Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

G10 and mineral oil?

us Offline Splat

G10 and mineral oil?
on: January 01, 2009, 02:01:24 AM
I was using Eezox on my knives but it's not edible/food grade so I've gone back to mineral oil. I just got my first Spyderco, a ParaMilitary with foliage green G10 handles and D2 steel. :tu: :tu: I cannot recall where I heard this but supposedly mineral oil harms G10 material. Anybody can confirm this?
Splat

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: G10 and mineral oil?
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 02:39:13 AM
If it does, it's news to me.  I've never seen any reaction any time I've used mineral oil on a knife with g-10 handles.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Splat

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 03:30:46 AM
Yeah, I can't find it anywhere now. How long have you been using m/o with your G10 knives?
Splat

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 03:43:15 AM
Ballistol information

Ballistol is made from medical grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and oil from vegetable seeds.
The smell comes from medicinal Anethole oil, which is derived from the Anise plant.
Ballistol is biodegradable and non-toxic.

BALLISTOL will not negatively affect plastic materials or paints which are chemically resistant to oils. Specifically BALLISTOL will not adversely affect PVC, high pressure polyethylene's, mipolam, Teflon-derivatives or hostaflon- derivatives. It can be safely applied to the gel coat of fiberglass boats. Caution is recommended with foamed polymers like polyester, foamed rubber or caulking foam.
As a rule of thumb, it may be safely assumed that all plastic materials, polymer, paints, lacquers or varnishes that are chemically neutral toward technical oils will also remain unaffected by BALLISTOL Rubbers that are not resistant against mineral oils may become brittle if exposed to BALLISTOL for an extended period of time and/or under higher than ambient temperatures. If applied thinly Ballistol is suitable for maintaining and cleaning any sort of rubber without damage.

Uses for Ballistol
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 03:36:41 PM
Yeah, I can't find it anywhere now. How long have you been using m/o with your G10 knives?

Several years now- ever since G-10 became popular on tactical knife handles.  Mind you I don`t carry or use much in the way of tactical knives these days, so it has been a while since I`ve done much with the few I have left, but all the same, I`d say we are well past the ten year mark.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Splat

Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 02:26:35 AM
Sounds good. I've since used mineral oil on my new Spyderco Paramilitary and so far, so good.
Splat

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD