Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GearedForwards' Carry Systems and Gear Options

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
GearedForwards' Carry Systems and Gear Options
on: October 20, 2020, 06:52:31 PM
This thread is a place for me to post different aspects of my collections and the carry systems that arise them (as well as my thoughts on the system in question). So without further ado here's the first and most recent system, based off of a very old Gameboy Advance SP pouch:

A chunky boy, weighing in with this loadout at 1.2lbs  :ahhh

Front pocket unzipped, orientating the Swiss Card this way puts most of it's tool set at the opening, allowing quick access without needing to take it out.

Front pocket contents emptied out (top to bottom, left to right):
-A Swiss Card that I've probably had now for 14/15 years now
-The capsule from a True Utility Fire Stash, with ten cut down strike anywhere matches
-Duct Tape wrapped around a cut down nail
-Two of those ultra compressed towlettes that expand in water

Top down view of the main compartment, the folded hankerchief acting like a sleeve to keep the pry bar orientated for quick access.

Everything out, main compartment contents:
-Leatherman Rebar
-Fenix E11 w/ NiMH Duracell (2400mAh)
-'Godfather' knife (D2 blade, smooth G10)
-Hankerchief
-Misc. Stainless prybar w/550 lanyard (love the green)

Thoughts:

I'm liking this loadout so far, it covers pretty much all of the tool bases I want and the Gameboy pouch is wonderfully suited to this (I'm a little concerned about the main zipper durability, but that's it), the belt loop is both closed and has a snap option for quick removal. I went for the matches over an insert replaced Zippo purely to get more in the compartment, damn I wish the UK sold mini Bics  :pok: The biggest question marks over the kit for me right now are the knife and Rebar, I love the Rebar but it's the source of a lot of the weight, ideally I'd want the covnerter card for it to give more driver options. The only tool I'd really sub it out for is the Skeletool (Wave belongs in other kits already) but it's a knife centric tool in a kit that has a dedicated folder  :dunno:

The weight isn't really that bad, and despite the bulkiness this actually fits in a lounge/sweat pants pocket without over stretching it 9 or pulling said pants down). Definitely in the development stages still, but so far a fan of this load out  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: GearedForwards' Carry Systems and Gear Options
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 07:08:29 PM
Nice use of the pouch.  I am not sure carrying the things we want to carry and lightweight is compatible?  I"ve tried a few option as well and I find I'm leaving out things I want to carry for weight savings. 

I"ll keep and eye on this thread for inspiration and conversations.   :like: 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 08:35:13 PM
Nice use of the pouch.  I am not sure carrying the things we want to carry and lightweight is compatible?  I"ve tried a few option as well and I find I'm leaving out things I want to carry for weight savings. 

I"ll keep and eye on this thread for inspiration and conversations.   :like:

Thanks!

The day I go minimalist is the day I didn't realise I had a hole in my pocket  :whistle:

It's not like I'm hiking or anything with this gear so I've never had a problem carrying a bunch of stuff so that I'm prepared and have things to play with  :cheers:

A lot of the things in this thread will be systems I've carried during work etc. so I have more experience to provide with them, I do love me a pouch  :ahhh
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 08:48:20 PM
I've gone thru carrying items I like to carry and things that have proven very nice to have vs not carrying such items.  Duct tape, cordage, spare cell for light, pad of paper plus pen and mini sharpie, etc.  All the items that are used often, regularly, or from time to time. 

Thing is, when I don't have those items I'm ok.  On the other hand when I have those items and the need arises I'm so stoked. 

Case in point.  I stopped carrying cordage.  Just stopped even tho there have been times when it would have been very handy.  Over the last few weeks I decided to carry a hank of cordage.  I like to carry about 6-10 ft which works and has worked out great.  I was out an about and sure enough a scenario presented itself.  I was very happy to have the cordage on hand. 

The balance of items to carry is for me one of not carrying a bag.  I have a nice shoulder bag that I tried to carry and while awesome and easily carried I stopped.  I favor a small pouch that I can pop on my hip strung onto my belt with cordage ( easy way to carry cordage ) or with a biner.  Its worked great last weekend with my Maxpedition Micro.  Then of course the wanting to carry just a bit more kit entered my mind and out came the Maxpedition EDC pouch  :facepalm:.  I'm not carrying TONs more and the space means not packing the pouch.  We'll see how it plays out. 

I was happy to have it on me tho and so far its been exactly how I figured it would be, helpful.  I carry a SS straw that was used and extra hand sanitizer. 

Esse Quam Videri

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 08:44:23 PM
I've gone thru carrying items I like to carry and things that have proven very nice to have vs not carrying such items.  Duct tape, cordage, spare cell for light, pad of paper plus pen and mini sharpie, etc.  All the items that are used often, regularly, or from time to time. 

Thing is, when I don't have those items I'm ok.  On the other hand when I have those items and the need arises I'm so stoked. 

Case in point.  I stopped carrying cordage.  Just stopped even tho there have been times when it would have been very handy.  Over the last few weeks I decided to carry a hank of cordage.  I like to carry about 6-10 ft which works and has worked out great.  I was out an about and sure enough a scenario presented itself.  I was very happy to have the cordage on hand. 

The balance of items to carry is for me one of not carrying a bag.  I have a nice shoulder bag that I tried to carry and while awesome and easily carried I stopped.  I favor a small pouch that I can pop on my hip strung onto my belt with cordage ( easy way to carry cordage ) or with a biner.  Its worked great last weekend with my Maxpedition Micro.  Then of course the wanting to carry just a bit more kit entered my mind and out came the Maxpedition EDC pouch  :facepalm:.  I'm not carrying TONs more and the space means not packing the pouch.  We'll see how it plays out. 

I was happy to have it on me tho and so far its been exactly how I figured it would be, helpful.  I carry a SS straw that was used and extra hand sanitizer. 

You;'ll have to post your EDC pouch in your off day carry thread   :like:

By EDC pouch do you mean the 'normal' sized organiser? I have a mini made into a kit that lives in whatever pack I have with me and it's served me faithfully for, I think 9 or 10 years now?  :think:

I like the idea of a Ti straw (well I like the idea of everything Ti  :facepalm:), I've been carrying my hand sanitiser on carabiner attached to my belt loop when I go out (and whilst driving it hands from the rear view). I don't mind carrying it, but from what I've gleaned from the forum it would destroy my celidors which narrows my legal options a bit...

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 08:49:04 PM
Great kit, and what a nice pouch! :like:

Thanks! It served little Geared well for it's intended purpose, it's surprisingly well made for one of those old gameboy accessory bundles.  :D

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 09:58:59 PM
Today we'll be going through one of my Skinth carries. I'll be honest, I'm terrible at remembering what model Skinths are, so I can't provide that info  :oops:

I love the build of Skinths, well made but lightweight and flexible. This kit is basically a self contained edc in it's own right, covering the bases of a daily carry within. I'll either combine this with a dedicated blade (be it UK legal for going out, like a UKPK, or whatever I feel like for private property) or throw something like my Squirt in a pocket for the pliers.

Everything is pretty easily access without risking pulling something else out unintentionally.

Contents (L-R):

-Refyne Ti pen (I think P1? It's terrible but I backed it on Kickstarter years ago  :facepalm:)
-Lumintop Tool AA
-SAK Cadet
-Cheap Stainless Pry Bar
-Mini Sharpie

Thoughts:

This set up works really well and can be changed around a bit to adapt, like the front pouch can accommodate a Pioneer if a larger blade is needed, the prybar can be shifted to behind the belt clip to free up some space in the side pocket too. If I really wanted to I oculd downgrade the light to a AAA, but I just feel like if I'm going to use a pouch like this I may as well go a smidge larger on the light  :dunno:

I use this kit on belts, tossed in a cargo pocket or clipped to the pocket of sweatpants (hanging outside) to offer some much needed gear storage and organisation to them  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 08:43:42 PM
Huh the pics in this thread got broken, that's a shame I'll have to fix that at some point...

Thought I'd carry this thread on though and will be posting an older favourite later on  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 08:16:10 AM
This is a Hitch and Timber slip that I pocket carried in addition to my other EDC items for about two years, right up until I received my current wallet that stole the space pen. This originally used the standard cadet (pictured) but was changed to the 2017 LE green cadet when I got it. Fantastic little slip, excellent leather.

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 08, 2021, 08:43:11 AM
Next up is my Wave carry, when this is carried it's horizontal on the belt at about 2 o'clock. I carried it this way in IT for around 6months to a year when we were doing a re-kitting project and I frequently needed drivers, blades, and pliers. Oh how I wish the ratchet extension was out back then...

After that it road along in my work bag when I worked as a despatch operator in a trailer fabricator, the bit kit and extentsion came in hand a few times there tweaking strap tensioners.

Full load out is the standard Wave, extension, one bit card, and an Olight i3T EOS in a leather leatherman sheath, I think it was marketed as for a different model though.

I really like this set up, for sure it's really heavy and dense, but it's a pretty comprehensive tool set for what it is too.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 08, 2021, 08:53:14 AM
This one is a set up I find carrying really frequently along with a dedicated knife or a SAK like the Executive or Mini Champ. The organiser is one of a two pack I got from the missus at christmas, leather effect on the outside and soft fabric on the inside.

My loadout for this one never really changes: Leatherman Rebar, SAK Explorer Plus with a micro light/glowtab, and a Rovyvon Aurora A5X UV clipped onto the pen sleeve.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 04:38:01 AM
 :tu: I really like all three set ups.  Very functional tools in compact packages. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 06:30:01 PM
This one is a set up I find carrying really frequently along with a dedicated knife or a SAK like the Executive or Mini Champ. The organiser is one of a two pack I got from the missus at christmas, leather effect on the outside and soft fabric on the inside.

My loadout for this one never really changes: Leatherman Rebar, SAK Explorer Plus with a micro light/glowtab, and a Rovyvon Aurora A5X UV clipped onto the pen sleeve.

(Image removed from quote.)

That shade of green is absolutely gorgeous! :dd:

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 18, 2021, 10:16:15 PM
Thanks guys  :tu:

Green is my favourite colour  :whistle:

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2021, 05:38:06 AM
The missus surprised me with a pocket organiser I've wanted for a while. I've been interested in this style for a while and see it more as a 'possibles' pouch than just a pocket organiser. With that in mind I've only had it a few days so the dialing in of the exact gear load out will take some more time.

The side pockets are a little snug for some lights, I wish they'd be maybe 2mm wider but in general they work well.

Front sections contents:

-Rovyvon Aurora A5X UV
-Boker Tech Tool 1 in copper
-Fellhoelter TiBolt w/Fisher space pen refill

Between the fron organiser slots and the back zipper compartment there's a wide slip pocket, I imagine it'd do well holding a notepad but my wallet does that, so I went for some light first aid that is flat enough to not distort the shape of the pouch. Just some different sized plasters and alcohol wipes.

Zipper pouch contents:

-Leatherman Squirt PS
-Burts Bees original
-Boker Plus Access tool (Ti Pry bar, DIY dip ano job)
-Collapsing titanium 'toothpick' (I don't want to shank my own gums, but this is great as a misc tool)
-Two 500mg Paracetamol
-Matte Black Zippo w/ Zippo brand butane insert
-Small ziploc with safety pins, some q-tips and a decent amount of electrical tape and thin medical tape around an old fob style membership card

I've very happy with this pouch so far, it carry a lot and does it elegantly, it slips in the pocket of my sweats no problem or the back pocket of my jeans, cargo pocket etc. I just want to highlight that this thing is no where near capacity, the zipper section could easily accommodate more/bulkier items, the middle slip could hold a lot more, the front mollee and top loops are entirely unused.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #16 on: September 01, 2021, 04:11:01 AM
Cool!  How much does your kit weigh fully loaded with the gear shown in the photos?
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 04:34:29 AM
Cool!  How much does your kit weigh fully loaded with the gear shown in the photos?

The last one with the zippered pouch?

I can try and get a weight together :)

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 28, 2021, 06:10:01 AM
Got a refill of med supplies in, so I thought I may as well show the boo boo kit whilst it is (temprorarily) full stocked  :facepalm:

This kit is intended for everyday cuts, scrapes, and maladies and is usually found in my Maxpedition fat boy... fat man... I don't remember what it's called. If I use a back pack or messenger bag I'll move the kit over.

The base kit is a J&J first aid kit from Walmart December 2019, that I think cost $1.99. I tend not to have bigger boo boos, so some originally pieces remain!

There's actually still a little room left over if more supplies were needed. The Tylenol bottle is long used, I bought that in Florida in 2016 and just use it as a convenient pill container. Both containers share the theme of cheap goods picked up whislt visiting Disney World  :dunno:

Clockwise from top left:

- Cleaning wipes

- Tylenol bottle with two doses worth of: Ibuprofen, paracetamol, antihistamines and anti-poop pills

- Single use super glue for awkward placed injuries or deeper cuts that want to keep bleeding. Used superglue or 'liquid skin' versions of CA for years, but shamelessly stealing the single use portioning from Sos.

- Burn ointment, the first time I've ever actually encountered any, naturally I steam burned myself the next day and used some  :facepalm:

- Two small pieces of gauze

-Assorted sizes of plasters (band aids), the bottom left are square shaped

If you already don't, I strongly recommend a simple booboo kit in your pack or even pockets  :tu:

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 10:57:25 AM
The Burnshield gel is very good, for both fire/heat-source burns and for things like sunburn, making it essential if you're fair-skinned, ginger or have young kids.
I carry a couple of sachets in every one of my first aid kits!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: September 28, 2021, 04:37:40 PM
 :tu: for the boo boo kit.  No one wants to get and just bleed.  I've always carried something with me.  Simple meds are also part of my kit as well.  I have a larger one in my vehicle and carry a bit more when I'll be outdoors. 

I've used my kit on others more than myself. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 29, 2021, 12:31:55 AM
The Burnshield gel is very good, for both fire/heat-source burns and for things like sunburn, making it essential if you're fair-skinned, ginger or have young kids.
I carry a couple of sachets in every one of my first aid kits!

It was very soothing and I do feel better now I have something better at my disposal than a cold kitchen tap!

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 29, 2021, 12:37:00 AM
:tu: for the boo boo kit.  No one wants to get and just bleed.  I've always carried something with me.  Simple meds are also part of my kit as well.  I have a larger one in my vehicle and carry a bit more when I'll be outdoors. 

I've used my kit on others more than myself.

Yeah I have a more comprehensive kit in the car and at home, I'd like to carry more but I won't let myself purchase more involved things before I can go through a first aid course and use them properly.

When I worked with people I often gave out pain killers and antihistamines, being prepared in general has usually found me handing out tools and consumables to people that need them, usually in work. In an ideal world everyone would have simple preps  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: September 29, 2021, 01:04:20 AM
Get the training for sure.  Its nice to have some good basic first aid training.  My partner has more comprehensive training thru FEMA and I have some training thru previous jobs.  I keep a very basic one on me. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Chippyjosh

Reply #24 on: July 23, 2022, 10:23:55 PM
This thread is a place for me to post different aspects of my collections and the carry systems that arise them (as well as my thoughts on the system in question). So without further ado here's the first and most recent system, based off of a very old Gameboy Advance SP pouch:

A chunky boy, weighing in with this loadout at 1.2lbs  :ahhh

Front pocket unzipped, orientating the Swiss Card this way puts most of it's tool set at the opening, allowing quick access without needing to take it out.

Front pocket contents emptied out (top to bottom, left to right):
-A Swiss Card that I've probably had now for 14/15 years now
-The capsule from a True Utility Fire Stash, with ten cut down strike anywhere matches
-Duct Tape wrapped around a cut down nail
-Two of those ultra compressed towlettes that expand in water

Top down view of the main compartment, the folded hankerchief acting like a sleeve to keep the pry bar orientated for quick access.

Everything out, main compartment contents:
-Leatherman Rebar
-Fenix E11 w/ NiMH Duracell (2400mAh)
-'Godfather' knife (D2 blade, smooth G10)
-Hankerchief
-Misc. Stainless prybar w/550 lanyard (love the green)

Thoughts:

I'm liking this loadout so far, it covers pretty much all of the tool bases I want and the Gameboy pouch is wonderfully suited to this (I'm a little concerned about the main zipper durability, but that's it), the belt loop is both closed and has a snap option for quick removal. I went for the matches over an insert replaced Zippo purely to get more in the compartment, damn I wish the UK sold mini Bics  :pok: The biggest question marks over the kit for me right now are the knife and Rebar, I love the Rebar but it's the source of a lot of the weight, ideally I'd want the covnerter card for it to give more driver options. The only tool I'd really sub it out for is the Skeletool (Wave belongs in other kits already) but it's a knife centric tool in a kit that has a dedicated folder  :dunno:

The weight isn't really that bad, and despite the bulkiness this actually fits in a lounge/sweat pants pocket without over stretching it 9 or pulling said pants down). Definitely in the development stages still, but so far a fan of this load out  :tu:

Don’t know if it is a age thing but can’t see pics from first post. I love these kind of threads. My carry changes massively from off work and at work

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 23, 2022, 10:50:17 PM
Don’t know if it is a age thing but can’t see pics from first post. I love these kind of threads. My carry changes massively from off work and at work

Thanks for the interest!

I really need to update this with more options I regularly use and fix the first post. The missing images are due to a forum problem we had around a year back, unfortunately not all pictures were restored. I'll try and get it sorted in the near future  :tu:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 24, 2022, 03:25:42 AM
Got a refill of med supplies in, so I thought I may as well show the boo boo kit whilst it is (temprorarily) full stocked  :facepalm:

This kit is intended for everyday cuts, scrapes, and maladies and is usually found in my Maxpedition fat boy... fat man... I don't remember what it's called. If I use a back pack or messenger bag I'll move the kit over.

The base kit is a J&J first aid kit from Walmart December 2019, that I think cost $1.99. I tend not to have bigger boo boos, so some originally pieces remain!

There's actually still a little room left over if more supplies were needed. The Tylenol bottle is long used, I bought that in Florida in 2016 and just use it as a convenient pill container. Both containers share the theme of cheap goods picked up whislt visiting Disney World  :dunno:

Clockwise from top left:

- Cleaning wipes

- Tylenol bottle with two doses worth of: Ibuprofen, paracetamol, antihistamines and anti-poop pills

- Single use super glue for awkward placed injuries or deeper cuts that want to keep bleeding. Used superglue or 'liquid skin' versions of CA for years, but shamelessly stealing the single use portioning from Sos.

- Burn ointment, the first time I've ever actually encountered any, naturally I steam burned myself the next day and used some  :facepalm:

- Two small pieces of gauze

-Assorted sizes of plasters (band aids), the bottom left are square shaped

If you already don't, I strongly recommend a simple booboo kit in your pack or even pockets  :tu:

I have two of these--one always goes with me wherever I go. The second is kept in a MOLLE grenade pouch (which just so happens to fit the kit perfectly) on an army surplus assault pack I carry fencing gear in. Almost every time, thorns or barbed wire rip my hand open, and I have to use something out of it. I also have a third in an Altoid's Tin that was sold as a first aid kit by Coleman in a tin that is just a bit heaver duty than a regular Altoid's tin. That's the one I usually EDC in jeans, as it fits better than the J*J kit.

Mine is mostly a pile of bandaids, gauze pads, and alcohol wipes, plus a Classic SD and a pair of small, really pointy tweezers.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: July 24, 2022, 04:54:42 PM
Nice to see this thread bumped.   :tu:

I enjoy seeing what folks carry and their reasoning.  My off day carry is where I spend most of my thought in what I want to carry and what I end up carrying.  Thankfully my work carry is sorted out. 

Pants have played a huge role in carrying stuff.  I've gone from jeans as my primary pant to 5.11 pants.  Quite a interesting change for me.  I do however wear tactical pants for work specifically for the pockets so its not as radical as I make it out.  I dont think I look tactical? 

The pockets make for an easy way to distribute things.  I also still enjoy belt carry.  Closing in on my senior years I find attaching things to me is important. 

Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 24, 2022, 05:07:47 PM
Nice to see this thread bumped.   :tu:

I enjoy seeing what folks carry and their reasoning.  My off day carry is where I spend most of my thought in what I want to carry and what I end up carrying.  Thankfully my work carry is sorted out. 

Pants have played a huge role in carrying stuff.  I've gone from jeans as my primary pant to 5.11 pants.  Quite a interesting change for me.  I do however wear tactical pants for work specifically for the pockets so its not as radical as I make it out.  I dont think I look tactical? 

The pockets make for an easy way to distribute things.  I also still enjoy belt carry.  Closing in on my senior years I find attaching things to me is important.

Tactical pants tend to only look tactical if the rest of your wardrobe does, if you're not wearing a tight-fit sport material polo and carrying a backpack loaded up with MOLLE most people wouldn't look twice.

I really want to wear tactical pants (and tactical jeans!) but my weight doesn't really permit it at the moment, I'll get there  :tu:

Belt carry is incredibly convenient, for a long time in IT I had a Olight S1R and Vic Evo... something (wood handles and kinda like a Hiker but 80-odd mm) on my belt, at the 4 o'clock position they were always easily to hand, but never noticed otherwise.

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 24, 2022, 05:09:07 PM
I have two of these--one always goes with me wherever I go. The second is kept in a MOLLE grenade pouch (which just so happens to fit the kit perfectly) on an army surplus assault pack I carry fencing gear in. Almost every time, thorns or barbed wire rip my hand open, and I have to use something out of it. I also have a third in an Altoid's Tin that was sold as a first aid kit by Coleman in a tin that is just a bit heaver duty than a regular Altoid's tin. That's the one I usually EDC in jeans, as it fits better than the J*J kit.

Mine is mostly a pile of bandaids, gauze pads, and alcohol wipes, plus a Classic SD and a pair of small, really pointy tweezers.

They're wonderfully cheap little kits that are easily uplifted with some individual items. Carrying an ample supply of plasters can be very important!

The first iteration of my booboo kit was an altoids tin, it fit perfectly in a side pocket of my Peak Designs EDC pack.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $129.06
PayPal Fees: $7.28
Net Balance: $121.78
Below Goal: $178.22
Site Currency: USD
41%