Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerPint -- 26 TOOLS!!!

aPpYe · 15 · 7357

Offline aPpYe

PowerPint -- 26 TOOLS!!!
on: October 05, 2021, 12:34:25 AM
A buddy of mine gifted me a pocket knife a few years back.  I hadn't really carried one since I was a little kid.  Late seventies and early eighties!  Anyone?  I kind of politely thanked him while thinking it wasn't something I would really use.  He caught on to that and convinced me to carry it around for a month.  After said month I was surprised by how much use I got out of it, especially as I was unconcerned with keeping the blade super sharp.  Worrying about that all the time severely hinders a pocket knife's usefulness in my opinion.  I digress.

I am now a genuine red blooded MAN.  I whip out that manly tool whenever the need arises!  Ahem.  I did carry one of those piranha things around for a year or so but it is heavy and not having needlenose pliers had me scratching my head more than a few times.  I ended up carrying around the pocketknife again.  Anyway, NOT having something clipped to my pocket is no longer an option.  Read: having a Y chromosome is not enough to call yourself a man!  You need a tool in your pants!  There I go again.

I shopped around the internet for a small, lightweight multi-tool and landed on the PowerPint.  I did see the negative reviews, but figured I would roll the dice anyway.  I went for the black version because, well ... black.  After some drama with FedEx, the package arrived a bit late.  Once I got it in hand, I did see some misalignment that appears to have been caused by one of the screws being loose next to that super convenient all-you-need-is-a-maginifying-glass-to-use-it "protractor."  I blue thread-locked all four of the screws, cinched them down and now things line up reasonably well.  It's still not perfect but it's much better than how it initially arrived:

Some of the negative reviews rightly lambasted it for not having standard things like flathead screwdrivers and whatnot.  Actual usable tools that might be harder to reach are more important than little fingernail grabby tip things on crippled tools according to me.  I bought it with the intention of modifying it anyway.  Here's what I did:

First, I removed the keyring thing and replaced it with a SIM card extractor.  It could be prettier.  I work in IT and do need this somewhat often, now I've always got one!  Anyway, carrying something this heavy ON YOUR KEYS sounds like car trouble to me ...  Is that a myth?

As I have seen others on this forum do, I ground the tip of the file into a medium/large flathead screwdriver ...

I flattened and ground one end of the "line cutter" into a scraper.  Wow, that macro shot exposed the need do a little more grinding there!  I also sharpened the other tip so it could poke through those clamshell/blister pack things, allowing the sharpened line cutter to open those.  I guess it can help gut small game too.  It works well enough ...

I had seen others making another tiny screwdriver out of the tip of the can opener, but since this thing already has one (too big for most glasses, by the way), I ground the tip into a scriber, a knot untier thing, AND a pokey thing!  That's THREE TOOLS!  cOUGH cOUGH ...  While I was at it sharpened the can opener so it can actually open cans ...

Again, as others have done, I also ground the end of the bottle opener into a small/medium flathead screwdriver.

So yeah, in total, I added these tools:
  • SIM Extractor
  • Medium/Large Flathead Screwdriver
  • Scraper
  • Clamshell opener thing
  • Scriber
  • Knot Untier thing
  • Pokey thing
  • Small/Medium Flathead Screwdriver

That's 26 tools!  I AM NOT EXAGGERATING!!!!  SOG IS NOT EXAGGERATING!!!

Let me know if you can't see these pictures ...

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: PowerPint -- 26 TOOLS!!!
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 04:31:37 AM
What, no USB-C port?   :)   Good job.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline aPpYe

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 07:29:22 PM
I'm working on it ... Frankly, I won't be happy until my wallet, cell phone, and multitool are all one thing.

EDIT:  Integrated into each hand, of course.  With lasers.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 08:48:20 PM by aPpYe »

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 08:47:20 PM
 :rofl:    ...nice job  :like:

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 03:23:45 PM
Nice job, if there’s one thing the Power Pint needs it’s lots and lots of mods. There’s a ton of potential with this little tool, and if it had a proper file, functional scissors and better steel it would probably displace all of my multis for daily carry.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 09:22:00 PM
Why do people do this to me?

Now I'm looking at one.  I think the size/weight could be just what I'm looking for.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Offline aPpYe

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 06:03:10 PM
I am liking mine so far ...  I grabbed it because I came from carrying a smallish pocketknife and wanted something light and small.  It fits the bill pretty well. 

If the scissors or the file become unsatisfactory, I suppose I can get a grinder to an implement from another tool and make it work.  Maybe.  I would think the same thing could be done with a knife blade.  That being said, maybe I am missing something here, the file does file things and the scissors do cut stuff.  Why do people hate these?

I might replace one of the knife blades with one of my jigsaw blades in this manner.

I have a toler union (supposedly) on the way in a few weeks, but I kind of think it will be too heavy at somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-13 (EDIT: dang!  14.6 ounces).  We'll see.  I kind of like my powerpint!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 06:14:15 PM by aPpYe »

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 07:58:32 PM
I am liking mine so far ...  I grabbed it because I came from carrying a smallish pocketknife and wanted something light and small.  It fits the bill pretty well. 

If the scissors or the file become unsatisfactory, I suppose I can get a grinder to an implement from another tool and make it work.  Maybe.  I would think the same thing could be done with a knife blade.  That being said, maybe I am missing something here, the file does file things and the scissors do cut stuff.  Why do people hate these?

I might replace one of the knife blades with one of my jigsaw blades in this manner.

I have a toler union (supposedly) on the way in a few weeks, but I kind of think it will be too heavy at somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-13 (EDIT: dang!  14.6 ounces).  We'll see.  I kind of like my powerpint!
If you’re enjoying yours I don’t see a problem  :tu:

Personally I find the file and scissors to be the most ineffectual implements on the tool. The file isn’t really a file, it’s just a piece of bar with some scratches on it and it really doesn’t work for file jobs.
 The scissors are mediocre, and the spring breaking is a common issue. Mine snapped while the tool was sitting on my bedside table.

Those aside though I do like mine. The size is great for an easy to carry EDC multitool and it’s quite dense with tools. The pliers are awesome also, and the integral bit-holder is ingenious.

Offline aPpYe

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 06:32:02 PM
Yeah, I have not used the scissors all that much other than initial quick testing.  I keep waiting for that spring to break.  If it does, I will try to cannibalize something else.  I have a cheapie something or other with scissors that look like they'd fit.

I have a Gerber multiplier 600(?) I can steal the file and maybe the knife blade from.  I'd have to cut them down to size and grind in a notch so they lock.  The widths seem about right.  Do the Gerbers use better metal?  The file is certainly rougher.

I'm thinking of adding one or two jigsaw blades to it in a similar manner.  One would perhaps replace the serrated blade, and the other might be shoehorned into the other side next to the regular blade.  There seems to be room, minus some brass(?) washers ...

I could also (purchase and) cannibalize a victorinox or something that is known to have better metal for some of this.

Offline aPpYe

Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 04:23:19 AM
Okay, here's what I spent a good FOUR HOURS on today!  Maybe more, there's quite the learning curve on reassembly of this guy!  I certainly have a NEWFOUND RESPECT for the engineering that goes into these things.  The geometry really impresses me.

Anyway, I replaced the serrated blade (and a few shims) with these BAD MOFOS!!!

That's like, SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND TOOLS!

... They don't lock and they don't sit perfectly straight when in use but they're functional.  They cut stuff and everything, and that's totally a second scraper on the end of the metal saw!  BADASS!

At the risk of starting THAT conversation again, I am now sad that I no longer have a serrated blade.  I still can't decide what I like better between the two blade types. :dunno: 

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 11:29:39 PM
 :like:
Two for one is not a bad trade off. Very tool dense package now  :tu:

Offline Wgrey

• New User
Reply #11 on: February 25, 2022, 11:14:39 AM
Love the  SIM card extractor idea! Might make one and see how it works, though I have a lanyard attached now.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 04:55:02 PM
Love these mods.  Really nice work. I intend to modify the bottle opener and line cutter in the same way.

I don't have a grinder, this will be file and elbow grease.  (But not a SOG file because they suck.)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #13 on: April 08, 2022, 12:21:06 AM
Why do people do this to me?

Now I'm looking at one.  I think the size/weight could be just what I'm looking for.

Well, after chasing one down for over a month I finally got one, from Academy Sports, I can say that I really like mine.  I haven't got around to doing anything to it, yet (might not).
I made me a leather slip that I carry on a paracord lanyard and picked up a magnetic bit holder/extension along with several phillips and slotted bits to go along with it.

I'm a happy camper...

* smily thumbsup.jpg (Filesize: 14.89 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Offline Dr. Ive

• New User
Reply #14 on: September 03, 2023, 10:37:40 PM
Okay, here's what I spent a good FOUR HOURS on today!  Maybe more, there's quite the learning curve on reassembly of this guy!  I certainly have a NEWFOUND RESPECT for the engineering that goes into these things.  The geometry really impresses me.

Anyway, I replaced the serrated blade (and a few shims) with these BAD MOFOS!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

That's like, SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND TOOLS!

... They don't lock and they don't sit perfectly straight when in use but they're functional.  They cut stuff and everything, and that's totally a second scraper on the end of the metal saw!  BADASS!

At the risk of starting THAT conversation again, I am now sad that I no longer have a serrated blade.  I still can't decide what I like better between the two blade types. :dunno: 

Hey, I know it's an old thread but it's the only one I've found with the mods I wanted to do.
I've been playing around with a PP and a PL and some other broken MTs, hoping to find a better blade, better scissors, a better file, and a saw.
Being used with my LM Surge where I can replace the Jigsaw blades and therefore have wood and metal and anything, I tried to see if I could find one of these adapters from some other tool, but did not have luck.
Could you post other pics of how exactly did you fit these two saws in the PP?
I totally want to do it.
My issue is that I have no grinder.
I was thinking about making a knot opener with the tiny flat screwdriver.
And I tried to transplant the closing mechanism of the PL to the PP, but it is only possible on the outside and by taking the bolts of the PL AND modifying them a bit. Not so really worth the hassle imo.

Looking forward to your pics and modding instructions!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%