Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2002 Leatherman Crunch

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

2002 Leatherman Crunch
on: December 28, 2019, 06:37:37 AM
While I'll be the first to claim I am more of fan of the domestic line of Gerber multi tools and some of their other products, in my experience and opinion, the Leatherman Crunch is by the best locking multi tool ever created.  Definitely is worth owning and about a year about I acquired one.   My guess is the images I am posting are a 2002 Leatherman, but this may or may not be older.

That said, I found an eBay listing that had including some packaging information and as of 2002, the Leatherman Crunch be Crunch 68010101K, Crunch 68010203K or Crunch 68010201K have all been made with global components.  While I am not sure if the most modern variations still have USA components and or are merely assembled in USA, I figured these images are worth sharing.

Just to be clear I am not bashing this product rather I figured this is information worth sharing.  Recently this Leatherman Crunch really helped me with a very challenging project, so this isn't as if I don't like the brand.

If anyone has a Leatherman Crunch from 1999, 2000 or 2001 and has the original packaging, this would certainly be interested to compare and contrast. 

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: 2002 Leatherman Crunch
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 03:23:29 PM
My grandson has a ‘99 but the packaging is long gone. Sorry.
Nice Crunch!  :cheers:

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 11:58:16 PM
That is fine.  Not sure if there was much difference between the 1999 version and what is produced today.  Willing to bet given Leatherman's own admitted history some components have always been imported, but I'd like to think the  knife steel was and is with the current model's.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 04:43:52 AM
As I understand, the reason LM dropped USA right up until the Heritage PST and Free was because the pliers actually came from Mexico.

I wish companies would be more open as to telling what parts come from where. It ain't USA in my mind unless most of it is. I suppose Gerber dropping the "USA" when they moved to the new frame a couple of years ago was because of something similar to LM.

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 05:40:49 AM
 For some this is a hot button topic, however in this specific case, my intention is purely to share information and have fun. While I only speak for myself,  tool information and tools are just a hobby, nothing to lose sleep over. 

That said, I've known for quite some time there are imported components with Leatherman products, as there is Gerber branded products.  Problem is I cannot specifically with evidence prove which component is domestically made, let alone what components are imported and from what countries they imported from.  Unless in the case with Gerber, they mention the countries.  Credit where credit is due, Fiskars is more transparent about this and from a legal perspective as so far in terms of federal trade commission standards, with the exception of the Center Drive/Center Drive Plus, all of their domestic multi tools are USA built, with global components.

There is made in USA, made in USA of global components and assembled in USA.  In a nutshell, the time this takes to truly understand what the FTC standards of what constitutes USA made, USA made of global components does take time and a willingness to examine information that is most likely drafted by lawyers written in a very legalistic framework.  I.e. Very lengthy and perhaps not the most interesting.

Perhaps you may or may not have seen the Gerber Import thread I've added information to.  Based strictly on packaging text, the countries components come from is the United States of America, India, Taiwan, China.  What percentage comes from each country isn't specified, yet with exception of Berry complaints sheaths, the Center Drive sheath, the Gerber multi tool sheaths are made in China.  With the Gerber MP700, the sheath that came with this was sewn in Mexico, which either means this perhaps only "assembled in Mexico" and or this implies this was "manufactured" in Mexico. 

To the very best of my knowledge and is this extremely regrettable,  there is no USA manufacturing of files anymore.  Not sure how Gerber with the Center Drive/Center Drive+, Leatherman Free P2, P4 or the Bear and Son multi tools source their files, but perhaps due to the size these companies have the machining for this?  Nicholson, Grobett, Simmonds were the most prominent USA manufacturers and tragically, all three of companies have off shored the manufacturing to other countries.

Gerber, Leatherman, Bear and Son, Ultica are the last remaining companies that manufacture any multi tools in USA.  Leatherman and Gerber as I mentioned with the exception of several have global components.  Bear and Son and Ultica seemingly are entirely USA made, but I say that tentatively.   This is worth noting that Proto and Klein USA made multi tools are rebranded for Ultica with some differences. 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 06:54:49 AM
I don't know about about this--companies nowadays are all competing on a global scale, and I just don't see how protectionist mindset can help a company to strive for better innovation and QC, except encouraging stagnation and inferiority.  It is one thing if a company choose not to use foreign parts, because they don't meet their standard(think Victorinox); but it is entirely a different thing if it is protectionist thinking or using that as a marketing gimmick.

Look at recent development in the knife industry, many successful collaborations between US custom knife makers/designer and foreign knife manufacturers have provided many great mid-tech(almost semi-custom quality) choices to the community.  In return, I am sure those US knife makers/distributors/consumers have all benefited from this kind of collaboration, one way or another.

Not arguing there is no definite right and wrong in this, and we all surely are entitled to our own opinions and vote with our wallets at the end of the day.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 04:01:54 PM
 :iagree: totally and am glad to see improvements of a multitude of different things because of global competition  :salute:

Also we need to be careful how things are said in a thread if this nature as it can become very political very fast :salute:

I am a proud American and the LM made completely in the USA has been argued back and forth plenty but when it is all said and done, they made a great tool (as do several of the big guys :salute: ) and we the consumer all benefit from this :tu:

Spyderco Co. For example is an American company that has really embraced the global market and manufacturing whilst also keeping many jobs in the US and making a very great product at the same time :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 04:07:24 PM
As I understand, the reason LM dropped USA right up until the Heritage PST and Free was because the pliers actually came from Mexico.

I wish companies would be more open as to telling what parts come from where. It ain't USA in my mind unless most of it is. I suppose Gerber dropping the "USA" when they moved to the new frame a couple of years ago was because of something similar to LM.

The reason behind them sourcing the plier head from Mexico is that the company was originally based in the US and after they moved, LM saw no reason to change suppliers and kept buying from the same company :cheers:

I do agree that companies in general would tell where exactly parts are made and come from but that is likely a trade secret that companies use to keep competitors from finding and using the same parts :shrug: that last part is pure speculation and I don't really know if there is any basis in that statement  :whistle: :D

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 06:07:50 PM
I lost my Crunch ten years ago and I still missing it!
Enjoy!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 12:37:49 AM
I think I mentioned this in another thread ...

I had the honour of meeting Tim Leatherman when he was in Sydney last year - I met him at a stand in Martin Place in the centre of Sydney and again at a promotional event that evening

In the Q&A session at the event he was asked whether Leatherman would move production outside of the USA.
His answer surprised me - I was expecting something about maintaining tight control of quality etc etc 
However he said the reason for keeping production in Portland was to keep the jobs in that community and that Leatherman was an important part of that community.
"Good on ya Tim" - As we Aussies say

On that subject: The lawsuit brought against Leatherman by the State of California in the 90s really annoyed me
From my understanding this was what mandated Leatherman to remove the USA stamp from their plier heads.

And the tools were not even imprinted with Made in USA  - Just USA
For me - Leatherman is an American company and their products are made in Portland, .... USA
I loved that USA stamp and was very proud and happy to buy a product stamped USA !   :salute:    :tu:
If one or two components are sourced elsewhere - So what!   ???

Anyway the law did not agree with me    >:D    :rofl:
....... And I guess you have to draw the line somewhere - If every component was made elsewhere, and it was just assembled in the US - That could be misleading
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 01:43:33 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 01:33:57 AM
 :iagree: and well said!  :cheers:

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 01:51:02 AM
Disclaimer;  my initial and secondary posts didn't mention the Leatherman lawsuit. My intention was to merely share photographic  package information that to the best of my knowledge hasn't been posted in multi tool forum or in the multi tool encyclopedia.  In addition, I do not claim these images or the Leatherman product posted to be mine nor did I imply that either.  Additionally, some of the information I posed was opinion and some is based either on photographic evidence from the packaging.  While I only speak for myself, I am merely a person with an interest in tools and tool information.  Became a member here to share information and learn information.  When possible, I do provide sources for information as well as image evidence to support any claims.

However, I do not represent anyone other than myself. While I do have preferences with brands, at the end of the day, I have no stake or any affiliations with any of these corporations/companies.  What I mentioned was related to the packaging information and some tool information.  If other aspects were perceived, that is speaks for the other individuals and does not represent what I wrote or positions that I may or may not have.   

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 02:38:47 PM
Hey CC - Chill man

Most people here accept and recognise that we all have different opinions and preferences, sometimes small, sometimes great. 
And we all enjoy sharing and discussing those opinions.

We also enjoy sharing information that we have uncovered, or heard, or read elsewhere.

This is what this place is all about.

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 09:35:38 PM
Hey CC - Chill man

Believe me, I am not upset or angry in the least..  For maximum transparency and to provide answers if there is any misunderstandings, hence why I wrote this.  For example, if I am posting any images, unless I specifically state ownership of said images, I do not claim to own the images or products in question. Gladly I welcome any discussions be in agreement or disagreement, as I am explictly in favor of freed of speech and discussions.  By no means do I expect let alone demand others agree with me as this is perfectly fine to disagree. 

Most people here accept and recognise that we all have different opinions and preferences, sometimes small, sometimes great.
And we all enjoy sharing and discussing those opinions.

We also enjoy sharing information that we have uncovered, or heard, or read elsewhere.

This is what this place is all about.

Glad to read that and I sincerely appreciate all the information others have posted and overall interactions I've noticed and been a recipient of.   Out of every forum I've joined over the last decade plus, this forum is definitely one with the least amount of "e-drama" and there is desire to share information.  What I also appreciate, at least in my experience thus far, I've yet to see a "good old boys" "cult of personalities squad" here and in most instances, I've seen this.  Individually speaking, I am not favor of establishment mindsets, let alone a cult of personalities/squad as all this leads to suppression of speech.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%