Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Curl Owners Club

Rich_SD · 496 · 30124

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Curl Owners Club
on: August 12, 2021, 09:31:55 PM
Let's get this party started!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Curl Owners Club
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 02:27:35 AM
 :woohoo: Congrats on being the first one to post that they have one and even with proof :woohoo:

:like: :like:

So how is it :pok: :D

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 02:55:19 AM
:woohoo: Congrats on being the first one to post that they have one and even with proof :woohoo:

I have just played around with it at my desk, and so far it seems exactly what I wanted - a thinner and lighter Wave.  I'll know better how I like it after carrying it around over the weekend.

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 08:55:28 AM
I have just played around with it at my desk, and so far it seems exactly what I wanted - a thinner and lighter Wave.  I'll know better how I like it after carrying it around over the weekend.

Looking forward to a full review. The Curl is listed at the equavalent of $114 here in Hong Kong, without a pocket clip, whereas in the US its $80 with a pocket clip ! Sounds like daylight robbery from the local distributor here !

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 04:39:23 PM

I made a few vids about it, but needless to say...its excellent. In fact I dare say the best thing Leatherman has made in years. No joke.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 04:41:34 PM
That is great to hear :tu: Just wished the price was a tad bit lower :-\ I will just wait until they go second hand and get one cheaper hopefully :whistle: :D

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 04:43:14 PM
That is great to hear :tu: Just wished the price was a tad bit lower :-\ I will just wait until they go second hand and get one cheaper hopefully :whistle: :D

I bet you $10 it will be $69 within the next 6 months for sure. I was sooo surprised..I was getting ready to trash talk it..then I opened it and it had a pocket clip...which completely changed my mind.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 05:01:25 PM by Maxlvledc »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 07:30:14 PM
Anyone know when the official release date for the Curl is? I haven't seen it up for sale on Leatherman's website yet.  :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 07:54:33 PM
Anyone know when the official release date for the Curl is? I haven't seen it up for sale on Leatherman's website yet.  :think:

I thought I saw an email from Leatherman announcing the release date as August 17, but I can't find it now.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 08:39:43 PM
That is more info than I have. I am shocked that retailers are selling their stocks out before the official release. Mind you, I think the same happened before...so this isn't an isolated incident.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 08:41:49 PM
I made a few vids about it, but needless to say...its excellent. In fact I dare say the best thing Leatherman has made in years. No joke.

I bet you $10 it will be $69 within the next 6 months for sure. I was sooo surprised..I was getting ready to trash talk it..then I opened it and it had a pocket clip...which completely changed my mind.

I'm honestly curious - why did the inclusion of a pocket clip turn you from preparing to trash-talking it to thinking it might be the best thing Leatherman has made in years?

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 09:43:59 PM
I thought I saw an email from Leatherman announcing the release date as August 17, but I can't find it now.

I just received the email from LTG announcing it.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 10:50:00 PM
Vendors are way early on this one :D

Offline dmattaponi

Curl Owners Club
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 11:47:46 PM
I'm honestly curious - why did the inclusion of a pocket clip turn you from preparing to trash-talking it to thinking it might be the best thing Leatherman has made in years?
I’m wondering the same thing?  I understand that the clip is a great accessory, but it’s an accessory, not the tool itself.  What is it about the tool specifically that makes it the best in years?  I’m genuinely interested, because I’m tempted to pick one up when available…although I agree with Poncho about the price.  I wish it were more in the Bond price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #14 on: August 14, 2021, 12:20:22 AM
Ok, I just got this email from Leatherman today.

Edit: I see now that Juan El Boricua already posted it.
Screenshot (77).jpg
* Screenshot (77).jpg (Filesize: 114.55 KB)
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2021, 12:24:35 AM
👍

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 14, 2021, 12:31:18 AM

First of all, I was definitely judging unfairly, but here is why I really like it:

-the slip joint lock is seriously strong
-the inner toolset is almost perfect
-the weight is 200g or 7oz (quite light)
-the ergonomics are excellent
-it comes with both a sheath and Clip thank GOD! (otherwise that would add a minium of $13 to the price)
-its individual tools are better than the Wingman IN EVERY SINGLE comparsion (and I prefer the plier to the spring loaded ones)

I’m wondering the same thing?  I understand that the clip is a great accessory, but it’s an accessory, not the tool itself.  What is it about the tool specifically that makes it the best in years?  I’m genuinely interested, because I’m tempted to pick one up when available…although I agree with Poncho about the price.  I wish it were more in the Bond price range.

I doubt very much that we will see new leatherman tools for the prices we have seen in the past. The cost of raw materials and the shipping of those materials has almost doubled since the end of 2019 alone. $69 is probably as good as it will ever get most likely.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 12:36:59 AM by Maxlvledc »

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #17 on: August 14, 2021, 10:44:29 AM
First of all, I was definitely judging unfairly, but here is why I really like it:

-the slip joint lock is seriously strong
-the inner toolset is almost perfect
-the weight is 200g or 7oz (quite light)
-the ergonomics are excellent
-it comes with both a sheath and Clip thank GOD! (otherwise that would add a minium of $13 to the price)
-its individual tools are better than the Wingman IN EVERY SINGLE comparsion (and I prefer the plier to the spring loaded ones)

I doubt very much that we will see new leatherman tools for the prices we have seen in the past. The cost of raw materials and the shipping of those materials has almost doubled since the end of 2019 alone. $69 is probably as good as it will ever get most likely.
I appreciate the response.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 15, 2021, 03:15:31 AM
I was thinking of starting a "Leathermans and Bourbon" thread, but I decided to post here instead  :drink:

Enjoying a little Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 16, 2021, 06:19:40 PM
As requested, here’s my review after using it over a 3-day weekend.

First, here is my intended role for the Curl: When I am working on a project that I know will require a tool, I carry a tool like my Wave or Surge. The rest of the time, I carry something smaller that fits more comfortably in my pocket, like a Wingman.  That is why when I saw a review comparing the thickness of the Curl to a Wingman/Sidekick, I knew I had to get it.  Note: over the weekend, I replaced a ceiling light, and this would normally be a project that would make me reach for my Wave, but I used the Curl to help with my review.

Overall Size:  I was initially worried because it’s just slightly larger than my Wingman, but it still fit in my pocket very comfortably.  It has just about the perfect width, thickness, and length that I didn’t even feel it when I moved around or sat down.

Overall “fit and finish”: Yes, like most Leathermans, it’s a thing of beauty!  Everything works smoothly and there’s no play in any tool.  It has none of the “QC problems” that some people report, likely after they abuse/misuse their tool then pretend that’s the way it arrived from Leatherman.

Pliers: I only used the pliers once to adjust several anti-siphon valves, but it was a good reminder why I carry pliers-based multitools rather than a Swiss Army Knife. The pliers worked as expected, and they are thicker than both the Skeletool and Wingman so I’m sure they can stand up to more abuse.

Wire cutters: They’re wire cutters.  I used them to cut several wires while replacing a light, and they worked perfectly.  I wish they were replaceable, but that’s probably unnecessary for lighter tools.

Blade: The Wingman’s partially serrated blade works well for my need, but it’s a pain to sharpen.  That’s why I appreciate that the Curl has a plain edge blade. It’s actually a little longer than I would have chosen, but I got used to the length quickly. It performed well for both light work (opening several Amazon deliveries and a bag of bird seed) and heavier work (breaking down boxes).

File: I know a lot of people don’t like the full-sized file on the Curl. I don’t often need a file, but when I do, the small half-sized files on many multitools (Leatherman included) are almost useless.  That’s why I am very happy that the second full-sized tool slot is a file. I just needed it once this weekend – to file the end of a mounting strap so it would fit in the outlet box – but it confirmed the need of a full-sized file.

Can/bottle opener: A can opener is probably the most ridiculous tool common on many multitools, that’s why I really appreciate that Leatherman makes the combination can opener, bottle opener, and wire stripper tool. I didn’t need to stop my covered wagon on the side of the Oregon trail to open a can of vittles, so I didn’t test its can-opening ability. It opened a bottle fine, and it stripped the ends of a couple wires on a ceiling light with a little effort.  I also tried to use it to open a box and a package, but it didn’t work well for those uses (I guess I would have to sharpen it first).

Bit driver: It’s a Leatherman bit driver.  I normally just use the Philips end, but this weekend I used the flat head to adjust some sprinklers.  Not much more to say here.

Flat head/pry tool: Having a pry tool is a very important tool for me so I don’t break another tool that’s not designed for this. I used it twice - to straighten a post on an outlet box, and to open a home security camera.  It worked as expected.

Scissors: This one was a surprise because I normally avoid multitool scissors – they often don’t work well, and I almost always carry a Micra.  I’m also one of “those guys” that says “why do I need scissors when I have a knife?” While changing the light, I had 2 incidents where a knife wouldn’t work well – removing a tag tied deep behind a light shade, and removing a wire tie.  I tried the Curl’s scissors on both, and it worked perfectly.

Awl: I didn’t get a chance to awl anything, but I am happy with this tool selection.  I think the only other tool that I would have preferred instead would be a package opener.

All Interior Tools: I have seen several people complain that the interior tools do not lock, but I found the slip joint to be firm enough to avoid any problems.  Sure, I would have preferred to have locking interior tools, but I suppose that would have driven the price up.

Anyway, I hope this review helps someone.  For its role (lighter, comfortable pocket-carry tool), it is a huge upgrade from a Wingman/Sidekick. It’s definitely no replacement for bigger and “better” tools like a Wave, Charge, Surge, Free P4, Super Tool, etc, but I don’t think that’s its purpose.  Personally, I am extremely satisfied with the Curl and it will certainly become my most carried Leatherman (not counting my Micra, of course). 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 16, 2021, 07:05:04 PM
 Very thorough review :salute: I am so glad to see that it met expectations  :tu: It is on my list for sure but will be a while before I get one either way :cheers:

Has almost every tool I would want on a tool and nothing extra (well except a can opener,  which I can sharpen to make a package opener  ;) :D ) Love tjat it has the diamond file as well :woohoo: :like:

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 16, 2021, 07:16:04 PM
(well except a can opener,  which I can sharpen to make a package opener)

I have considered doing this, but I am afraid of voiding the warranty.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 16, 2021, 07:46:19 PM
I only sharpen the end and by looking at it you don't even know that it is sharp enough to be a package opener ;) :cheers: So should be a voided warranty no more than sharpening the knife or an awl  :think: :D

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #23 on: August 16, 2021, 07:50:03 PM
I’m glad you like the tool. I think it has a good selection of tools. I have the Bond and the tools hold in pretty well. I just don’t understand why the blade locks as I think it would sell much better in Europe if it didn’t. I also think the price is too high but we’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 16, 2021, 08:02:18 PM
I just don’t understand why the blade locks as I think it would sell much better in Europe if it didn’t.

Then it wouldn't sell as well in the US - I know I wouldn't have purchased it.  Maybe they need to make 2 versions.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #25 on: August 16, 2021, 10:29:33 PM
Then it wouldn't sell as well in the US - I know I wouldn't have purchased it.  Maybe they need to make 2 versions.
I wouldn't buy it either (I probably still won't, but that's beside the point).

I'm not usually a stickler for locking blades, but I agree in the case of Leatherman's one-hand-opening blades on the Wave/Charge, Sidekick/Wingman/Rev....and now the Curl. The way these multitools are designed, there's just no way to incorporate a solid, heavy-duty spring (like you'd get on a non-locking SAK) without substantially redesigning the tool. This is especially the case on the Wave and Curl, where the blade pivot is only supported by the frame on one side of the blade; a strong spring would likely lead to the pivot bending. I say this based on my experience of disassembling and modifying a SAK.

The only way to have a non-locking blade would be to use a backspring similar to the blade on the Style CS/PS, where the side of the handle behind the blade pivot is used as a backspring. Such a design is fine for a keychain multitool, but I wouldn't trust it on a full-size MT like the Curl.

I think Leatherman made a great decision to make the Bond slipjoint. With that design, the blade can't fold on your hand because it will hit the end of the other handle first.
Lock1.jpg
* Lock1.jpg (Filesize: 83.58 KB)

Boomer Sooner!

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #26 on: August 17, 2021, 10:25:56 PM
I think it’s over priced, doesn’t distinguish itself enough price or size wise when compared to the Wave, and I just ordered one

gb Online SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 17, 2021, 11:01:47 PM
I think it’s over priced, doesn’t distinguish itself enough price or size wise when compared to the Wave, and I just ordered one (Image removed from quote.)

:rofl: :pok: :twak:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 17, 2021, 11:05:12 PM
I think it’s over priced, doesn’t distinguish itself enough price or size wise when compared to the Wave, and I just ordered one

The size was the most important factor for me.  I probably would have purchased it even if was the same cost as a Wave.  You're going to love it :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: August 17, 2021, 11:11:19 PM

Spoken like a true member of MTO :salute:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85