Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vintage Table Saws

00 Offline SgtTowser

Vintage Table Saws
on: March 19, 2021, 11:54:29 PM
 I found a saw recently at a garage sale. I love the way it cuts. Anyone know anything about this brand good or bad?

Powermatic 10 inch artisan’s saw.

It has a and extension deck and fence that is extends the top surface to about 8 feet in length.

Really like the way it works so far. No safety junk on it either.

Was this an independent brand or a department store brand?

Thx in advance.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Vintage Table Saws
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 12:56:30 PM
It looks like they are quite expensive new. Looks like a good TS especially if you got it for cheap    :tu:

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 07:00:48 PM
It looks like they are quite expensive new. Looks like a good TS especially if you got it for cheap    :tu:

$200. I did not try to bargain the kid selling it down, because I remember being where he was at that age. Didn’t say so, but looked like he needed some change. Straight shooter, so I bought it on just a start and stop, no test cut. Some machines and sellers and prices ya just roll the dice. I wasn’t buying a used F-14.

I asked him to deliver it to my place for the price, since I am without pickup these days. It’s not like the old days. Now everyone’s got a truck, so they are always able to move things for me, especially for a few bucks. I still cannot get my mind around $50k pickups!

Anyway, I knew I could pick up some Craftsman or Rigid  for $50-100 at garage sales, but this solved the need instantly AND elegantly. It’s good to be able to cut two or three layers at once with no worries. 

I hadn’t even started pricing new saws yet, so I don’t know if it’s a good price. But it has a large extended cutting deck for 4x8s, the original fence, and angle cutting doohickey. Parts all there.

Cant recall the name for that doohickey.

But it was the sound and smoothness of that Mc motor that sent me into bliss. I swear. Elon Musk could fit one of these old 18/9 McMinneville, TN motors in each wheel of a Tesla-ized version of an old Alec Issigonis BMC Mini and Tesla  would immediately have an affordable electric, while Ford is still learning how to keep young men and women poor with E Mustangs! That Mc really, really spins smoothly and powerfullly. And no nanny state equipment. Sooooo much nicer than hand helds if you have room in a garage.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 07:02:11 PM
Nice find, I need a chop saw, or compound miter, whatever you want to call them, I originally sold mine and some tools but now that things have changed I need one!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 11:36:02 PM
Nice find, I need a chop saw, or compound miter, whatever you want to call them, I originally sold mine and some tools but now that things have changed I need one!
JR

Cant be 100 percent certain about your meaning regarding change, but if it’s CV related, yes, I think having carpentry and building/fabricating equipment around is wise the next couple years. I sold all my stuff about five years back, but I am slowly acquiring more again, even though I am a bit old and injured to get the most out of it. I’m looking for another drill press, and am even looking into 3D printing for the first time. If supply chains get interrupted even little plastic parts will need pritnting fairly quickly. America at least is built the last 30 years with cheap, short life componentry.

The tanker parked in Suez means someone is going for the jugular, or at the least is leveraging into an overland inter- and trans-continental electric powered mag lev trainsystem, plus a massive expansion of US and EU and China force structure in the Mideast to cement the NWO.

The Suez blockage is a staple of all war games since the 1970s oil crisis, so whomever ran it aground knew what they were doing. Every ship captain knows the draft of the Suez Canal, and satellites scan it 24/7 for silt-up, so this probably rules out accidental grounding. Even if you want to cheat and overload the tanker with heavy black market stuff submerged in the ship’s  oil tonnage, you know how much you can cheat, and no more. So someone must have parked it there on purpose. Not rocket science.

I doubt coincidence theory can explain this one.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 12:07:52 AM
Cant be 100 percent certain about your meaning regarding change,
Sorry, we were originally going to move to Florida but we did a pro/con list and ended up coming to the conclusion that it was better staying, yet I’d already sold off a good amount of tools to help pay for the move, but now we’re just going to fix up the house to our liking, but I’ve already put a 10” slide compound on the list! Cause well, I need it to do the work! :whistle:
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Online Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 01:22:12 AM
This website is very helpful with old American made machines. http://www.owwm.org/index.php

Read the rules.  Interesting as well as useful.  I also recommend looking for the owner's manual online.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 02:15:10 AM
This website is very helpful with old American made machines. http://www.owwm.org/index.php

Read the rules.  Interesting as well as useful.  I also recommend looking for the owner's manual online.

Looking for the OM is an excellent idea. Thanks.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 03:13:32 AM
Your new saw looks to be a good one. I’m a retired floor installer my last fifteen years almost all I did was wood floors. When installing flooring all your cuts are done freehand fences and miter gauges aren’t needed your saw just needs to be light. When you are working with thin wood 3/4 or thinner try using a 7 1/4 24 tooth thin kerf carbide blade cuts sweet and doesn’t though much saw dust in your face.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 04:19:19 AM by Mike 56 »
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 03:28:53 PM
Your new saw looks to be a good one. I’m a retired floor installer my last fifteen years almost all I did was wood floors. When installing flooring all your cuts are done freehand fences and miter gauges aren’t needed your saw just needs to be light. When you are working with thin wood 3/4 or thinner try using a 7 1/4 24 tooth thin kerf carbide blade cuts sweet and doesn’t though much saw dust in your face.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will give the blade a shot. Your experience is impressive.

I believe It’s got a 10 inch blade right now. 

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 05:20:25 PM
Most the work I do with my table saw is light duty so I mostly use 7 1/4 construction skill saw blades. Let’s say I am ripping 2x4s that’s when I use a thick 10 inch blades they handle heat much better. I could not tell by your pics but I assume your saw is belt drive.Belt drive saws have more power than a direct drive saws with a belt drive saw a 7 1/4 blade you will have almost no resistance cutting thin stock. One thing I see people doing when useing powder saws is they leave the blade razed way high over their work that’s not good you want your blade to be 3/8 to 1/2 over what you are cutting.  Good luck have fun..

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 03:07:34 AM
Most the work I do with my table saw is light duty so I mostly use 7 1/4 construction skill saw blades. Let’s say I am ripping 2x4s that’s when I use a thick 10 inch blades they handle heat much better. I could not tell by your pics but I assume your saw is belt drive.Belt drive saws have more power than a direct drive saws with a belt drive saw a 7 1/4 blade you will have almost no resistance cutting thin stock. One thing I see people doing when useing powder saws is they leave the blade razed way high over their work that’s not good you want your blade to be 3/8 to 1/2 over what you are cutting.  Good luck have fun..

Mike

Belt all the way. All comments  saved and printed to paper and soon to be put to use. Thank you again.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 03:18:38 AM
Went to the store today and got me a few things one being a 10-in Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw! :woohoo:
Although I’m more thrilled over the huge freaking gas grill, no more small charcoal,, everything will be delivered Tuesday!
JR

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #15 on: March 28, 2021, 03:38:19 AM
Went to the store today and got me a few things one being a 10-in Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw! :woohoo:
Although I’m more thrilled over the huge freaking gas grill, no more small charcoal,, everything will be delivered Tuesday!
JR

A survivalist mentor that calls himself Greywolf on the net has a SHTF solar oven and cooker using a giant fresnel lens out of those old rear projection TVs the size of a Mini Cooper. It is even simpler than gas. It probably could double as a directed energy weapon also!

😀

And congrats on the compound mitre. That’s what I was aiming for before Big Bertha crossed my path.  I may still get a CM.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 28, 2021, 04:19:45 AM
A survivalist mentor that calls himself Greywolf on the net has a SHTF solar oven and cooker using a giant fresnel lens out of those old rear projection TVs the size of a Mini Cooper. It is even simpler than gas. It probably could double as a directed energy weapon also!

😀

And congrats on the compound mitre. That’s what I was aiming for before Big Bertha crossed my path.  I may still get a CM.
I saw that, don’t get any body parts in that beam! I’ve never used a slide, so even though the blades smaller then my old one I can make a longer cut, I just can’t wait for the grill, it’s literally the same grill I had back in the day and I bought a rotisserie to put on it but never did, when I sold it I totally forgot the rotisserie, oh well, so I still have it and this time it’s going on this grill!
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%