Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Holiday Wish 2

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Holiday Wish 2
on: November 14, 2021, 05:03:32 PM
Dear knights,

inspired by Kraken's post, I wonder if there is a 91 mm SAK you fancy which was never part of Vic's portfolio? I for one would absolutely love to have a Deluxe Climber Lite.

Cheers,

Simon

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Re: Holiday Wish 2
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 07:34:54 PM
Well, calls me crazy but I have a problem with back tools. As soon as they stick out from the back of the knife, they bother me more than they are useful to me. Even a ring eyelet - never! The old long nail file or the angular philips, they were good, simply because they didn't stick out, had no pressure points.

So, my wish by the 91mm family woulld be models without back tools or, if so, those that don't stick out. But that's not so important, I'm also very happy with 84mm and 93mm  :)
...only the missing 84mm scissors ... Victorinox: :pok:
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 08:57:52 PM
How about 91mm Alox?
 How about all models available with serrated main blade option?

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 12:19:02 AM
As far as I'm aware, the inline Phillips has only been paired with a magnifying glass or an LED. I'd love to see a third option; the existing ones are two that I rarely use.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 12:53:54 AM
As far as I'm aware, the inline Phillips has only been paired with a magnifying glass or an LED. I'd love to see a third option; the existing ones are two that I rarely use.

Some models (XAVT, XXL) have the Wenger style wrench paired with a Phillips driver.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 01:05:09 AM
I'd love an Explorer Plus with gray magnifier with the scissors swapped out for a wood saw..... Did you hear me, Santa Claus?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 01:28:06 AM
I’d like a Yeoman with a awl instead of the hook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 01:47:49 AM
Some models (XAVT, XXL) have the Wenger style wrench paired with a Phillips driver.
True. I neglected to specify "on a smaller model."
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Kraken

Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 08:33:08 PM
I'd ask for a Climber Lite. I know they have one as the limited release Winter edition, but I'd like one without the fancy scales; plain red cellidor would suit me just fine provided they were plus scales. I EDC an Explorer mainly for the inline Phillips driver and would love the addition of and LED light.
Semper Fortis

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 06:18:05 PM
I'd ask for a Climber Lite. I know they have one as the limited release Winter edition, but I'd like one without the fancy scales; plain red cellidor would suit me just fine provided they were plus scales. I EDC an Explorer mainly for the inline Phillips driver and would love the addition of and LED light.

And the Traveller Lite just has different fancy scales!  While I did get this Winter Magic…I think it would be nice to see a regular version.

I still want a PS/Onyx Champ. Maybe a PS Workchamp too. Metal inlays and no white logo…unless it GLOWS!

Glow/Stayglow accessories would be great too.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 12:55:54 AM
Camper and Ranger with magnifying glass/Philips driver layer.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 09:22:24 AM

I still want a PS/Onyx Champ. Maybe a PS Workchamp too. Metal inlays and no white logo…unless it GLOWS!

That's a neat idea. :tu: Problem is, at Vic's current pricing, such Champ would probably cost around 300 bucks. It would be a pure collection model which no one would ever put to use. But how about a PS/Onyx Compact (or Climber) for a street price of around 60 Euros? I love the aesthetics of the PS Spartan and wouldn't mind carrying it despite its rather steep price tag. The only reason it stays in the drawer is its lack of scissors. A PS Compact I would carry, and at around 60 Euros I could even live with seeing it getting scratched.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 09:33:23 AM

That would essentially by a Champion without the fish scaler, right?

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 09:42:59 AM
While I did get this Winter Magic…I think it would be nice to see a regular version.

Kraken, kamakiri, I agree it would be very nice to have a Climber Lite. Now that Vic has introduced the model as this year's Winter Magic LE, I could imagine they are going to put out a regular production model next year. After all, they will have to compensate for all the discontinued models of late, and given the scarcity of Lite models, it would make sense to introduce a new one. (Unless they actually plan to phase out the Lite module too and the Winter Magic LE was just a way to get rid of a stock of 12000 Lite modules :-( )

Or they might just go for a Compact Lite to maintain some distance from the Huntsman Lite... :-) I would jump on that one without a moment's hesitation!

us Offline Kraken

Reply #14 on: November 17, 2021, 11:39:55 AM

Or they might just go for a Compact Lite to maintain some distance from the Huntsman Lite... :-) I would jump on that one without a moment's hesitation!
I think one of those would find its way in to my hands as well. I don't know if it would bump my Explorer as my dedicated EDC knife, but it would be an interesting trial period.
Semper Fortis

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 07:29:40 PM
Kraken, kamakiri, I agree it would be very nice to have a Climber Lite. Now that Vic has introduced the model as this year's Winter Magic LE, I could imagine they are going to put out a regular production model next year. After all, they will have to compensate for all the discontinued models of late, and given the scarcity of Lite models, it would make sense to introduce a new one. (Unless they actually plan to phase out the Lite module too and the Winter Magic LE was just a way to get rid of a stock of 12000 Lite modules :-( )

Lol. They have ‘dumped’ disco parts in LEs before!

Great idea on the Compact Lite!

Are you thinking with Phillips or Magnifier behind it? I’m guessing Phillips. Would be more consistent with the typical Lite config.

Scissors or no?  :think:

My mod list just got longer… :rofl:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 17, 2021, 10:07:57 PM
Lol. They have ‘dumped’ disco parts in LEs before!

Great idea on the Compact Lite!

Are you thinking with Phillips or Magnifier behind it? I’m guessing Phillips. Would be more consistent with the typical Lite config.

Scissors or no?  :think:

My mod list just got longer… :rofl:

I was thinking of the Philips to compensate the Compact's missing small screwdriver. I would accept the Magnifier as well, but the Philips seems more appropriate to me.

Interesting observation on the disco parts - what LEs/parts were you thinking of?

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #17 on: November 18, 2021, 08:50:44 PM
I was watching a video on the Deluxe Tinker and realized that knife would be almost perfect if they dumped the “opener layer”, and swapped out the pen blade with a combo tool.

It would then be an epic 3 layer knife with everything I want:
- Main blade
- Combo tool
- scissors
- pliers
- Philips
- awl

Why on Earth does Vic not make more knives with combo tool instead of opener layer? Can opening is not really a thing these days, with most cans having pull tops, and I assume all kitchens having a dedicated can opener, which is 10x faster than using a SAK.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2021, 08:59:03 PM
Why on Earth does Vic not make more knives with combo tool instead of opener layer?
Maybe because the can opener also has a small screwdriver? That's the only thing I can think of.

I'm sure there's a dedicated can opener in my kitchen somewhere, yet I still prefer to use SAKs or P-38s. And I likely wouldn't bring a kitchen can opener on a camping trip when most SAKs have them and a P-38 takes up considerably less space.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2021, 09:01:41 PM
Maybe because the can opener also has a small screwdriver? That's the only thing I can think of.

I'm sure there's a dedicated can opener in my kitchen somewhere, yet I still prefer to use SAKs or P-38s. And I likely wouldn't bring a kitchen can opener on a camping trip when most SAKs have them and a P-38 takes up considerably less space.
Regarding camping, I feel like there are many better knives in their catalog for that. My concern is they don’t need to tool up to offer more knives without opener layer, since combo tool already solves for both tools (obviously being inferior can opener though).

Wish that Vic would offer a configurator online to build custom knives (within tool compatibility). I’d pay a premium to be able to build a knife like this with scale colors of choice too.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 09:09:31 PM
Wish that Vic would offer a configurator online to build custom knives (within tool compatibility). I’d pay a premium to be able to build a knife like this with scale colors of choice too.
That would be nice, especially since so few 91mm knives have the combo tool. However, they probably couldn't justify making changes to their production lines for a large amount of one-off orders.

As for the separate openers, it could also be that many 91mm users like having the secondary blade, too.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 09:18:46 PM
That would be nice, especially since so few 91mm knives have the combo tool. However, they probably couldn't justify making changes to their production lines for a large amount of one-off orders.

As for the separate openers, it could also be that many 91mm users like having the secondary blade, too.
I appreciate the perspective and conversation. That said, I still want my “perfect knife”. Hahaha!

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2021, 10:01:31 PM
I still want my “perfect knife”.
One of my ideal knives (for working with paracord) would be similar, if not identical, to yours. There seems to be a market for them...so maybe the Victorinox Custom Shop could be established!
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 10:21:32 PM
One of my ideal knives (for working with paracord) would be similar, if not identical, to yours. There seems to be a market for them...so maybe the Victorinox Custom Shop could be established!
Victorinox needs to make our Christmas wishes come true (and they can make some profit at same time)!

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 19, 2021, 01:54:59 AM
Victorinox needs to make our Christmas wishes come true (and they can make some profit at same time)!

Not bloody likely. With all the SAKs they have retired lately, they are more like Bad Santa.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 19, 2021, 06:37:22 AM
I was thinking of the Philips to compensate the Compact's missing small screwdriver. I would accept the Magnifier as well, but the Philips seems more appropriate to me.

Agreed. Maybe I’d have to make both. Or get back to making something that solves the issue of not really being able to use the magnifier *with* the light..being in opposite sides. The Lite module is only seemingly well placed for CT use and main blade cutting. Maybe opening cans in the dark.  :rofl:

Interesting observation on the disco parts - what LEs/parts were you thinking of?
. I was thinking about the original thin pliers. Last used by ‘88 or so…then show up in the ‘91 Oath of Rütli LE. But the whole battle series seems to get all the end of the (previous) year parts from what I can tell.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 19, 2021, 08:36:52 AM
Agreed. Maybe I’d have to make both. Or get back to making something that solves the issue of not really being able to use the magnifier *with* the light..being in opposite sides. The Lite module is only seemingly well placed for CT use and main blade cutting. Maybe opening cans in the dark.  :rofl:

How about a "Twin Lite" with two adjacent Lite layers and the Lite modules facing opposite directions? I reckon a Compact Twin Lite would be about as thick as a Huntsman Lite.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 09:43:48 AM by Simon_Templar »

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 19, 2021, 08:53:06 AM

. I was thinking about the original thin pliers. Last used by ‘88 or so…then show up in the ‘91 Oath of Rütli LE. But the whole battle series seems to get all the end of the (previous) year parts from what I can tell.

Interesting, thanks for sharing :tu:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 19, 2021, 04:43:13 PM
How about a "Twin Lite" with two adjacent Lite layers and the Lite modules facing opposite directions? I reckon a Compact Twin Lite would be about as thick as a Huntsman Lite.

The questions would be…which side to put the IR one, or do I make them removable so they can be swapped?

Already had crazy plans and the aluminum sheet to do it!

Interesting, thanks for sharing :tu:

:cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #29 on: November 19, 2021, 09:13:49 PM
 :iagree:
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD