Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Compact - more than just a Climber light

Lambik · 17 · 3482

be Offline Lambik

• Mr Lambik
The Compact - more than just a Climber light
on: July 07, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
Recently, I have been deliberating between a Compact and a Climber for EDC carry. I think both models have a fantastic toolset for an urban environment. The Compact is a marvel of efficiency, while the climber is a little bit thicker but adds better screwdriving + prying capability, and a small blade and awl.

Initially, I thought the choice was between the slimness of the compact, or the wider toolset of the climber. However: I have found that the compact can do a few things better than the climber can. Or in the least, not any worse than the climber.
  • The combo tool might be more fragile to use as a prying bar than the standard bottle opener, but the slimness of the tool also makes it more precise. Just today, I removed a few staples from a stack of papers, and it felt almost like the combo tool was made to be used for this task.
  • While the standard can opener does its job admirably, I like the combo tool more for opening cans. You move the can opener backwards instead of forwards, which I think is more intuitive, but it is also a lot easier to use for left handed people (which coincidentally includes me).
  • The combo tool is an excellent nail cleaner, which is one of the tools I frequently use that was missing on the climber. Combined with the nailfile on the back of the hook, this gives the compact some grooming functionality the climber hasn't.
  • I like having a small blade for opening boxes and whatnot, but it's not really a necessity. The scissors are a very people friendly tool for when you don't want to whip out the large blade in public, and they do 90% of the jobs my small blade would normally do
  • The compact does not have an awl. For a lot of people this would be a dealbreaker, but I really don't use it that much. In a pinch, the fixed end of the scissors will work fine for puncturing stuff.

In the factory versions, the compact has the plus scales which gives you an emergency pen. However, it is a simple modification to give a climber some new scales so I am not really counting this one.

That all said, the compact packs all these functions in just two fricking layers! I think I'm in love guys  8)

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: The Compact - more than just a Climber light
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 04:56:26 PM
Can't fault your logic!  :salute:

And as someone who recently switched to a Compact for EDC - I agree (I think the boss also EDCs a Compact BTW!  :tu:)

The only missing things for me is Phillips capability (eg on the regular CO)
- Although the combi can do Phillips at a pinch! - And there is a mod to make that even better!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:40:40 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 04:58:20 PM
 :salute: Enjoyed the read.  I do believe the scissors in many situation can replace the small blade.  I prefer my 58s small blade over the small one on my 91mms. Theres a lot more precision and the thinness is wonderful.  The scissors used as an awl is a great idea.  No reason it cannot be done safely and effectively.  I enjoyed your thoughts thank you. 
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 05:07:27 PM
Nicely put I think.  I've been all around the size:function ratio with my SAKs (hence I own so many ;) ).  The Compact certainly does a lot very well in a slim package.   
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 05:17:22 PM
The can opener is a wonderful tool.  Such a multifunction tool even it its not used for cans. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 10:15:20 PM
Although I switched to a Pioneer X as soon as they came out, I carried a Compact for years before.
It did everything I needed working in an office environment, scissors and combo tool doing most tasks.
It sounds like the Compact does what you need from it, and that's really all that matters.
- Steve

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 10:19:27 PM
You make some nice points

For package opening, I have sharpen the corner on a couple of my combo tools which which works fairly well cutting into boxes.

And as someone who recently switched to a Compact for EDC - I agree (I think the boss also EDCs a Cpmpact BTW!  :tu:)

- Although the combi can do Phillips at a pinch! - And there is a mod to make that even better!!
The lack of phillips, to me, is probably the compacts only real fault.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 01:57:48 AM
Nice writeup.  I carry a Pioneer X primarily, and second to that, a Compact.  I'm happy to know that the can opener works well in a pinch - since I have been pinched in the past more than a few times  :whistle:  I find that the Combo tool is a much better bottle opener than the real thing. 

That said, I usually stick with the Pioneer X for the driver and the awl since those contingencies are the main reasons I carry a multitool at all.  Otherwise I would be fine with a Secretary or a Classic. 

Offline dlew919

Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 10:07:59 AM

And as someone who recently switched to a Compact for EDC - I agree (I think the boss also EDCs a Compact BTW!  :tu:)

What’s the mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nz Offline Storm

Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 10:34:35 AM
Grind the top of the combo tool down slightly to make it fit Phillips screws even better. ( I assume. Its what I did to my Bantam and it worked a treat)
20200711_203832.jpg
* 20200711_203832.jpg (Filesize: 201.12 KB)
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 11:18:24 AM
Yeah - Thanks Storm - That is the one I was thinking of!! Make it a bit more like the regular co/sd.

I guess you lose some wider flat capability doing that - So it's  question of what do you need the most   :think:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 12:05:48 PM
Grind the top of the combo tool down slightly to make it fit Phillips screws even better. ( I assume. Its what I did to my Bantam and it worked a treat)

That looks like an improvement to me.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 03:15:21 AM
e
Yeah - Thanks Storm - That is the one I was thinking of!! Make it a bit more like the regular co/sd.

I guess you lose some wider flat capability doing that - So it's  question of what do you need the most   :think:

Phillips for me wwaaaaayyyy more often. I can use the back of the blade for scraping stuff off if needed , which is what I end up doing more often than cranking on actual flat heads screws with the bottle opener/large SD on other knives.
  As always, YMMV, but fear not, Victorinox will have a model for that too :rofl:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

Offline Kaelriee

Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 09:39:45 AM
Nice writeup.  I carry a Pioneer X primarily, and second to that, a Compact.  I'm happy to know that the can opener works well in a pinch - since I have been pinched in the past more than a few times  :whistle:  I find that the Combo tool is a much better bottle opener than the real thing. 

That said, I usually stick with the Pioneer X for the driver and the awl since those contingencies are the main reasons I carry a multitool at all.  Otherwise I would be fine with a Secretary or a Classic.

What do you use the awl for? That's a tool I kind of struggle to find a use for.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 01:36:50 PM
What do you use the awl for? That's a tool I kind of struggle to find a use for.

On the Alox models - Most things that you would use a small pen blade for - opening plastic seals off food packaging, juice bottle cap safety seals, cutting tape on boxes, clamshell packages.  Any food box that says "press here to open" but does not comply with this agreement.  (evidently I like to eat).  Anything you might use the tip of a knife for.  Digging things out, and of course reaming.  Theres a sort of barb at the end of the Alox awl - it doesnt really form a hook, but when you pull toward the side with the "nail pull" things tend to stay on. 

It's almost an extension of my hand at this point.  I have, on more occasions than I'd care to admit, been doing something that was a little fiddly...  couldn't quite get a grip on something, or turn something... and have unmindfully taken out the awl for assistance.  Finding it in my hand, I stare at it in bewilderment, wondering how it would have helped me. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 02:13:51 PM
 :iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 07:53:55 PM
I've been looking for a nice Compact for a while...
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD