Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

TH. KLUEGLEIN (KLUGLEIN?) Germany

Offline spaceal

• New User
TH. KLUEGLEIN (KLUGLEIN?) Germany
on: September 03, 2020, 04:20:45 PM
Hello everyone,

I found this old pair of tack puller pliers from Germany, but I can't seem to find specific information using the name TH. KLUEGLEIN

I am assuming that these are from Theobald Kluglein, maybe a spelling error on this early patent pending design?

Can anyone tell me anything about it?
IMG_3650.jpg
* IMG_3650.jpg (Filesize: 172.96 KB)
IMG_3656.jpg
* IMG_3656.jpg (Filesize: 113.66 KB)
image0.jpeg
* image0.jpeg (Filesize: 121.29 KB)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: TH. KLUEGLEIN (KLUGLEIN?) Germany
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 11:22:35 PM
Not a spelling error, in German, the ü letter or any other letter wit the two dots, Umlaut, can be replaced with that letter plus E, so ... ue  -> ü ... Same last name. Most old last names were written in that way, the poet Goethe for instance, today it would be Göthe.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 07:05:57 PM
Not much on my part, other than that it was patented in the United States:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US1891164A/en

Good luck on your search.  :tu:

Offline Karen Kluglein

• New User
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 11:40:55 AM
Hi,
My grandfather Theobald Kluglein had this patent. He was an upholsterer and made the tool so that it was easier for upholsterers to pull tacks. He had a few other patents. He lived on Long Island in New York. I’m curious as to where you found this tool!
Karen Kluglein

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 12:02:11 PM
Welcome to  :MTO:  Karen   :hatsoff:

I'm glad you have found your way to this post, registered to the forum and replied to it.
That is a very interesting story I'm sure others are interested in too  :tu:

Member spaceal only made that one post over two years ago. Can you see his email address when you click/tab onto his name?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 11:07:35 PM
Greetings Karen. A very interesting story indeed. I tried doing some research a few years ago on your grandfather and his inventions. The man was apparently quite creative, and was awarded patents for improvements to everything from reclining chairs to parachutes.  :salute:

Here are my (rather dry) notes about the Klüglein Nail and Tack Puller, both early and later versions:

Early version: 6-1/2” pliers with parrot jaws designed for gripping carpet or upholstery tack heads, with a protrusion off one jaw that acts as a fulcrum for prying. Coil spring between handles. Nickel plated steel. No markings. Patent 1,891,164 issued to Theobald Klüglein of New York, N.Y. on December 13, 1932

Later version: Same arrangement as early version, but an entirely different forging. One-half inch longer, with checkering added to handles, and a hole between the plier jaws. No longer has a coil spring between handles. Stamped TH. KLUGLEIN – VALLEY STREAM N.Y. around pivot on one side, and U.S. PAT. NO. 1,891,164 on the other. MADE IN GERMANY stamped on one handle, FORGED STEEL on inner surfaces of both handles, and KLUGLEIN on outer surfaces.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%