Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to make a scenic leather belt.

Chako · 15 · 3536

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
How to make a scenic leather belt.
on: September 05, 2020, 01:36:06 PM
This is a project I did years ago and just re-found the images. Thought I would share.

This project is a scenic belt that I hand drew. In this case, the belt features an outdoor motif with various animals and even a fisherman with is log cabin.

For making belts, here is a good link to get started...

https://www.goldbarkleather.com/sourceblog/diy-belt-guide#:~:text=If%20you%20have%20a%20belt,the%20end%20of%20the%20belt.

Just be aware that some of the steps can be interchanged to suit your needs.

Here goes...

First thing to start drawing onto leather is to wet or case the leather with a wet sponge. This allows the leather to pick up on our drawing. I like to use a stencil made for leather-crafting as I can re-use the drawing on another project if I wish. I first measure the belt width and using a meter stick, draw my borders. I will then freehand draw what I want to transfer to the leather. Once done, I will case the leather and place the stencil on top of the belt and using a ball point stylus, trace the line work. This will transfer the image onto the leather. Once that is done, then I will take a swivel knife and cut the lines if you will. In the following image, you can see where I have cut the leather with the swivel knife. When using the swivel knife, remember to always cut towards you, and to only cut half way into the leather.

DSC02485A by Chako, on Flickr

The next step once all the carving is done, is to use a beveler. Place the deep end on the line and the shallow end on the side you want to push down. Using this tool will make your design pop and give it that 3D look. There are a bunch of different bevelers out there, so using the right one is up to the effect or look you are going for. Once I have beveled all my lines, being sure to selectively bevel the right lines, it is time to make the background really pop...and to do that, I use a background tool. Think of this as a mini meat tenderizer. Like the beveler tool, there are quite a few backgrounder tools out there. My favorite and the most labor intensive one I like is a tiny little one shaped like a tear drop. It is great to get into small areas. Now, depending on the steps, you can background before beveling as I have done with this belt here.

DSC02483A by Chako, on Flickr

In the next photo, you can see that I have started stippling the background. All those indentations will pick up the leather dye later on, darkening it. In this case, I was doing all the steps as I went along in little sections. You can do each step to the whole belt at the same time, and then go onward to the next step, or you can do them all in small sections piece by piece as I have done here.

DSC02487A by Chako, on Flickr

After beveling and backgrounding the leather, it is time to add details. I will use the swivel knife to do detail cuts. It is at this point, once I am happy with the general look of the artwork, will I use an oval hole punch to make my belt buckle holes. I will also use a regular round hole punch if there needs to be rivets or some other fastener required. I will also take a slicker and wet the edges and rub the slicker on the edges to get a nice burnished look. Wetting the edge with water and rubbing the edge with the slicker will give you a nice finish...that is of course after you use a set of edgers that cut the square leather corners into a more comfortable rounder form. Once I have everything pierced as needed, it is time to dye the belt. I like to use antique stains as you can quickly rub it off once applied, which will darken all the low points and cuts in your artwork. I apply this with a wool dauber in circles, and quickly wipe the excess off with a wet towel. Proceed down the belt till it is dyed fully. In the following photos, you can see the end result once the dye is applied. After the dye is applied, I like to use some clear acrylic finish to coat the whole belt. Once this is dried, I will then buff the finish to get a nice sheen.

DSC02492A by Chako, on Flickr

DSC02501A by Chako, on Flickr

DSC02502A by Chako, on Flickr

To finish off the belt, apply the hardware. In this case, I used a simple 2 piece belt set.

DSC02496A by Chako, on Flickr

DSC02504A by Chako, on Flickr

I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial of sorts.

:hatsoff:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 01:44:26 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: How to make a scenic leather belt.
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 04:09:10 PM
Amazing work! Thanks for sharing!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 08:36:27 PM
You are welcome.  :salute:

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 08:37:28 PM
Very nice job :like:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 09:15:23 PM
Wooo. This kind of thing is so far above my skillset.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 09:47:19 PM
Very nice, I have most of the tools to do that but just never got good at it,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 10:40:56 PM
Practice.  :pok:  :pok:

:tu:

pomsbz, belts are always fun but a bit challenging considering you only have an inch and a half of height to work with.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 11:11:41 PM
Practice.  :pok:  :pok:

pomsbz, belts are always fun but a bit challenging considering you only have an inch and a half of height to work with.

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 11:20:46 PM
Lol :rofl:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 02:38:48 PM
Beautiful and excellent craftsmanship  :like: :cheers:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 04:31:39 PM
Thank you sir.  :hatsoff:

Offline Jpac

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 09:00:06 PM
Great work, beautiful piece
 :like: :like: :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 04:48:34 PM

Offline MsJFN

• New User
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 03:17:11 PM
That's a fantastic project you've shared! Making a scenic leather belt sounds like a creative and rewarding endeavor. Thanks for the detailed explanation of your process.

Offline MsJFN

• New User
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 11:20:28 AM
That's a fantastic project you've shared! Making a scenic leather belt sounds like a creative and rewarding endeavor. Thanks for the detailed explanation of your process.

For anyone interested in trying their hand at crafting leather goods, your guide is a great starting point. It's amazing how you can transform a simple piece of leather into a work of art with some creativity and the right techniques.

If you're looking for more insights into working with leather, you might find this blog post helpful: LINK REMOVED. It provides valuable tips for distinguishing genuine leather from imitation, which can be handy when sourcing materials for your projects.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 01:00:28 PM by zoidberg »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD