Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to Waterproof your Gear

Offline EricBTTA

How to Waterproof your Gear
on: January 04, 2020, 04:53:03 PM
Hey guys,

Just recently put together a video on the various gear options available to Waterproof your equipment, their pros and cons along with my personal opinions on waterproofing options. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to share your opinions along with letting us know what you guys use.

- Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: How to Waterproof your Gear
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 01:13:39 PM
Thanks for sharing this video, it's really well made!

I think a trick worth mentioning from reading about thru hikers is they usually put their stuff in a simple trash bag(or heavy duty trash bag) to make the items rain proof.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 06:42:39 PM
Thanks for sharing this video, it's really well made!

I think a trick worth mentioning from reading about thru hikers is they usually put their stuff in a simple trash bag(or heavy duty trash bag) to make the items rain proof.
:agree:
It may not be "Sexy", but t's a simple low budget trick that works well.  I carry a heavy mil plastic shopping bag in my "basics" bag as a waterproof liner.  If rain threatens I triple fold it closed and use a large binder clamp to hold it shut.  I could Scotchguard my bag, but that costs money.  I could treat my canvas "Git'er dun" bag with a oil and wax treatment turning it into oilskin, but that's tedious and I would never be able to clean it.  I suppose it's possible to spray a bag with automotive undercoat, but it's an over the top approach to a problem that's easily fixed with a ubiquitous plastic bag.  If you still want something "Cool" try a vacuum storage bag, you don't need a vacuum source, just squash it down to force out all the excess air before sealing it.

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 09:05:08 PM
I use magic. Certain spells are known to repel water.

If that fails, I use trash bags and gallon freezer bags for my gear.

In my Harley saddlebags, I keep a blanket (handy for several things...especially laying on hot asphalt when doing oil changes etc) and an extra sweatshirt. For long term storage, add a drier sheet to keep cloth items smelling fresh.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 11:19:24 AM
I needed a solution when I bought a pontoon boat in 2003, and even more so for the kayak a few years later.

The best I could find was a simple dry bag.  Critical items like phone and keys went into another small dry bag inside than.

After moving close to a river there was a lot of wading while fly fishing, the dry bag worked faultlessly and could've been a flotation aid if ever necessary. 

This bag has lasted years and hundreds of hours worth of fishing trips, I'm 100% sure it has a pinhole or two which makes no difference  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%