Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NEW Folding Paring Knife

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
NEW Folding Paring Knife
on: September 19, 2020, 05:51:53 AM
Not technically a SAK, but then neither is the Daypacker (or whatever they sometimes call the floral knife).
Plain or serrated blade.  Under $20.
Folding Paring Knife.jpg
* Folding Paring Knife.jpg (Filesize: 58.97 KB)
- Steve

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: NEW Folding Paring Knife
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 06:28:52 AM
I really like the look of this serrated version, will go well with my opinel in the kitchen and for picnics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 08:25:31 AM
It is an interesting looking knife, handy for picnics Echotech says - a green one might find its way into my basket at some point!

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 02:53:36 PM
I will buy half a dozen.  :gimme:

If it is anything like its fixed paring knife siblings, it will be excellent as an inexpensive folding knife for food prep while travelling or picnic.

The normal Vic serrated paring knives are the unsung heros of our kitchen. We have a few that see the worst of what the family can dish out. Drops on tile floor, rough handling, cutting food on ceramic plates, left overnight covered in fruit juices, countless cycles through the dishwasher. Still, they stay sharp enough to cut tomatos cleanly for years, and I have not seen one of them rust once. All that performance for a few dollars a pop. It must be one of the best bang-for-buck tools of this century! Respect. :tu:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 03:15:29 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

gb Offline Cakemonster

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 05:41:33 PM
Received a plain and serrated today from Victorinox, only tested on an over ripe tomato so far (the tomato lost...)
Should be perfect for holiday cottages instead of relying on the blunt pig iron which some  people have in their "fully stocked kitchen "
111mm Soldier for scale
20200928_163652.jpg
* 20200928_163652.jpg (Filesize: 408.99 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 05:47:46 PM
Thanks for letting us know about this one, you smurfing enablers!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 02:37:06 PM
Ok, here's a couple more variations:

Plus cutting board (16cmx12cm, but still...):

Plus spoon and fork:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Kraken

Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 03:14:05 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Plus spoon and fork:

You had me at 'spoon and fork'. Now I just have to figure out how to justify these to the Mrs.
Semper Fortis

us Offline Frailer

Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 04:08:49 PM
I picked me up this weekend. It will make an ideal picnic/lunchbox knife. FWIW it’s larger than one might expect.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 03:05:44 AM
You had me at 'spoon and fork'. Now I just have to figure out how to justify these to the Mrs.

Oh, that's easy...

:whistle:

Show content

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 04:38:14 AM

Plus spoon and fork:

The second set, for sure, will be my new Hobo knife. My user Hobo is with the camping stuff I store at a friend's house at the other end of the county, and I have a second, still in the pack of that same Coghlan's, but uh, I like something without all three folding into the same handle, even if it is separable.

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 03:22:21 PM
I picked me up this weekend. It will make an ideal picnic/lunchbox knife. FWIW it’s larger than one might expect.

:like: :cheers: 8)
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

it Offline Mini

Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 10:23:54 PM
This is an interesting news, I hope they can find the right place in the distribution, and can be able to reach even those who are not yet  vic-enthusiastic like us.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 11:03:49 PM
We've been using the Victorinox non-folding tomato knives every day for a couple of years - they're just terrific knives for all mealtimes. We have kids so we don't have to pretend to be sophisticated...
Mrs Thunderpants is less keen on the matching forks which I purchased later. I don't mind the forks but they're only available in a few colours as far as I know. I don't think we'll bother with the matching spoons as we have a zillion plain metal spoons which are good enough. And the spoons are a lot pricier as far as I recall.
Assuming these folding knives are the same as the non-folding ones, other than the pivot, they should be really decent pic-nick, camping, holiday knives.

Irrelevant note - Anyone purchasing their first set of plates is advised to invest in quality! My first effort, a cheap set of various plates, saucers etc was made of garbage china which cracked at the first opportunity. I think we destroyed every single part of that set in about two years. We then bought some Villeroy & Boch bits and pieces (couldn't afford a complete set) and added to it over the years. I wouldn't say it's indestructible, but it's at least ten times tougher than the garbage it replaced. I think in 15 years we've broken three plates - not because we're more careful. But even there you have to be careful, they have started to make stuff in China and it is very hard to tell these days which plates are made in Luxembourg and which aren't. I doubt the quality is identical but I may be wrong.

But yeah the posh Villeroy & Boch plates look great with those orange plastic handled knives and forks beside them!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 11:56:47 PM
One of those might have to find there way onto my wish list.   :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 12:09:09 AM
Also this spurred me on to buy one of the 11cm tomato knives that I've been meaning to get for a couple of years now. :doh:  Winging it's way to me and better late than never.

au Offline Echotech

NEW Folding Paring Knife
Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 10:07:45 AM
We've been using the Victorinox non-folding tomato knives every day for a couple of years - they're just terrific knives for all mealtimes. We have kids so we don't have to pretend to be sophisticated...
Mrs Thunderpants is less keen on the matching forks which I purchased later. I don't mind the forks but they're only available in a few colours as far as I know. I don't think we'll bother with the matching spoons as we have a zillion plain metal spoons which are good enough. And the spoons are a lot pricier as far as I recall.
Assuming these folding knives are the same as the non-folding ones, other than the pivot, they should be really decent pic-nick, camping, holiday knives.

Irrelevant note - Anyone purchasing their first set of plates is advised to invest in quality! My first effort, a cheap set of various plates, saucers etc was made of garbage china which cracked at the first opportunity. I think we destroyed every single part of that set in about two years. We then bought some Villeroy & Boch bits and pieces (couldn't afford a complete set) and added to it over the years. I wouldn't say it's indestructible, but it's at least ten times tougher than the garbage it replaced. I think in 15 years we've broken three plates - not because we're more careful. But even there you have to be careful, they have started to make stuff in China and it is very hard to tell these days which plates are made in Luxembourg and which aren't. I doubt the quality is identical but I may be wrong.

But yeah the posh Villeroy & Boch plates look great with those orange plastic handled knives and forks beside them!
I was a purchasing manager in the hotel trade for many years, we used to buy plates and crockery on whether they “bounced “ or not, Villeroy and Boch are found it many hotels for that very reason, well worth the extra upfront spend :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 03:40:36 PM
A question for those who have gotten the folding knife; does it have separate liners and scales or is it solid Nylon handle with slot for the blade?

gb Offline Cakemonster

Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 06:28:06 PM
A question for those who have gotten the folding knife; does it have separate liners and scales or is it solid Nylon handle with slot for the blade?
Solid nylon, the linerlock runs about a third down the handle.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 08:59:04 PM
I was a purchasing manager in the hotel trade for many years, we used to buy plates and crockery on whether they “bounced “ or not, Villeroy and Boch are found it many hotels for that very reason, well worth the extra upfront spend :cheers:

:cheers:
Definitely worth the extravagance. Often there is no discernible difference between a cheap product and a more pricy one, but occasionally the difference is massive!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%