Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Curl Owners Club

Rich_SD · 496 · 30835

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Re: Curl Owners Club
Reply #60 on: August 20, 2021, 03:05:49 AM
So back to locking blades...

Bob: "Hey, John, could I see your new pocket knife?"
John: "Sure!  See here... it has a micarta handle and a 70mm stainless steel blade."
Bob: "Wow! That is very nice!  What does that tab do?"
John: "Oh, that unlocks the.."
Bob: "IT HAS A LOCKING BLADE!!??  :o  "AHHHH!!"   :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #61 on: August 20, 2021, 03:09:59 AM
Forgot to mention I used coupon code CCE and got 10% more off :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

So it ended up being even cheaper :woohoo: :like:

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #62 on: August 20, 2021, 03:38:09 AM
Forgot to mention I used coupon code CCE and got 10% more off :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

So it ended up being even cheaper :woohoo: :like:

:rant: :rant: :rant:

Dammit Poncho! I have been clean for two weeks. Avoided temptation and managed to not bought a MT or knife in two whole weeks (not counting the Rambler I bought my wife  :whistle:). Started feeling good about myself. Started feeling that I have gotten a hold on this addiction. And then you come along talking about how you saved money while buying a Curl. Now I have to buy it too  :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd:

By the way, thanks for mentioning the coupon  :tu:
Just need to see if the wife is okay with me buying it 🤞

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: August 20, 2021, 04:08:02 AM
I know :facepalm: I am a bad influence :whistle: :rofl:

powernoodle started it by saying he got it for the price he did though :pok: :D

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: August 20, 2021, 04:10:00 AM
Huh, in the states if you have friends in lower tax states and they were amiable, could you pay via them as the billing info but still have it delivered to yourselves, saving a bit in the process?  :think:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Adam5

Reply #65 on: August 20, 2021, 04:18:04 AM
I think it’s over priced, doesn’t distinguish itself enough price or size wise when compared to the Wave, and I just ordered one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:hatsoff:
 :rofl:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #66 on: August 20, 2021, 04:19:55 AM
Thanks pnoodle :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :hatsoff:

I'm happy to corrupt you.  I mean help you.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #67 on: August 20, 2021, 04:25:32 AM
I'm happy to corrupt you.  I mean help you.

Careful. Your actions can have unforeseen consequences, such as causing me to spend money  :rofl:

Thanks for the link to White Mountain Knives  :tu:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #68 on: August 20, 2021, 04:27:28 AM
Huh, in the states if you have friends in lower tax states and they were amiable, could you pay via them as the billing info but still have it delivered to yourselves, saving a bit in the process?  :think:

Some sellers require the billing and shipping addresses to match.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: August 20, 2021, 04:55:13 AM

It depends...

If the seller is shipping to a buyer in another state (one where they do not have a presence), they are not required to charge a sales tax.  However, the buyer's state will likely require sales tax to be paid there.  It's confusing.   

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #70 on: August 20, 2021, 11:07:45 AM
Been carrying the Curl with its pocketclip hanging inside my front right pants pocket for the past day or two. My initial thoughts:-
POCKETABILITY
While not nearly as light as my Vic Compact or Skeletool CX, the Curl is 'acceptable' to me as an everyday carry. Probably near my maximum bulk tolerance as an EDC. By way of reference, I have a first gen Wave and Vic Spirit X, none of which I will carry as an EDC because of the bulk and weight. Both great toolsets though.
TOOLSET
Plain edge blade, pocketclip, scissors, bit exchanger, awl, what more do I want? If I can have the wood saw instead of diamond file it would be the perfect EDC toolset for me. Please Leatherman, can you fix that, maybe Curl version 2 (call it Curl S)?
QUALITY
Excellent. Much better than my old Wingman.
VERDICT
Pocketability is top priority for me as an EDC. The Curl delivers that, plus a more complete toolset that I use often. More than the Skeletool (+scissors) and the Vic Compact (+pliers), in an acceptable lightweight form factor that I can carry with me everyday. It will be my EDC going forward, for now. Until Leatherman gives me Curl S, with a saw !
iMarkup_20210820_170644.jpg
* iMarkup_20210820_170644.jpg (Filesize: 45.04 KB)

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #71 on: August 20, 2021, 01:42:58 PM
I wonder if the saw from the Wingman/SideKick would fit ?

Offline Yoda mpb

Reply #72 on: August 20, 2021, 03:31:26 PM
Ordered  :oops: and being delivered tomorrow!  :woohoo:

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: August 20, 2021, 04:46:21 PM
 :like:

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #74 on: August 20, 2021, 05:08:40 PM
I wonder if the saw from the Wingman/SideKick would fit ?
I suspect a Wave saw would fit it and you can sometimes get them on EBay for around $20 US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Online hsherzfeld

Reply #75 on: August 20, 2021, 05:21:42 PM
I suspect a Wave saw would fit it and you can sometimes get them on EBay for around $20 US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure the Wave saw will fit the Curl, since the Curl appears to have the standard Wave file, and the file and saw are interchangeable on the Wave; in fact, that's my plan if I end up buying a Curl at some point. I probably wouldn't be interested otherwise.

However, I highly doubt the Sidekick saw will fit. Assuming the blade pivots are the same diameter on the Curl as they are on the Wave, the pivot hole in the Sidekick saw is too small to fit onto the Wave/Curl pivot. I just tested it on my Wave and it doesn't fit.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #76 on: August 20, 2021, 10:18:32 PM
Ordered  :oops: and being delivered tomorrow!  :woohoo:

Congrats :woohoo: :like:

Offline Yoda mpb

Reply #77 on: August 20, 2021, 11:06:34 PM
Congrats :woohoo: :like:

Thanks guys, it's my wife's birthday tomorrow! So I thought I needed a treat too! :drink: Really excited for the Curl!

us Online hsherzfeld

Reply #78 on: August 21, 2021, 12:11:49 AM
The Curl is already showing "In stock soon" on Amazon.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #79 on: August 21, 2021, 01:40:18 AM
Thanks for the ideas gents ! I have a first gen Wave and I am quite happy to swap over the saw to my Curl. As I haven't taken apart a full size LM multitool yet, any advice/ tips/ what to watchout for would be appreciated. More concerned how to put it back together, especially with the locking mechanism on one end and slip joint spring on the other.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: August 21, 2021, 02:26:39 AM
Thanks for the ideas gents ! I have a first gen Wave and I am quite happy to swap over the saw to my Curl. As I haven't taken apart a full size LM multitool yet, any advice/ tips/ what to watchout for would be appreciated. More concerned how to put it back together, especially with the locking mechanism on one end and slip joint spring on the other.

If all you're doing is putting a saw in, I think you just need to yank the pivot out and make the tool swap. It should be as simple as maintaining any locking folding knife, just be aware that they use security bit Torx.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Online hsherzfeld

Reply #81 on: August 21, 2021, 02:30:13 AM
Assuming you already have a pair of Torx T10 security bits, make sure that you have some loc-tite.

You shouldn't have to take the whole Wave apart to remove the saw.

Removing the saw from a Wave is pretty easy, since the male half of the pivot screw threads into the saw side of pivot pin. So all you have to do is unscrew the pivot screw on the saw side and slide the saw off of the pivot. You shouldn't have to remove the entire pivot pin to take the saw off. Be sure to save the bronze washer that's between the saw and the frame.

Note: You might have to pull the whole pivot pin out to remove the saw, but it all depends on which side the pivot screw threads into. It works equally well either way, and I've dissembled and reassembled my Wave so many times that I'm not sure of the original orientation of the pivot.

Removing the file from the Curl is exactly the same (I'm assuming this, based on the visual similarity of the tools and their use of standard Wave parts).

Boomer Sooner!

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #82 on: August 21, 2021, 02:43:50 AM
Appreciate the advices gentlemen, thanks :salute:. Sounds like a less daunting task then I first thought  :). Thats my next project for the weekend. You all have a great weekend ahead!

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: August 21, 2021, 04:14:59 AM
I cringe at the thought of replacing the file with a saw, but different strokes for different folks  :) 

Please post some pics when you're done.

us Online hsherzfeld

Reply #84 on: August 21, 2021, 04:17:25 AM
Just ordered mine! $65.02 thanks to the coupon code from Poncho!

Boomer Sooner!

us Online hsherzfeld

Reply #85 on: August 21, 2021, 04:19:22 AM
I cringe at the thought of replacing the file with a saw, but different strokes for different folks  :) 

Please post some pics when you're done.

As you say, different strokes for different folks. I use my Wave's saw probably 5x more often than the file. I'm already planning the mod.

Boomer Sooner!

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #86 on: August 21, 2021, 10:44:31 AM
As already mentioned you don’t need to take it all apart, just the screw that holds the bit you want to take out. Did a video a while back taking apart my Surge, it will give you an idea what to expect. Nothing to be afraid of.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #87 on: August 21, 2021, 02:19:57 PM
D*mn you Poncho65!!   :rant:

I've been such a good boy lately, but I can't pass up the curl at $65 shipped.  :facepalm:

Also, I will *never* judge women for having 50 pairs of shoes we are all just as sick.

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #88 on: August 21, 2021, 05:01:37 PM
As already mentioned you don’t need to take it all apart, just the screw that holds the bit you want to take out. Did a video a while back taking apart my Surge, it will give you an idea what to expect. Nothing to be afraid of.

Thank you. :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: August 21, 2021, 06:10:45 PM
Glad to help you all :whistle:

I am in the same boat by ordering mine as well though :facepalm: :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!