Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

G-Shock squares, circles plus a Garmin (Time Lord badge request)

ph Offline Zephon

Here’s a post that’s long been due.

I started off with a GWG-1000DC way back when this color was released (2016, if I’m not mistaken). 

I was on hiatus in MTo for about a couple of years or so and in that time I sort of delved into a wonderful world of G-Shock Squares.

On the first pic:
- The black one with a bullbar is a GW-B5000.  It’s a “modern” take on the classic square design.  It’s solar powered and connects via bluetooth to the phone for time synch.  It can also pin your location then view the GPS coordinates in the G-Shock phone app. 

- The middle one in the case with the metal bezel and black band is a GWM-B5000.  It’s basically a higher-end version of the previous square.  This one has a metal bezel, improved LCD screen and is a screwback.  This was meant to be my “office watch” as this can easily slip into the cuffs on the sleeves. I sort of “babied” this one to prevent major scratches on the bezel (and keeper).

- On the right is a GWX-5600.  Instead of bluetooth, time synchronization is done via MB6 radio wave synchronization. This is my only watch with a tide-graph and moon phase indicator.  I set the tide graph to a beach north of the city.  I bought this watch second-hand.  The original owner didn’t know it was a solar watch and ended up replacing the solar battery with a regular one when they couldn’t make the watch work.  I had to put some work in this to replace the battery back to a solar one, learn use Polywatch to try to try to get a scratch off the screen and find a substitute spring for the alarm.  Either way, it works, synchs, charges, tells the time, tide, moon phase and it has audible alarms.

Second picture:
- On the left is the one that started it all.  It was my first “major purchase” and priciest.  This GWG-1000 Mudmaster is solar powered, synchs via MB6 and is basically built like a tank. I trust its ABC sensors that I use it to see when a storm eye is heading towards us or is moving away from us. This watch has been with me on out of town trips, out of the country trips and anywhere from the mall to the beach.  I’ve had it on my wrist while walking thru the food alleys of Osaka, Japan and while open sea kayaking on the beaches of Batangas, Philippines.  I only stopped wearing it daily when Covid hit and we weren’t going outdoor or even on trips as much as before.

- My current daily watch. Garmin Instinct Tactical. Non-solar so I have to charge it every 10 days or so. It also has ABC but I still prefer what’s on the Mudmaster, especially when tracking storms.  It has GPS which I haven’t fully tested yet. And it has a heart rate monitor.  This is my indoor watch during these days of Covid. I would have preferred one with SPO2 monitoring but it was still unavailable during time of purchase.  I sleep with the watch, shower with the watch, drive around with it.  I find the bluetooth synch with my phone convenient as the watch also displays notifications from my phone. The Garmin app is also quite good.

So there you have it.  I had a couple more watches but they’re with the kids now.  Looks like the trend these days is heading towards smart watches with pulse and oxygen monitoring.  I do hope G-Shock eventually puts one out there with those specs some day.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: G-Shock squares, circles plus a Garmin (Time Lord badge request)
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 08:33:10 AM
Nice watches there, badge awarded.   :tu:   :tu:

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 10:19:18 AM
Nice watches there, badge awarded.   :tu:   :tu:

:hatsoff:
Thank you so much

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 03:37:05 AM
I love the 5000 series.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 02:01:11 PM
You have a great taste in watches Sir  :tu:.

Here are some of my favorites:

;)

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 02:00:00 AM
G-Shock squares can indeed be addictive.  Especially when you can do stuff like this:

Old pics, but you guys get the idea.  I envy those in the US where the Tread is on sale.  I’d say the most obvious difference between a fake and a real Tread is that the LM flat bits won’t fit inside a Tread.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%