Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old SOG Paratool, new saw

Nix · 11 · 1946

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Old SOG Paratool, new saw
on: May 11, 2021, 12:36:16 AM
I recently picked up a vintage Paratool from the 'bay. It is my second Paratool. It was in quite good shape, but lacked a saw.

My original Paratool also lacks a saw, but I thought it would be nice to have a saw + a blade instead of two blades in this one.

SOG sells saws, although they do not list the replacement saws as being suitable for the Paratool. Nevertheless, I thought I might be able to jam one into the Paratool with a bit of fiddling.

Step one, disassembly and cleaning:

In one hande, there were a couple of washers that difn't seem to have an active job. And....the thickness of the two washers was approximately the same as the thickness of the saw at the bolster. Seemed like an easy swap......

Well...not so fast......  :police:

The saw is a touch long for the Paratool. If installed against the far side of the handle, the tip is impeded by a shoulder on the scale. As a result, I had to move the saw to a center position and use the can opener as a spacer.

While the new set up is not ideal....the can opener is a bit tricky to access...I'm viewing it as 'quirky' rather than 'problematic'. The other issue is that the saw blade, located in the cent of the tool clump, prevents the pliers head from closing completely. The pliers close about 99.324% of the way before they come to rest against the saw blade. Not ideal, but not an actual problem either.

To sum up: the installation is not perfect, but I'm still pleased with the new saw blade.  And I'm glad to have been able to keep both the PE straightback blade and the SE Sheepsfoot blade.

I'll use this configuration for a while and test it out before thinking about sticking a saw blade in my first Paratool as well.  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Old SOG Paratool, new saw
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 01:47:09 AM
Why not grind the tip of the saw , it doesn't look like it would take much   :dunno:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 02:03:05 AM
Why not grind the tip of the saw , it doesn't look like it would take much   :dunno:

You are right. Might just need a 1mm reduction.

But I'm greedy when it comes to saw length....and I don't mind it being 'quirky' for the moment. If it becomes an issue, I may revisit the grind idea.   :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 02:55:41 AM
But I'm greedy when it comes to saw length....

Grind the obstructing shoulder then?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 03:17:00 AM
Grind the obstructing shoulder then?

Briefly considered that option, too.  A round file might do the job nicely.

But.....these old Paratools are one of SOG's nicest multitool offerings. Made back when SOG had higher quality standards. It seemed a shame to spoil the old tool. I think I'm more willing to file the tip off the saw first.

Sorry if it seemed like I was whinging...it is definitely a bit quirky as is, but completely useable. As if you didn't know any better or scrutinize the details like an MTo'er might, you might think it was stock.

No, I'll give it a test drive for a spell first. If I get grumpy, that blue thread locker will get softened up and changes will be made.  ;)

de Offline Shuya

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 02:26:09 PM
But.....these old Paratools are one of SOG's nicest multitool offerings. Made back when SOG had higher quality standards. It seemed a shame to spoil the old tool. I think I'm more willing to file the tip off the saw first.

Indeed, those old SOGs are way different from the current ones. Have the exact tool you modded here NIB, played a bit with it but didnt really found a way to carry it regularly, since the mechanism is a bit ... lets say unusual.
But the fit and finish is great.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 02:31:00 PM
Indeed, those old SOGs are way different from the current ones. Have the exact tool you modded here NIB, played a bit with it but didnt really found a way to carry it regularly, since the mechanism is a bit ... lets say unusual.
But the fit and finish is great.

:iagree:   The Paratool starts out life being 'quirky'. It is definitely a bit 'fiddly' to open and get tools deployed. For me that adds a bit of character. I also found that the more I used it the more fluid I became in deploying a tool. Some of the motions become 'second nature'.

If you are in a hurry, it might not be the ideal tool for you, but otherwise it is fun, comfortable, and has a few advantages.   :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 03:21:42 PM
 :like: It is a fiddly tool but a fun one at that. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 08:42:19 PM
Was doing a little yard work today. I had hoped that I would get a chance to use the new saw, but it was the PE blade that made the cut....so to speak.....*** sorry ***

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 09:00:49 PM
I have a couple of Paratools, all have a saw in the "inside"position. I ground the handle down a touch with a Dremel. Done carefully you can't tell.
IIRC I had a length issue with a serrated blade too.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 09:49:28 PM
Neill...   :ahhh   ...hope everything is going good mate.
The girls and I have been talking about you because we've been using your stove.
I recently made a new simmer ring for it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%