Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you stop watching some YouTubers as they become richer/fancier

dks · 11 · 1776

Poll

Do you stop watching some YouTubers as they become richer/fancier

Yes
7 (70%)
No
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I have noticed that I am less interested, or inclined to watch YouTube channels that I have been following for some years once they start showing signs of serious wealth.

Once they stop being regular knowledgeable enthusiasts and start showing (off) really expensive and expanding car collections (Jay Leno is fine, he was always rich), 2nd, 3rd, 4th homes, ranches, fancy invites, buying expensive presents and so on, I feel that they no longer represent regular people in their tastes and needs and can do fine without me helping them by watching..

There are channels I used to watch daily but have not bothered with in over a year.

I will still watch channels where the people stayed the same, irrespective of how rich they were when I started following them.

And you?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)

And you?

I do not and never have followed any youtubers, so my answer to that question has to be "No".
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
By follow, I mean subscribe to their channel

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
I definitely feel this, it certainly makes them feel detached from the subject at hand and their audience. What really annoys me about this kind of thing is:

- Talking about pricing/value when their perspective is so obviously skewed. Nick Shabazz is the example that comes to mind for this, he wants more and more and innovation at budget price points that feel like they're stuck 5-10 years ago. At the same time, he'll talk about much more expensive knives or watches that cost thousands of USD in what seems like a less critical manner.

- Acting like they're still normal people, with one of the big ones complaining about the everyday price of food/items or complaining about people talking about their income. When.. in reality, they are millionaires. The one that comes to mind there is a podcast made up of hyper successful creators where they each had a Patreon and the podcast had a Patreon, there was always sponsors etc. Just looking at the public Patreon numbers shows their level of income, nevermind inferring from their lifestyles.

I understand why creators want to appeal to the base that made them still or may not think of themselves differently in the context that they make videos, but I think ideally creators should adapt and own their success in a none-flaunty way. I certainly hope to have that problem in the distant future, gotta have goals  :drink:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Depends... Some are able to remain true to their channel style, while also making it fancier in terms of scope, production quality and so on.
The obvious ones are the tech channels as, no matter how rich you become, this stuff is still flippin' expensive. Same for the ones that exhibit boats and superyachts, or sports cars.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
I do like it when tubers get fancy stuff to review as long as they don't get political or douche .

I do hate it when they do outlandish endeavors just to get views. 
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
I voted yes and also add that I unsubscribe when I find whatever topic or philosophy they ascribe becomes borderline extreme or silly.

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

There have only been a handful of content creators over the years I've subscribed to, watch frequently and or would say I am a fan of their content.  For me I don't mind if they've become successful and hence started to use fancier equipment/tools etc. 

That said regrettably the era of truly independent content creators is few and far between as many companies have bought and paid for several big name and medium size Youtubers.  Case in point Ask This Old House; that series was always to some degree commercialized yet in the last several decades it's become far much more.  Fein, FesTool, Hilti and brands that are very well above and beyond what the average individual can financially justify let alone some projects would even attempt. 

Another factor is if they start to mention pressing social/hot button topics, politics etc.  No matter what is said, neutrality doesn't exist anymore and people are incredibly tribal about these topics.  Also there is the 40/40/20 rule; 40% will agree with you, 40% will disagree with you and 20% could go either way.   Doesn't matter what the topic is and this applies in general as well. 

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Not always, but often enough. I have certainly noticed that many YouTubers change as they get more popular.  Sometimes I also get bored as the content does not vary enough, this doesn't apply as much with multitool stuff, but other topics can became rather repetitive.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
For me the two major reasons for un-subscribing are:
- no-change
- loss of interest in a topic (e.g. I lost a lot of interest in steels as I realized VG10 is good enough for me)
- change in the wrong (for me) direction (EDC channels that start to focus on fidget spinners / or what happened recently, only on iPhone accessories )

That said, money/wealth of the youtuber has no impact. But it might impact content, which in return might change my desire to watch that channel.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline stuntzombie

Stop watching them? I've never been able to stand any of them long enough to really start.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%