Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Curl Owners Club

Rich_SD · 496 · 30970

Offline dmattaponi

Curl Owners Club
Reply #30 on: August 17, 2021, 11:20:05 PM
Haha, thanks everyone for the comments.  It was the one handed blade, the pocket clip, smaller size and weight and the addition of the scissors and awl that got me :-). I’d been toying with the idea of a Wave for a while and thought the carry-ability of the Curl was appealing.  I would like it better at $69 :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Curl Owners Club
Reply #31 on: August 17, 2021, 11:22:03 PM
Now you need a Wave to compare it to :whistle:

:pok:

:rofl:

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #32 on: August 17, 2021, 11:23:30 PM
Now you need a Wave to compare it to :whistle:

:pok:

:rofl:
Haha, I’m hoping the Curl does it for me…but the saw is tempting…

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 17, 2021, 11:35:07 PM
I would like it better at $69 :-)

You would like it even better for $29  ;)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: August 18, 2021, 12:27:11 AM
For that price I would buy 2 :woohoo: maybe even 3 :whistle:

:D

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #35 on: August 18, 2021, 01:27:39 AM
That's what I paid for my first Leatherman, a Sidekick, in early 2013. Oh, how the times have changed!
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: August 18, 2021, 02:09:01 AM
That's what I paid for my first Leatherman, a Sidekick, in early 2013. Oh, how the times have changed!

I think I paid £27 for my Rev around the same time... I miss that money  :facepalm:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #37 on: August 18, 2021, 02:15:31 AM
I think it’s over priced, doesn’t distinguish itself enough price or size wise when compared to the Wave, and I just ordered one

It is not overpriced. Its outrageously overpriced here. And I just ordered one too. Why? I have been looking for a quality pocketable multitool with everything I need, and nothing I don't need. The Curl's spec looks as close as it can get based on whats available in the market today. My Skeletool CX was damn close to my perfect EDC but it lacks the scissors which I use often. Its the Curl's straight edge blade, pocketclip, scissors, bit exchanger, awl that sold me. If Leatherman replaced the file with a saw (useful for my hikes) it would be the perfect EDC multitool for me. I will see if the Curl fulfils my expectations when I recieve it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 02:26:50 AM by roamingcat »

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #38 on: August 18, 2021, 03:19:32 AM
You would like it even better for $29  ;)
That sounds like a deal to me!

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #39 on: August 18, 2021, 03:20:24 AM
For that price I would buy 2 :woohoo: maybe even 3 :whistle:

:D
Definitely 3 at that price!

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #40 on: August 18, 2021, 03:22:19 AM
It is not overpriced. Its outrageously overpriced here. And I just ordered one too. Why? I have been looking for a quality pocketable multitool with everything I need, and nothing I don't need. The Curl's spec looks as close as it can get based on whats available in the market today. My Skeletool CX was damn close to my perfect EDC but it lacks the scissors which I use often. Its the Curl's straight edge blade, pocketclip, scissors, bit exchanger, awl that sold me. If Leatherman replaced the file with a saw (useful for my hikes) it would be the perfect EDC multitool for me. I will see if the Curl fulfils my expectations when I recieve it.
Lol, I’m glad I’m not alone in this.

Offline Yoda mpb

Reply #41 on: August 18, 2021, 09:19:05 AM
So the Curl appeared yesterday on a few UK websites at £65.00! Perfect...... By the time I was ready to order the Curl had disappeared and only appeared on the usual sites at£99.95. Gutted :rant:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 18, 2021, 10:29:54 AM
Oz released it yesterday at a measly AUD$149.95 about USD$110.

I like this tool so far, a bit like an urban Signal without the survival stuff, but not at $150.

I'll be patiently waiting for the prices to drop, based on the reviews, I think a curl will suit my needs better than a Bond.

Any inmates with a Signal and a Curl, please post some comparison pics.

Cheers, Pete

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #43 on: August 18, 2021, 11:13:22 AM

Just received my Curl. Still recovering from the shocking price I paid for it! Will report back after I use it enough to see if it lives up to my expectation and if it can displace my Skeletool CX & Victorinox Compact as my everyday carry.
iMarkup_20210818_170447.jpg
* iMarkup_20210818_170447.jpg (Filesize: 92.31 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: August 18, 2021, 11:55:06 AM
Great thread folks.  It's not a tool set or form factor that particularly shouts "buy me" to me, but that doesn't mean it's not perfect for someone else.  :hatsoff:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: August 18, 2021, 03:20:50 PM

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #46 on: August 18, 2021, 05:50:16 PM
Mine arrives soon.  I ordered one because I'm an addict, even though I am pretty sure that I prefer the Bond and even the PST for daily carry.  But I have to have every new Leatherman to feed The Beast.

In favor of the Bond over the Curl, I muchly prefer the Bond's real, 3D phillips with long shank instead of the Curl's stubby, 2D driver.  I also really prefer to use only a Victorinox scissor, so the Curl's scissors for me are a waste of space.  I do greatly prefer the Curl's external blade and file.  I wish that all Leathermans had every tool on the outside.

So while I'm looking forward to receiving the Curl because new Leatherman offerings are pretty rare (and fun), I don't think it would replace a Bond or PST in my pocket.  The Bond and PST are lighter and less expensive than the Curl, and though one's favorite tools are very subjective, my take is that the Bond packs more tools that I like than does the Curl.  But this is all based on me having not touched the Curl yet.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 18, 2021, 07:15:03 PM
I'm going to wait for the price to drop somewhat and then I have some mod plans involving a 154CM blade and a plus pliers head. :D This little toy answers most of the niggles I have with my Charge.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #48 on: August 19, 2021, 06:13:13 PM

Got mine.  Its pretty much what I anticipated.  I like the outside-opening blade, and prefer the Bond's real 3D phillips with long shank.  Otherwise, the Bond and Curl are pretty similar.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: August 19, 2021, 06:22:36 PM
Welcome to the party!  :woohoo:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #50 on: August 19, 2021, 08:25:08 PM
I think I'll give it a miss. The locking blades make it "problematic" in the UK (not the OHO)

Awlso, as it appears I can get a Wave for the same price.. :think: :dunno:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87946.0.html
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: August 19, 2021, 08:44:42 PM
I think I'll give it a miss. The locking blades make it "problematic" in the UK (not the OHO)

What's up with that law?  Locking blades are safer than non-locking ones.  I'll bet whoever made that law has never done manual labor in their lives.  :(

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #52 on: August 19, 2021, 08:44:50 PM
My Curl was US$ 72.24 shipped here in The Colonies.  A Wave+ is $99.95 with Amazon Prime.  That $27 difference may be worth it for some people, especially if they are looking for something a little smaller and lighter than the Wave+.

Speaking of which, the Bond is 1 1/8 oz. or 32 grams lighter than the Curl, and just a little bit smaller in the hand.  Though you could live your life just fine with the Curl as your only MT <shudder>, I would pick the Bond by a small margin.

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: August 19, 2021, 08:49:57 PM
What's up with that law?  Locking blades are safer than non-locking ones.  I'll bet whoever made that law has never done manual labor in their lives.  :(

We have a culture of fear mongering when it comes to knives, hence our restrictive laws and the general scare tactics and people terrified if they see a blade outsidde of a kitchen.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: August 19, 2021, 10:20:06 PM
Congrats pnoodle :woohoo: :like: :like:

Where did you get yours might I ask :whistle:

Seems like a price more in line with what I might pay ::) :facepalm: :rofl:

If you don't want to say in open forum I will take a PM ;)

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: August 19, 2021, 10:45:38 PM
We have a culture of fear mongering when it comes to knives, hence our restrictive laws and the general scare tactics and people terrified if they see a blade outsidde of a kitchen.

Well crap, that sucks.   :(

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #56 on: August 19, 2021, 10:57:23 PM
This is the thing (unfortunately) the perception is that it's easier to stab someone when the blade doesn't fold.

It matters not that most victims are killed with cheap carving type knives, bought for a few pounds (or stolen)  ::)

Have a look at this link. It's not the official .Gov site but pretty much covers it;

https://heinnie.com/blog/clarifying-uk-knife-law/

The law, as was said, is an ass (or arse  :pok: ) Potato/Potato  ::)
They don't like it up 'em!

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: August 19, 2021, 11:23:07 PM
This is the thing (unfortunately) the perception is that it's easier to stab someone when the blade doesn't fold.

It matters not that most victims are killed with cheap carving type knives, bought for a few pounds (or stolen)  ::)

Have a look at this link. It's not the official .Gov site but pretty much covers it;

https://heinnie.com/blog/clarifying-uk-knife-law/

The law, as was said, is an ass (or arse  :pok: ) Potato/Potato  ::)

As someone into gear it's frustrating that people think I'd get their blood all over my nice expensive things  :facepalm:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #58 on: August 20, 2021, 01:57:03 AM
Congrats pnoodle :woohoo: :like: :like:

Where did you get yours might I ask :whistle:

Seems like a price more in line with what I might pay ::) :facepalm: :rofl:

If you don't want to say in open forum I will take a PM ;)

https://whitemountainknives.com/leatherman-curl-folding-knife-multitool-stainless-steel-plain-edge-832930/    :salute: :salute:

I ordered it on the 16th and received it on the 19th.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: August 20, 2021, 02:41:55 AM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16