I guess other tools are available from a smart phone or Mac

I think Vic will fix anything you send to them
But depending upon what has happened may charge you for it. And if this has been modded it probably falls into the chargeable category.

Other problem is they may not have the equivalent file for this model ie one from that era - There have been a few iterations of the file since then and the current one is stainless
Best thing to do on both counts is to check directly with them

:cheers:

Ok I figured out how to resize the pics, thanks for all of your guys help:)

So! Yes the serrations at NOT from factory(if you zoom on you can see grooves from a file on tje inside of the teeth.). And yes I still am baffled that someone went to this effort to make a woodsaw. They did a decent job i must admit!

I was really hoping for a rare tool mistake here from victorinox but either way I am happy to get this modeler.

I think I will have victorinox fix it up. I will probably have them replace the “modded” wood saw with there current stainless metal file/saw so she will be close to original.

Also the blades are scratched, corkscrew broken, and awl is loose.

Should i replace the main blade? Or leave it with the engraving?

Really glad to be a part of the forum. My kind of people!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:47:09 PM by Will Bateman »

us Offline Will Bateman

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 03:44:59 PM
Few more...

She has the aluminum? Or nickel tweezers? This is an old one, and the owner must have been “hardcore” to want to make his own saw.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:50:34 PM by Will Bateman »

us Offline Will Bateman

Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 06:59:31 PM
Few more...

She has the aluminum? Or nickel tweezers? This is an old one, and the owner must have been “hardcore” to want to make his own saw.

us Offline Will Bateman

Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 07:07:35 PM
Also something I noticed that might atleast help date the knife is the badge. The modeler has a slightly “thicker” cross and it looks bronze?

Here are some photos of it next to my vintage huntsman(only corkscrew and awl no eye)

Huntsman on the left modeler on the right

And the modeler has the aluminum tweezers

us Offline Will Bateman

Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 07:10:13 PM

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 07:16:35 PM
That means it's a nickel silver logo instead if the more modern stainless steel. ;)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 05:07:30 PM
I doubt it's real.  Well, the added saw serrations, at least.

Hard to tell from the small pics, but I think it looks like c. '75 construction for the original knife.  At least the parts look consistent that way. 

If it is real, I don't think you should take it apart.  Even if the serrations are modded, it would still be worth something as an original Modeler, if it is.

The tweezer tip is aluminum and the shield is nickel silver.  The black oxide scissor spring and the other details make it c. '75 as I said.  I can dial it in for certain if I see the "bottom" side (backspings) with the awl closed. Would be able to help me see if it's earlier than that. But it's certainly not outside of '73 to '75. Probably not '73 or early '74 from what I can already see, but the awl would confirm or reinforce my thoughts.  Closeup of the back tang stamp might help too.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 05:11:25 PM
I took apart a compact the other day and the combo tool had been stamped from the thicker steel that the bottle opener and can opener would be made from.  It was so thick the sak was bulging at that end.  First time Id see that one.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 23, 2019, 11:13:37 PM
Quoted Syph's post in the 'official' errors club thread
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82832.msg2033482.html#msg2033482

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: October 23, 2019, 11:15:54 PM
I took apart a compact the other day and the combo tool had been stamped from the thicker steel that the bottle opener and can opener would be made from.  It was so thick the sak was bulging at that end.  First time Id see that one.
2mm thick?  I have a Mechanic Jr that's the same. I always assumed it was 111mm combo tool that was used (intentionally or accidentally) and not a stamping error. Not sure what the pin diameter is on 111mm knives though - 2.5mm? 3mm? If the 111mm knives have bigger pins that would answer the question pretty easily.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 23, 2019, 11:38:28 PM
I'm still really puzzled as to who cut these woodsaw teeth into the metal file

ie Who would have the machines/tooling/capability to do this.?   ???     :think:
From the pictures above it looks very like regular saw teeth.

Do you think it was done in the factory by someone fooling around/experimenting ? 

Could you do something like this with files or would it have to be machined ?
I'm thinking the latter

Thoughts ?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 12:17:51 AM

ie Who would have the machines/tooling/capability to do this.?   ???     :think:

Do you think it was done in the factory by someone fooling around/experimenting ? 

I'm thinking the latter

Thoughts ?
Bet you it's a mod.
It would be extremely tedious, but you could even do it with hand files:
If you can file at a steady 45 degree angle, the teeth of the SAK file will allow you to make the spacing look even.
And you can set a depth by putting the file in a vise, or simply by counting vertical bumps as you file.

All hail the hook!

us Offline Will Bateman

Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 12:42:06 AM

I'm thinking the latter

Thoughts ?

It is well done for sure.

The fact that he did such a good job that we all can not tell... means he did a good job. I think this would take quite a lot of practice and several attempts to do it this well...it doesnt look like he got “bored” and started filing... I mean I cant find any obvious “crooked” or “sloppy” spot and im loooooking.

Also how could you machine this without taking the blade out?

What do you think? Have it replaced with new stainless metal saw? Or keep this saw oditity and restore everything but the saw and scales?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%