Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Versatile and small outdoor stove

Sos24 · 58 · 3624

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: May 15, 2021, 09:29:18 PM
The Firebox Nano is my favorite outdoor camping stove, mainly because as the title says it is versatile and small.

The plan started out with it being an emergency stove that could be put in my car or in an emergency bag as a “just in case”.  But then in testing it out, I fell in love with it.

I could give a run down of the various specs, how it works, etc but that information is easily found on the internet and there are lots of reviews.  I thought I’d stick to the key points I love about it and why I think it is a great little stove.

The first time I saw this stove online, I thought it was just another mini twig stove like all the others, which I had tried a few, but it isn’t.  What separates it:
- The Firebox Nano is mainly just one piece, instead of multiple small pieces that you have to fit together just right.  The main stove is hinged together so you just unfold it, which could be done with one hand if it had to be.
- It is strong and durable for its size and weight.  Many of the emergency twig stoves I’ve seen are so thin they are flimsy which is how they get the weight down.  The Nano isn’t the lightest you will find but it is also a lot stronger than many of the others.
- It is versatile, so you can use with things other than just twigs.  If you like using an alcohol burner or solid fuel tablets, you can.  It comes with a couple of pins that will hold a trangia or similar size alcohol burner at a good height.  You can add a solid fuel tablet tray or a gel burner cup that will hold each at an efficient height.  There is even a canister fuel burner that you could purchase for it, but I haven’t tried that.
- The Nano is a well thought out design that works, because they thought about how to do it as part of the design.  Big pot or small cup.  Little twigs or long twigs or Swedish torch, alcohol or wood.  Do you need added stability.  Do you need an ash pan.  Do you want a grill.  The designers thought these things out and tried to incorporate solutions in the design or accessories. 

Here are a few pictures
Which case?  The metal case, in addition to durability, is designed to help add stability and an ash pan.  There is also a leather that I am thinking about getting at some point

Folded next to a Farmer X for size comparison

The inside of the box freshly lit with some twigs and fat wood shavings.  The pot holders are turned in, but the can also be turned out for stability with a larger pan.  The piece on the top that extends a little is an accessory to help prevent heat and flame from side handles

With a 750ml pot.  There is enough space to slide twigs in the top or an oval hole on two sides to slide twigs in.  Longer twigs can be fed in as they burn from the side.

The Firebox Nano is not for everyone, but it definitely hits the spot for me and I wanted to share.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:35:03 PM by Sos24 »

se Offline RF52

Re: Versatile and small outdoor stove
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 09:36:31 PM
Very cool :like:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 09:49:43 PM
Looks like an excellent little stove. I like the flat-pack storage!  :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 10:51:24 PM
Looks like an excellent little stove. I like the flat-pack storage!  :tu:
It makes it easy to put in a bag or pack.

There are other flatpack stoves but the ones I tried are multiple pieces. You have to try to hold together while interlocking and if you don’t get it right it falls apart, so set-up takes more time.  The hinged design makes set-up easy.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 10:52:48 PM
I forgot to mention it comes in stainless steel or titanium, depending on desire and wallet.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 11:31:09 PM
I am definitely going to pick up one of those firebox stoves they look awesome and absolutely critical if you run out of gas. Thanks!

Been using a MSR PocketRocket for almost 20 years and it just keeps on going. It always works. small enough to fit in a pocket and it weighs in at about 2.5 ounces.

Great piece of kit!
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 11:36:38 PM by Explorer »

us Offline Sos24

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 12:54:44 AM
I am definitely going to pick up one of those firebox stoves they look awesome and absolutely critical if you run out of gas. Thanks!

Been using a MSR PocketRocket for almost 20 years and it just keeps on going. It always works. small enough to fit in a pocket and it weighs in at about 2.5 ounces.

Great piece of kit!
 :cheers:

My thought originally was as a back-up, but now I find I just use it and twigs a lot.

It is funny how far stoves have come, size and weight wise.  I have an old Coleman Peak 1 Feather from 1989 or 1990.  It still works great, but is huge by today’s standard and definitely not feather-weight.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 02:20:16 AM by Sos24 »

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 01:47:24 AM
My thought originally was as a back-up, but now I find I just use it and twigs a lot.
After reading that I just had to order one!
Thanks a bunch ya enabler  :pok:
:D

us Offline Sos24

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 02:03:54 AM
Very cool :like:

Are you the one who mentioned using FireDragon instead of hexamine?

If so, I recently got a Trangia gel fuel tray and some firedragonthat I used in the Nano.  It worked pretty well.  It seems it is like a cross between alcohol (liquid) burner and hexamine solid fuel tablets.

Actually I just looked back and realized it was Borg, who mentioned it and you mentioned your Särmä Wood Stove which is a similar concept.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 02:37:12 AM by Sos24 »

us Offline Sos24

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 02:27:45 AM
After reading that I just had to order one!
Thanks a bunch ya enabler  :pok:
:D

You’re welcome. 

In all honesty, I’d be surprised if you don’t like it.  You’ll find yourself looking for twigs on the ground before you know it.

Worse comes to worse, you use it as a back-up.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 02:39:17 AM by Sos24 »

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 02:40:13 AM
You’re welcome. 

In all honesty, I’d be surprised if you don’t like it.
Just know I’m going to love it. I’ve been looking for a lightweight back up stove and this looks perfect.
I’m very excited to try it out. Thanks again!

au Offline Echotech

Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 06:34:22 AM
You inspired me to try out my lightweight collapsible stove Sos. You’re right about them being a bit fiddly to put together, can see the firebox being a better bet, but worked well enough.

Usually use the Esbit but I’ve got a bigger smokeless (forgotten the technical term) one I’ve used in the past but a bit heavy for carry, fine for a camp site arrived at by car, for next weekend’s test

Going to definitely consider the nano firebox :tu:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 06:59:46 AM by Echotech »

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 06:41:15 AM
Seems like a well thought out little twig stove.  $50 seems a bit steep, but I’ll probably end up getting one anyway.

se Offline RF52

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 07:01:58 AM
Are you the one who mentioned using FireDragon instead of hexamine?

If so, I recently got a Trangia gel fuel tray and some firedragonthat I used in the Nano.  It worked pretty well.  It seems it is like a cross between alcohol (liquid) burner and hexamine solid fuel tablets.

Actually I just looked back and realized it was Borg, who mentioned it and you mentioned your Särmä Wood Stove which is a similar concept.
Looking forward to hear your thoughts on that later :tu:
My stove is the puzzle together kind, I like your hinged version better :like:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 07:50:55 AM
You inspired me to try out my lightweight collapsible stove Sos. You’re right about them being a bit fiddly to put together, can see the firebox being a better bet, but worked well enough.

Usually use the Esbit but I’ve got a bigger smokeless (forgotten the technical term) one I’ve used in the past but a bit heavy for carry, fine for a camp site arrived at by car, for next weekend’s test

Going to definitely consider the nano firebox :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

I also have a Solo Lite that is the smokeless (I think gasifier is the term I hear associated).  It is really nice and efficient as a twig stove.  But despite being efficient I didn’t like it as much because it wasn’t as versatile and as you indicated a little bulky for just throwing in a bag or pack.

Glad I inspired to try out yours.  I’ve come to enjoy a fresh brewed coffee while experimenting with the Nano and other camp stoves, even if just in the backyard.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 08:04:13 AM
I also have a Solo Lite that is the smokeless (I think gasifier is the term I hear associated).  It is really nice and efficient as a twig stove.  But despite being efficient I didn’t like it as much because it wasn’t as versatile and as you indicated a little bulky for just throwing in a bag or pack.

Glad I inspired to try out yours.  I’ve come to enjoy a fresh brewed coffee while experimenting with the Nano and other camp stoves, even if just in the backyard.
Gasifier that’s it :tu: was driving me crazy

The “jigsaw” I used today was actually pretty good but would be almost impossible to put together with cold hands and the edges are very sharp so a bit risky too. On the plus side it’s very light and also stable, although it would be on concrete lol
:cheers: enjoy your cuppa

us Offline Sos24

Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 08:30:31 AM
Seems like a well thought out little twig stove.  $50 seems a bit steep, but I’ll probably end up getting one anyway.

.There are some cheaper (and even some more expensive) twig stoves available.  Depending on a person’s desired use many of the cheaper would probably work well enough or maybe even better.

I had actually heard about the Nano a while before I actually decided to purchase one.  I had tried a couple different twig stoves and used them enough to learn what I didn’t like about them.  I then watched some videos and seen that the Nano was better in some areas that I didn’t like the others.  After trying it, I loved it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 08:48:29 AM by Sos24 »

us Offline Sos24

Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 08:40:14 AM
Looking forward to hear your thoughts on that later :tu:
My stove is the puzzle together kind, I like your hinged version better :like:

I did use the Trangia gel fuel tray in the Firebox Nano with. Firedragon fuel block, Tuesday morning.  The cup style tray definitely worked better than the flat solid fuel tray for the blocks due to the blocks becoming liquid is they get hot and some would run off the flat tray.  The blocks were able to get 12oz of water to a boil but went out almost immediately after.  The blocks do not burn completely.  They leave a film inside the cup that is kind of like a combination of wax, paper and ash.

The Firedragon block did better than the esbit (hexamine) that usually go out right as the water is starting to boil.  The Firedragon block lights a lot easier than an esbit tablet so that is definitely a benefit.  The probably only downside of Firedragon blocks compared to esbit is that the packaged Firedragon blockis are over twice the size of an esbit tablet. In the end I would consider both esbit and Firedragon blocks as a last option below twigs and an alcohol burner inside the Firebox Nano.

I do have some Firedragon gel (not in block form) on order, along with Utility Flame (another type of fire gel).  I am looking forward to seeing if either of the gels performs better than the blocks and how they do compared to the alcohol burner.  I would still consider

se Offline RF52

Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 09:54:39 AM
Nice! Thanks for the update :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 01:08:42 AM
I thought I’d show some more photos of the stove use based on today’s coffee making

This is what I started out with - the Nano stove, 650ml cup/pot w/12oz of water, some twigs, a little stick of fatwood, and firestarting combo of of ferro rod and baddest bees fuze.  For size reference, the fattest stick is less than an inch in diameters.

Baddest bees lit first strike and because too short to use in snuffing tube just used to light a couple shavings of fatwood and then dropped in

After 4:40 from lighting, water is ready to add coffee (starting to bubble), so at this point I won’t add anything more to fire.  The wood on the side is what remains of original stack.

Despite not adding more fire, it continued to burn and produce heat for over 5 more minutes. 

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: May 20, 2021, 05:41:23 PM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #21 on: May 21, 2021, 11:34:50 PM
Here is the Nano with an alcohol stove, sitting on top of the x-case.  The feet line up in the indents of the X for added stability, but aren’t in the picture because I had moved them so a could use the simmer ring to put out the burner.

The one thing I don’t really like about the stove, or more an accessory, is the carbon felt that comes with the X-case kit. It is very difficult to get the L-pins in to use it as a windscreen, plus it doesn’t work well as a windscreen in my opinion (too small).  Because of how thick it is, it can cause the x-case not to snap close if everything isn’t fit in just right.  I had a piece of scrap suede leather, that I cut to the size of the case.  In my opinion, it works better at lining the case and works as good if not better as a pot holder.  Usually I don’t need a windscreen, but I have a folding aluminum one I use when I do.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 23, 2021, 06:04:29 PM
Nice set up, i went through a lot of different setups but i'm settled now, fire dragon if just for a couple of coffees and want to go lightweight as 1 tab has a right burn time for 700ml or so and i recently got a twig burner for food and coffee using the Kelly kettle, i'm very impressed how quickly twigs can get you a rolling boil then use the rest of the time to heat other things and make toast etc  :tu:

My lightweight no hassle set up packs into the two pouches just throw them in your pack and youre good to go

I like the idea of collapsible twig stoves as it would mean i could get everything into the one black pouch but at the moment i don't mind carrying the army type stove, it ticks all the boxes for me  :tu:

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline Sos24

Reply #23 on: May 23, 2021, 08:25:23 PM
Nice set up, i went through a lot of different setups but i'm settled now, fire dragon if just for a couple of coffees and want to go lightweight as 1 tab has a right burn time for 700ml or so and i recently got a twig burner for food and coffee using the Kelly kettle, i'm very impressed how quickly twigs can get you a rolling boil then use the rest of the time to heat other things and make toast etc  :tu:

My lightweight no hassle set up packs into the two pouches just throw them in your pack and youre good to go

I like the idea of collapsible twig stoves as it would mean i could get everything into the one black pouch but at the moment i don't mind carrying the army type stove, it ticks all the boxes for me  :tu:

Nice set-up.  I’ve never tried a Kelly Kettle, but heard they can be really efficient

I think a lot of people would be surprised by twig stoves how easy and useful twig stoves are.  Twigs are also so easy to come by.  The real downside is how they are banned in certain areas because of the wild fire hazard.

Are those Lite My Fire cups and spork?  Do you have their mess kit?  If so how do you like it?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: May 23, 2021, 09:51:08 PM
Excellent thread folks.  :cheers:

The Nano sounds like a solid choice.  I never did like the idea of the puzzle box style.  As mentioned already; they just don't seem like a good mix with cold hands.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 24, 2021, 07:31:51 PM
Nice set-up.  I’ve never tried a Kelly Kettle, but heard they can be really efficient

I think a lot of people would be surprised by twig stoves how easy and useful twig stoves are.  Twigs are also so easy to come by.  The real downside is how they are banned in certain areas because of the wild fire hazard.

Are those Lite My Fire cups and spork?  Do you have their mess kit?  If so how do you like it?

I was surprised myself just how well the twigs did, i found spruce cones were a bit slow burning but they were a bit damp i think but as long as you have a good heart to the fire you can burn pretty much anything, no shortage of fatwood and birch bark around and its all free so its a win in my book :tu:

Yes its the LMF cups and sporks, i like the cups as they collapse and pack nicely and hold the right amount for a drink but they are not very stable and easy to knock over, i find myself kicking a hole in the ground to hold them or lean them against a rock, if they were a bit wider at the base i would be happier, i'm never near picnic tables or benches but they would probably sit on them fine, the sporks work well too although the spoon is a bit on the small side, like eating soup with a teaspoon, the fork is fine though. I haven't got the mess kit but i have had my hands on it a few times and i think one day i will buy it, i also have the salt and pepper shaker that has three segments, salt, pepper and a spice or whatever, the jury is out on that one as i only ever use it for salt and sometimes it spills into the other segments, not a huge problem but it would be better if it stays where its supposed to be, i would imagine a few days on the PCT it would be all mixed up together, like i say i just fill it with salt so no biggie  :tu:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #26 on: May 24, 2021, 07:45:05 PM

Borg, i've an older model kelly kettle, it has a cork rather then the green plastic? plug yours has - with mine, you're not supposed to heat the water as the plug in place as it will get launched as the steam expands - is there a vent on your plug ?
as an aside maybe i could dig mine out for the gsmre challenge ?  :think: :think:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 24, 2021, 09:08:11 PM
Go for it, weather permitting i will be using mine to cook my noodles too :tu:

The green plug has a steam whistle so it gets left on but has to be with the arrow pointing down for some reason, i don't know the cork ones but i would imagine you could carry your water in the kettle and not spill it? not sure it would be as easy with this as it might leak out but at least it wont blow up if you forget to remove it  :D You might be able to buy just the whistle plug to fit yours?  :dunno:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #28 on: May 24, 2021, 09:27:19 PM
Go for it, weather permitting i will be using mine to cook my noodles too :tu:

The green plug has a steam whistle so it gets left on but has to be with the arrow pointing down for some reason, i don't know the cork ones but i would imagine you could carry your water in the kettle and not spill it? not sure it would be as easy with this as it might leak out but at least it wont blow up if you forget to remove it  :D You might be able to buy just the whistle plug to fit yours?  :dunno:

I'm sure I could its that I saw your pic with the plug in place and was wondering. I've never forgotten to remove the cork . . . . Yet
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Sos24

Reply #29 on: May 24, 2021, 09:31:27 PM
I was surprised myself just how well the twigs did, i found spruce cones were a bit slow burning but they were a bit damp i think but as long as you have a good heart to the fire you can burn pretty much anything, no shortage of fatwood and birch bark around and its all free so its a win in my book :tu:

Yes its the LMF cups and sporks, i like the cups as they collapse and pack nicely and hold the right amount for a drink but they are not very stable and easy to knock over, i find myself kicking a hole in the ground to hold them or lean them against a rock, if they were a bit wider at the base i would be happier, i'm never near picnic tables or benches but they would probably sit on them fine, the sporks work well too although the spoon is a bit on the small side, like eating soup with a teaspoon, the fork is fine though. I haven't got the mess kit but i have had my hands on it a few times and i think one day i will buy it, i also have the salt and pepper shaker that has three segments, salt, pepper and a spice or whatever, the jury is out on that one as i only ever use it for salt and sometimes it spills into the other segments, not a huge problem but it would be better if it stays where its supposed to be, i would imagine a few days on the PCT it would be all mixed up together, like i say i just fill it with salt so no biggie  :tu:

Thanks, for the info on the LMF.  I find myself frequently looking between a few mess kits, but haven’t found one I really want, so I have an insulated steel mug, a cheap collapsable silicone bowl (originally bought in multi-pack to keep in car for water for dog, but decide the extra works for my needs) and a couple different sporks.  For salt and pepper, I have a small Coughlans one that works well as long as you unscrew at the correct spot, otherwise you spill it all.

Since getting the stove, I find myself noticing twigs just laying on the ground.  I find thumb size diameter and smaller work best for mine, but they are plentiful and free.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%