Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

-- Soldier On! --

Nix · 4279 · 89654

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
-- Soldier On! --
on: July 16, 2021, 11:38:42 PM
Welcome to the Soldier On! challenge of 2022.

“The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue.” — Napoleon Bonaparte

This may be my most ambitious challenge yet: a 90-day challenge. The challenge tool will be a Wenger or Victorinox Soldier.

The Swiss Soldier knife was the tool that started it awl at the turn of the century. The previous century. Since 1891, the Soldier model has undergone numerous changes, but throughout them awl there has be the constant: a SAK that has been the trusted companion of innumerable soldiers throughout history.

We have seen Soldier challenges run here on MTo before, but those were 30-day challenges. It is time to try something a bit more…challenging. If a 30-day challenge is like boot camp, this challenge will be more like Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) school.

Many of us, of course, awl-ready EDC a Soldier or similar model. And why not? The Soldier’s simple design still houses a highly useful toolset. So, for some of you, the idea of a 90-day Soldier challenge won’t seem that difficult. Of course, there is a plan and some orders to follow…..

Attention to orders!

General Order No. 1 — Challenge operations will commence on D-day, 31 January 22 (Local time). Operations will continue through D+89, 30 April 2022.

General Order No. 2 — Participants shall carry and use one Soldier knife, the model of their choosing, for the duration of operations. Permissible models include all officially issued Soldier knife models from 1891 through 2008. Also permitted are Victorinox Pioneers. GAKs (108mm), OHO GAKs (111mm), and DAK’s (111mm) are likewise permitted.

General Order No. 3 — Participants shall keep their Soldier knives in good working order at awl times.

General Order No. 4 — Participants will use one and only one knife for the duration of the challenge. If a participant’s knife is damaged, that knife will have to soldier on. If a knife is lost, the participant will be declared hors de combat.

General Order No. 5 — Participants shall post a picture for each day of the challenge. If, secondary to operational conditions, access to photographic equipment or the internet is not available, the photograph for that day(s) may be posted at a later date.

General Order No. 6 — All official daily posts shall be appropriately annotated for clarity with either the date or use of the D+X format, e.g. “ D+33: no uses today. ***photo here*** “

General Order No. 7 — Sustained operations may be associated with boredom and poor morale. All participants are hereby ordered to have mandatory fun. To cope with boredom, participants are encouraged to participate in ancillary challenges (non-tool challenges) and/or in-challenge challenges.

General Order No. 8 — As operations progress, additional directives and orders may be issued as conditions require.

Not too complicated, but it will require some endurance. As Ernest Shackleton said, “By endurance we conquer.”

If you think you have what it takes to Soldier On, jump in and enlist by signing the roster below!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: -- Soldier On! --
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 11:39:12 PM
001: Nix   :salute:

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
-- Soldier On! --
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 04:28:16 AM
This really appeals to me Nix, my main collection is Soldiers and Army knives so right up my street. Trouble is it clashes with the combo edge challenge I was looking forward to.

Over 90 days you’d really get to know your knife that’s for sure, I’m going to have to be a maybe at this stage

:cheers:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 04:34:20 AM by Echotech »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 04:32:56 AM
Nice!   :like:

( Sorry for the conflict. )

au Offline Echotech

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 04:35:46 AM
It’s a good problem to have :)
…and a 90 day badge would sure be cool :think:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 04:36:34 AM
Trouble is it clashes with the combo edge challenge I was looking forward to.

I hate combo edges. They seem like the worst of both worlds.

So, naturally, I'm planning on using a Soldier '08 with the combo edge for this 90-day challenge. Exposure therapy?  :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 04:36:59 AM
…and a 90 day badge would sure be cool :think:

Right?   >:D

au Offline Echotech

-- Soldier On! --
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 04:42:55 AM

I hate combo edges. They seem like the worst of both worlds.

So, naturally, I'm planning on using a Soldier '08 with the combo edge for this 90-day challenge. Exposure therapy?  :rofl:
:) I’m a bit obsessed with 111 models at the moment so was also thinking the 2008 or GAK…for 90 days a mod61/pioneer might be the be the best choice but no saw…love a saw :dd:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 04:45:25 AM
Aside from the combo blade, the Soldier '08 is pretty awl-some. The inclusion of the 111mm saw for a soldier knife seems like a really good idea.   :tu:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 04:47:17 AM
:iagree:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 04:49:39 AM
108mm GAK could be a good compromise. If one were inclined to refer to a GAK as a compromise......  ;)

au Offline Echotech

Reply #11 on: July 17, 2021, 05:00:55 AM
That time of year is summer in Sydney so wearing shorts think it’d have to be a 93mm for me.

Trouble with the mod61 is no keyring for attaching to a P7 clip, my preferred way to carry. Although could add a bail to one of the mod61’s :think:
Could always use a pioneer but this is a soldier challenge so feel it has to be a proper soldier

Hopefully the powers that be would agree a proper 90 day badge would be in order, or 3 30 day ones :rofl:

Alright how can I resist

001 Nix
002 Echotech

:salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2021, 05:11:51 AM

Could always use a pioneer but this is a soldier challenge so feel it has to be a proper soldier

I debated about allowing the Pioneer or not. In the end, I thought the Pioneer was close enough to the '61 that it should be allowed, but I agree that preference should be given to a Soldier.

Perhaps you could find/fabricate a slip or pouch that could be suspended from a clip?

Excellent to have you sign up.  :tu:

au Offline Echotech

-- Soldier On! --
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2021, 10:40:06 AM
Or I could of course just use one the SI’s I already have with a bail as shown in the pic posted earlier :twak: :rofl:
Forgot about them!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 11:06:32 AM by Echotech »

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2021, 01:38:27 PM
I'm proud of Nix for being #1 on the list.  :salute:  Normally the guy who gets his buddies fired up to enlist, doesn't.  Then they curse him all through boot camp.  :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: July 17, 2021, 02:29:17 PM
I'm proud of Nix for being #1 on the list.  :salute:  Normally the guy who gets his buddies fired up to enlist, doesn't.  Then they curse him all through boot camp.  :rofl:

:rofl:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 17, 2021, 02:29:40 PM
Slightly off topic, but I for one would never take part in any marathon challenge featuring a SAK without scissors or a cap lifter. I already know I will hate not having a cap lifter during the Yeager challenge, especially considering that it takes place during the drinking, uh, I mean holiday season. But I take comfort in the thought that my suffering will be over after 30 days.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: July 17, 2021, 02:31:23 PM
Indeed. This challenge will test our mettle.   :tu:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 17, 2021, 02:32:49 PM
Indeed. This challenge will test our mettle.   :tu:

Yours and what army's?  :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: July 17, 2021, 02:35:31 PM

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: July 17, 2021, 03:01:58 PM
Finally a challenging mission  :salute:

001: Nix
002: McStitchy

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: July 17, 2021, 04:27:58 PM

Hey!  Did you just kick Echotech out of the platoon? 

Was it a Section 8 case?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #22 on: July 17, 2021, 04:29:01 PM
002: McStitchy
003: NutSAK

Wait...did you say we could be declared hors?  Man, I don't know about this challenge...  :D
- Terry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: July 17, 2021, 04:31:03 PM
 :dunno:   It is possible to fail this challenge.   :o

Glad to have you, NutSAK!   :salute:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 17, 2021, 05:57:43 PM

Hey!  Did you just kick Echotech out of the platoon? 

Was it a Section 8 case?

(Image removed from quote.)

Whoooopsy... yes it was  :ahhh

002: Echotech
003: McStitchy
004: NutSAK

:salute:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #25 on: July 17, 2021, 07:19:57 PM
Is a oho Trekker a Soldier? :think:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: July 17, 2021, 11:12:23 PM
Good question.

I think so, if the OHO Trekker has the partially serrated blade. If so, it is the same as a GAK 2003. (Plus T&T). If we can allow a Pioneer, I think we can allow a OHO Trekker. I'm open to counter-argument, but from my perspective, if you can swap out scales and have a GAK, it qualifies.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 18, 2021, 01:17:29 AM
Well you had to know I'd be in for this one!  It will be fun spending the next few months deciding what to carry.... 

002: Echotech
003: McStitchy
004: NutSAK
005: Myron

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: July 18, 2021, 01:55:59 AM
Well you had to know I'd be in for this one!  It will be fun spending the next few months deciding what to carry.... 

I thought you might be up for this challenge.   :D  :tu:

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #29 on: July 18, 2021, 06:58:15 AM
This really appeals to me Nix, my main collection is Soldiers and Army knives so right up my street. Trouble is it clashes with the combo edge challenge I was looking forward to.

Over 90 days you’d really get to know your knife that’s for sure, I’m going to have to be a maybe at this stage

:cheers:(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Very cool collection Echo! I've been on the hunt for a few more 100mm soldiers. I've just purchased a civilian issue one along with a couple mod. 51s (one that's particularly unique) from overseas and I'm waiting for them to arrive. I'll make a post on the one man army thread when they get here. In the meantime I'd love to see some more photos of  your 1908s!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%