Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chisel grind?

Benner · 11 · 4628

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Chisel grind?
on: January 01, 2009, 07:37:42 PM
It has been mentioned recently that people dislike chisel ground blades and I was curious to know what the general thought was on this grind on a pocket knife?

When looking at folders recently, I was surprised to see that one brand of knives that I was interested in, Emerson http://www.emersonknives.com/, mainly (could even be all of them) does chisel ground edges on their knives.  This immediately put me off but I don't really know why  :think:

So what do you guys think?
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Chisel grind?
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 09:44:28 PM
A true chisel grind is a hell of a lot weaker than a conventional V grind, as it's only got half the steel suporting the edge :-\

The only pluses are it's cheaper for the manufactures ::), and easier to sharpen in theory, but I would steer well clear of them if I were you :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 09:47:31 PM
I am not a fan of chisel ground blades either.. They get scary sharp, but they are pretty hard to sharpen and like Mike said; are weaker..  :-\
B

Flash

Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 09:51:07 PM
Benner...one benefit is that they are great for really detailed carving/precision work.

I think the CRKT Edgie is of a similar grind and that works for me great.

Different grinds for different jobs...as Scotty used to say "the right tool for the right job" :D

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 09:52:15 PM
The Edgie is a fantastic knife!  It's good for the UK members because it doesn't lock!
B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 09:55:59 PM
The main problem witht he grind is also trying to keep the cut straight in wood. It tends to track out.
Plus I just find it lazy that manufactures use it. 
S

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 10:09:18 PM
I am fond of chisel ground serrated blades, though!
B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 10:16:49 PM
But they work with serrations. Just not in solid stuff.
S

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 12:21:45 AM
Chisel ground blades are razor sharp, that's the only advantage for users.  For the manufacturer they're cheaper to make and where a combination blade is offered, more often than not you'll find a chisel grind as the serrations would be chisel ground as well.
Personally I don't mind this type of grind, though sharp it's more fragile than a conventional v grind and prone to nicks.
The only way I've found to re-sharpen them is on a stone or Lansky system where you have to regrind the edge completely.  It's more work but you'll end up with a razor sharp blade.  Its virtually imposible to touch up a chisel ground on a sharpening steel or "v" sharpener, at least that's what I've found.

us Offline David

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 07:28:29 AM
I`ve got chisel grinds on Victorinox Gardner, LM Micra, Perrin La Shark and a whole bunch of Emersons both custom and production. The  grinds on the Emersons I have range from zero ground, chisel ground and the v-grind which is only sharpened on one side. Emerson is my favorite brand of knife and there been hardly a day gone by in the last 10 years that I`ve not carried one or had one availible for use if needed. I do use some other knives from time to time but Emerson is by far my favorite. There not for everyone people tend to love`um or hate`um. I`ve never found a chisel ground blade that I`ve used to be weak or hard to sharpen. Altho a zero ground blade if not done right or tempered correctly can be fragile. They did take alittle getting use to in the beginning. The Emerson Commander was a real challenge to learn how the sharpen that recurve chisel type blade but once I figured it out its very easy to sharpen, for me any way. My brother has watched me sharpen his Commander for along time now and still cant do it. I use one crock stick. I`ve never reprofiled any of blades as many now days do. Is there any real advantage for the average knife user proablity not. I`m not a big promoter of the chisel ground blade I just like Emersons and have learned how the use them.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Splat

Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 02:32:55 AM
I've found I don't like chisel grinds. They tend to pull to the side when cutting. I prefer flat and convex grinds.
Splat

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD