Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kamakiri’s ‘no-drill’ 2.2mm SAK rivet removal

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Kamakiri’s ‘no-drill’ 2.2mm SAK rivet removal
on: October 25, 2021, 07:55:09 PM
Been working on techniques to be able to remove SAK rivets quickly and easily without damaging liners and bushings or scales. Being able to do that and end up with a reusable pin…well, was just a bonus.

I still have some work to do to get the process to prevent any marring of the liners/scales/bushings. I’m still happy about the progress.

Not pictured, but did most of a 4th pin without marring the bushing…but couldn’t get it to release ‘gently’. Used manly force to get it separated…so bushing damaged cosmetically though 100% usable and unaffected strength wise. 2.2mm pin also 100% reusable in same width knife.

This back tool pin was done by hand in 11 seconds. Went a tiny bit too far and made contact with the liner.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Kamakiri’s ‘no-drill’ 2.2mm SAK rivet removal
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 10:00:30 PM
Kind of a pointless post if you don't tell us how you did it   :pok:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 10:05:36 PM
Sorry not sorry :)

:dunno:

Anyway…

Managed to do a couple with essentially no damage to the bushing or liners.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 10:34:12 PM
Kind of a pointless post if you don't tell us how you did it   :pok:
:iagree:
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 11:17:46 AM
Great job Grant  :tu:

...but how?   :popcorn:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 11:31:46 AM
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 04:24:11 PM
Have I become a meme? :)

Sir, yes sir!  ;)

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 04:44:30 PM
:rofl:

And so are you!

No offense buddy ;)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 05:06:33 PM
Great job Grant  :tu:

...but how?   :popcorn:

Thanks, Matt.  :)

But I’m just gonna leave this at showing what can be done. Like setting or repairing inlays in cellidor…or everything I know about SAK chronology…or whatever. I’m not sharing all of it. I understand and appreciate asking, but ridicule and demanding don’t go far with me especially when coming from people who work here. I’ve had enough of that.

I think I would ask you to reserve ’Grant’ for def. Not that he and I interact, much…but just to avoid confusion in open conversations here. Thanks.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 05:07:54 PM
:rofl:

And so are you!

(Image removed from quote.)

No offense buddy ;)

None taken!  :like:  :D

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 05:14:01 PM
I'm sorry for any offence caused  :hatsoff:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 05:26:23 PM
I'm sorry for any offence caused  :hatsoff:

No offense from you, my friend! :cheers:

….

More ‘don’t ask me how’ stuff…
On a couple of my users:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 05:33:16 PM
Those inlays :drool:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 05:52:14 PM
Those inlays :drool:

Harvested from a damaged 58mm 100th anniversary. Couldn’t let those go to waste!

Posted this before, but in lower res. Cross-eyed stereo format for those who can do it.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Kamakiri%u2019s %u2018no-drill%u2019 2.2mm SAK rivet removal
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 06:59:27 PM

But I%u2019m just gonna leave this at showing what can be done. Like setting or repairing inlays in cellidor%u2026or everything I know about SAK chronology%u2026or whatever. I%u2019m not sharing all of it. I understand and appreciate asking, but ridicule and demanding don%u2019t go far with me especially when coming from people who work here. I%u2019ve had enough of that.

I think I would ask you to reserve %u2019Grant%u2019 for def. Not that he and I interact, much%u2026but just to avoid confusion in open conversations here. Thanks.

Nobody works here, we MTo members volunteer our time to moderate  ;)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 07:53:38 PM
Nobody works here

Understood. I didn’t know I needed to put ‘works here’ in some way that literal people would understand. But thanks for the threadsmurf anyway.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 09:22:12 PM
Not sure I get the point of a thread in the Mod Squad that says I have a way of doing something without telling anyone how you are doing it and then getting offended when people actually ask ???

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 27, 2021, 09:41:25 PM
 :iagree:  it's a bit mad this... and that's me talking.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 09:47:20 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline Adam5

Reply #18 on: October 27, 2021, 09:42:30 PM

But I’m just gonna leave this at showing what can be done. Like setting or repairing inlays in cellidor…or everything I know about SAK chronology…or whatever. I’m not sharing all of it. I understand and appreciate asking, but ridicule and demanding don’t go far with me especially when coming from people who work here. I’ve had enough of that.

I think I would ask you to reserve ’Grant’ for def. Not that he and I interact, much…but just to avoid confusion in open conversations here. Thanks.

Perhaps you are taking Steve's post a little bit too serious?

It seemed from the title of your thread that the intent was to demonstrate how to remove the rivets. And it was not clear after the first post that you had no intent to demonstrate how to do it. Since many modification threads offer some details on how a particular mod has been performed, it seems reasonable to assume that you would be giving some details. When you didn't, we all wondered what the intent of the thread was. I think all responses fell short of ridicule and demands, including Steve's.

I am sorry you did not receive the response you were expecting, because it does look like a pretty significant feat to remove the rivets and bushings without damage. But we were expecting a bit more and didn't know otherwise.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 27, 2021, 09:51:40 PM
Not sure I get the point of a thread in the Mod Squad that says I have a way of doing something without telling anyone how you are doing it and then getting offended when people actually ask ???

Offended by the criticism, yes.  That it’s coming from mods…just getting used to it. Only one person asked, and that didn’t offend one bit. Mods being biased and praising only their friends when something is shown or shared…does offend too. Piling on is just worse. I was wondering if that was gonna happen. Surprise.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 10:11:14 PM
Perhaps you are taking Steve's post a little bit too serious?

Perhaps. But compare his and other mod posts about other members threads here that aren’t tutorials. There’s clear bias.

It seemed from the title of your thread that the intent was to demonstrate how to remove the rivets. And it was not clear after the first post that you had no intent to demonstrate how to do it. Since many modification threads offer some details on how a particular mod has been performed, it seems reasonable to assume that you would be giving some details. When you didn't, we all wondered what the intent of the thread was. I think all responses fell short of ridicule and demands, including Steve's.

I am sorry you did not receive the response you were expecting, because it does look like a pretty significant feat to remove the rivets and bushings without damage. But we were expecting a bit more and didn't know otherwise.

Fair enough. But I would have put “How to…” or something like that in the title.

I do more restoration than mod work on knives and resto work isn’t as interesting as cool mods. Sorry if this is just as boring or disappointing.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 27, 2021, 10:54:10 PM
I'd say that, for me personally, I would not add a teaser into the title then. I mean "...no-drill..." does that for me  :D

us Offline Adam5

Reply #22 on: October 27, 2021, 11:02:38 PM
Perhaps. But compare his and other mod posts about other members threads here that aren’t tutorials. There’s clear bias.

I have only read a fraction of the mod threads, but I personally have not seen an indication of bias from the moderators. Since I am seemingly on good terms with a couple of the moderators in question, I will accept that you may deem my perception as a bit suspect. But I honestly don't perceive the situation as you do.

Fair enough. But I would have put “How to…” or something like that in the title.

I do more restoration than mod work on knives and resto work isn’t as interesting as cool mods. Sorry if this is just as boring or disappointing.

I found it interesting that it can be done. The only "disappointment" I could have is the lack of elaboration, but you certainly have no requirement to give details. If and when I try my hand at creating my "ideal" SAK, at least I know that it is possible, though maybe beyond my abilities, to take one apart without destroying the rivets and bushings.

:cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: October 27, 2021, 11:50:27 PM
Offended by the criticism, yes.  That it’s coming from mods…just getting used to it. Only one person asked, and that didn’t offend one bit. Mods being biased and praising only their friends when something is shown or shared…does offend too. Piling on is just worse. I was wondering if that was gonna happen. Surprise.

I was a regular member for over 8 years before becoming a mod, not once did I ever show anything that someone asked about it that I didn't try to explain or help other members  :salute:

If you ask around I can guarantee that the only people that have problems with the way we do things is the ones that go against the grain.

You have time and time again had "misunderstandings" with members here and it is over the tone of your posts or your outright condescending manner most all the time.

So forgive me if you think the "Mods" call you out because I usually don't just call people out.

I read your thread before the first comment was made and was just going to let it be. I still don't understand why you want others to know you have a method of doing something,  show posts that you have done something but not answer someone for asking how you did it :facepalm:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 28, 2021, 12:07:39 AM
I have only read a fraction of the mod threads, but I personally have not seen an indication of bias from the moderators. Since I am seemingly on good terms with a couple of the moderators in question, I will accept that you may deem my perception as a bit suspect. But I honestly don't perceive the situation as you do.

Just don’t be the less popular member or have the minority position on a polarized topic!  Sadly, though, I understand from experience and somewhat sympathize with the issue of trying to be an unbiased moderator. But as a regular member here it’s easy to criticize from the sidelines.

I found it interesting that it can be done. The only "disappointment" I could have is the lack of elaboration, but you certainly have no requirement to give details. If and when I try my hand at creating my "ideal" SAK, at least I know that it is possible, though maybe beyond my abilities, to take one apart without destroying the rivets and bushings.

:cheers:

Bingo.  :cheers:

I'd say that, for me personally, I would not add a teaser into the title then. I mean "...no-drill..." does that for me  :D

I suppose that could be the teaser for people to investigate. I specifically wanted to avoid the ‘how to’ in the title.

The real conundrum is wether to have shared anything at all. Like the chronology stuff I do. I’ve found it hard to share and discuss when only want to share about half of the finer details. So much is related that it’s easier to be silent aside from furnishing date estimates.  :dunno:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 28, 2021, 12:48:27 AM
I was a regular member for over 8 years before becoming a mod, not once did I ever show anything that someone asked about it that I didn't try to explain or help other members  :salute:

If you ask around I can guarantee that the only people that have problems with the way we do things is the ones that go against the grain.

You have time and time again had "misunderstandings" with members here and it is over the tone of your posts or your outright condescending manner most all the time.

So forgive me if you think the "Mods" call you out because I usually don't just call people out.

I read your thread before the first comment was made and was just going to let it be. I still don't understand why you want others to know you have a method of doing something,  show posts that you have done something but not answer someone for asking how you did it :facepalm:

Well, this is about as good an example as any of what I mean.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: October 28, 2021, 12:50:00 AM
You mean the fact that you rub people the wrong way :dunno:

And it seems to be on purpose sometimes...

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 28, 2021, 03:59:00 AM
What a curious thread, I will say that I've not had much of a run in with mods here, but I'd hardly call myself biased towards the forum. Just yesterday I found a recent thread that I found absolutely abhorrent and has permanently changed my view of certain members. But I won't throw the baby out with the bath water or pretend I'm perfect.

Reading your posts here I see two things clearly:

An air of superiority and gate-keeping.

You take pleasure in knowing things but don't want to give up 'trade secrets' yet instead of keeping it stum you make posts to brag that you know how, but that you won't tell.

I won't support or stand by and watch gate-keeping in any community that I'm a part of. It is now, and always will be a toxic thing.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 28, 2021, 04:02:32 AM
I'll also take a stab at this:

I'm not one to take apart SAKs, but I see no reason why you couldn't just do what you did with careful filing and subsequent punching throw of the pins.

This is exactly how I removed the glass breaker from a tech tool, just file the peen off and pull/punch the rest through.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #29 on: October 28, 2021, 05:39:08 AM
This is the weirdest thread I've even seen on MTO.  As far as online communities go, this place is so friendly.  I really do not understand OP's prickliness. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%