Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rabbit hole - EDC light

Zephon · 105 · 9169

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Re: Rabbit hole - EDC light
Reply #30 on: June 05, 2022, 12:21:00 AM
I had never heard of the Frog, but might have to look into it.  I do like ramping lights.

I believe all of Luimintop's lights in that family have the ramping UI as default, the GT nano is a thrower version of the frog (or rather, vice versa).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 12:27:45 AM by GearedForwards »
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 05, 2022, 02:27:43 AM
I believe all of Luimintop's lights in that family have the ramping UI as default, the GT nano is a thrower version of the frog (or rather, vice versa).
Thanks.  I have tried a few of their lights, but the only ones I knew with the ramping were the FW ones.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #32 on: June 07, 2022, 07:52:47 AM
Soooo, it’s not as deep a rabbit hole as my SAK and LM stuff. I guess the addiction comes from the fact that for a little more than USD20-30, you can get a darn good light (with a lot of UI fidget factor).

I got to test the Lumintop Frog with a 10440 battery and tube as pictured below. I basically kept it with my keys. My conclusion is that unless I'm going to use it every now and then, it’s best to keep it in button lock to prevent accidental light up in my pocket. I also learned how to turn off the LED on the button after every use.

The Trustfire MC1 is a different animal. No ramping UI and it takes a 2second press to turn on/off. The 16340 battery is pretty interesting as well.

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: June 07, 2022, 01:59:27 PM
Soooo, it’s not as deep a rabbit hole as my SAK and LM stuff. I guess the addiction comes from the fact that for a little more than USD20-30, you can get a darn good light (with a lot of UI fidget factor).

I got to test the Lumintop Frog with a 10440 battery and tube as pictured below. I basically kept it with my keys. My conclusion is that unless I'm going to use it every now and then, it’s best to keep it in button lock to prevent accidental light up in my pocket. I also learned how to turn off the LED on the button after every use.

The Trustfire MC1 is a different animal. No ramping UI and it takes a 2second press to turn on/off. The 16340 battery is pretty interesting as well.

You need to try the throwers next of course, maybe the lumintop nano...  :pok:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #34 on: June 09, 2022, 09:52:55 AM
You need to try the throwers next of course, maybe the lumintop nano...  :pok:

At one point I was tempted to get the Lumintop Nano but it turns out I can get a better deal elsewhere with the same amount of money. 

I also found out the hard way that the tubes of the Nano won’t properly fit in the Frog — I ordered a AAA adapter which, according to the store, would fit the Frog as well.  It doesn’t.  The head of the Frog doesn’t go deep enough for the terminals to make contact with the stacked AAA.  O well. Not sure if it’s worth the effort to return/refund. 

Like what I was saying, for the price of a Nano I think I’d rather try something from Sofirn.  Preferably something with USB-C charging  :whistle:

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 09, 2022, 10:59:21 AM
At one point I was tempted to get the Lumintop Nano but it turns out I can get a better deal elsewhere with the same amount of money. 

I also found out the hard way that the tubes of the Nano won’t properly fit in the Frog — I ordered a AAA adapter which, according to the store, would fit the Frog as well.  It doesn’t.  The head of the Frog doesn’t go deep enough for the terminals to make contact with the stacked AAA.  O well. Not sure if it’s worth the effort to return/refund. 

Like what I was saying, for the price of a Nano I think I’d rather try something from Sofirn.  Preferably something with USB-C charging  :whistle:

The nano is primarily a bit of fun really, if you're looking for value form a tool then I'd agree looking at other lights would be a better choice. Depending on the gap you need to fill, you could use a magnet, or a bit of folded cooking foil, to bridge the contacts. I uses cooking foil to allow another light to accect the same cell as the Frog and nano, to make it rechargeable.

I'd encourage you to look at the Rovyvon E3 for an interesting, but affordable, USB-C light.  :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #36 on: June 09, 2022, 11:47:31 PM
The nano is primarily a bit of fun really, if you're looking for value form a tool then I'd agree looking at other lights would be a better choice. Depending on the gap you need to fill, you could use a magnet, or a bit of folded cooking foil, to bridge the contacts. I uses cooking foil to allow another light to accect the same cell as the Frog and nano, to make it rechargeable.

I'd encourage you to look at the Rovyvon E3 for an interesting, but affordable, USB-C light.  :tu:
I haven’t tried the Rovyvon E3 but the Rovyvons I have tried were quality lights.

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: June 10, 2022, 12:25:22 AM
I haven’t tried the Rovyvon E3 but the Rovyvons I have tried were quality lights.

The E3 is an Angel Eyes model (so two emitters) with an Aluminium body. The really interesting part is that it's truly dual fuel, a built in LiPo battery that charges from USB-C, but you can also put a AAA in it and swap between them in the interface. It's both really weird and really neat, I use a higher capacity Eneloop Pro in mine and it works well.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #38 on: June 11, 2022, 04:53:09 AM
After constantly doubting the seller’s reply and almost returning my purchase, I finally got the AAA tube to work.

I’ll save this setup for ‘emergencies’ when there’s absolutely no way to charge the 10440 cell.

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: June 11, 2022, 09:42:49 AM
It looks ridiculous and I want it  :facepalm:

How's the output on AAAs?

Did you just have to really crank the tube down for a good connection between the contacts?

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #40 on: June 11, 2022, 05:28:37 PM
It looks ridiculous and I want it  :facepalm:

How's the output on AAAs?

Did you just have to really crank the tube down for a good connection between the contacts?

Output is usable- I did a ramp up/down and it works. Didn’t try turbo or strobe.

Yes, had to wrap the head with microfiber and use a Cobra XS to turn til I felt the proper stop.

Yes, it’s silly and so long with 3x AAA! The tube also works for the GT Nano:
https://lumintoplighting.com/products/lumintop-frog-gt-nano-triple-a-extension-tube-206

Pity they didn’t market a pocket clip for it.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #41 on: June 12, 2022, 02:08:18 AM
Another step down the rabbit hole for me. It’s my first angle-head light….ever. It’s a Sofirn HS10. I bought the kit although I’m just after the light and clip for now. Specs are all over google. What caught my fancy is that 1) costs like USD21 only, 2) 16340 battery means it’s bound to be small, 3) ramping illumination.

I just got it last night so I can’t really comment on performance. I do plan to bring it to the beach on family outing this Thursday.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 04:11:49 AM by Zephon »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: June 12, 2022, 03:54:42 PM
I picked up an angle light a few years ago, Manker E02.  Its a nice budget light with some good features.  I've taken it camping which worked out pretty well.  I love being able to clip it to my shirt pocket or wherever for light. 

Congrats.  I like to have a light stashed all over the house.  We have one in all cars as well.  The rabbit hole for lights doest have to break the budget especially with so many nice budget lights. 

Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #43 on: June 15, 2022, 02:32:30 AM
I picked up an angle light a few years ago, Manker E02.  Its a nice budget light with some good features.  I've taken it camping which worked out pretty well.  I love being able to clip it to my shirt pocket or wherever for light. 

Congrats.  I like to have a light stashed all over the house.  We have one in all cars as well.  The rabbit hole for lights doest have to break the budget especially with so many nice budget lights. 

That Manker E02 does look pretty interesting. I just can’t seem to find a proper seller online here. Prices are all over the place from USD50 to USD100!

I agree! That’s the best part of budget lights - it doesn’t have to break the bank!

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: June 15, 2022, 03:14:43 AM
The rabbit hole saved me today, sudden blackout for a couple hours. Lit the whole house easily!

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #45 on: June 16, 2022, 10:06:01 AM
The rabbit hole saved me today, sudden blackout for a couple hours. Lit the whole house easily!
It's kinda satisfying, innit?
We've had this same situation three or four times in the last six months, although it usually lasts for days instead of hours. The last one was in winter and we ended up having to get a room at the local Travel Lodge, as we're on electric heating.
This is why I have several torches that measure their low level output in days!

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: June 16, 2022, 10:34:08 AM
It's kinda satisfying, innit?
We've had this same situation three or four times in the last six months, although it usually lasts for days instead of hours. The last one was in winter and we ended up having to get a room at the local Travel Lodge, as we're on electric heating.
This is why I have several torches that measure their low level output in days!

Not gonna lie, I literally said to my girlfriend 'my time has come' and proceeded to drop a light bomb.

This is the first blackout in this area I can remember in like 20 years, not counting waking up in the morning to find out the clocks need to be reset but no other impact. I'm sorry to hear about your own issues though, that's dreadful! Are you super rural or something? At that rate I'd be looking at a Jackery or similar!

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #47 on: June 16, 2022, 01:28:17 PM
Not gonna lie, I literally said to my girlfriend 'my time has come' and proceeded to drop a light bomb.
Thing is, I always EDC at least two torches, because I so often find people in situations that need more/better than any smartphone can provide, in spite of their boasts and dismissal of my EDC to the contrary... Amazingly, it's sometimes even been people that own one of the same torches I do, yet fail to carry or maintain them!

Are you super rural or something? At that rate I'd be looking at a Jackery or similar!
I had been thinking about a Jackery-kinda deal, actually, but that's only because our 'leccy just got ridiculous and we rent an old house, so can't just slap proper panels on the roof.
But no... while I am in a 'rural' area with no gas or sewerage, we're only a couple of miles from the middle of the largest town in the UK. It's just a quirk of how the grid works, as it's usually trees dropping the lines and we live in the area that still has greenery, I guess.

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: June 18, 2022, 11:13:47 PM
@ Zephon, you're a bad influence. I looked at the Frog as well, but it's twice the price on Amazon so will have to wait until I order it from a big Chinese retailer  :facepalm:

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #49 on: June 19, 2022, 04:43:07 AM
@ Zephon, you're a bad influence. I looked at the Frog as well, but it's twice the price on Amazon so will have to wait until I order it from a big Chinese retailer  :facepalm:

(Image removed from quote.)

:hatsoff:

Wow! I like that GT Nano with a 10440! That will cost me about USD40 as the Nano is already USD30 on China-based sellers. Add to that the mandatory 10440 tube and battery that will be almost USD15.

We went to a beach resort for a couple of nights and while I brought a handful of small lights to test, it turns out that it’s fun to have a thrower when outdoors! Unfortunately I don’t have one, hence a renewed interest in the Nano.

Unfortunately for half the price I think I’d rather get a green Sofirn SC21 Pro set….

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: June 19, 2022, 05:33:47 AM
:hatsoff:

Wow! I like that GT Nano with a 10440! That will cost me about USD40 as the Nano is already USD30 on China-based sellers. Add to that the mandatory 10440 tube and battery that will be almost USD15.

We went to a beach resort for a couple of nights and while I brought a handful of small lights to test, it turns out that it’s fun to have a thrower when outdoors! Unfortunately I don’t have one, hence a renewed interest in the Nano.

Unfortunately for half the price I think I’d rather get a green Sofirn SC21 Pro set….

Couldn't you just share the tube between your Frog and the Nano?

I will say the throw of the Nano is crazy impressive, even on the lowest setting it goes pretty far and projects light better than the 18650 version of the same model IMO.

How much was the Frog for you? I thought they were similar prices as they're mostly the same model.

Throwers are a lot of fun, as are super high output 'pocket suns'  :like:

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #51 on: June 19, 2022, 06:43:07 AM
Couldn't you just share the tube between your Frog and the Nano?

I will say the throw of the Nano is crazy impressive, even on the lowest setting it goes pretty far and projects light better than the 18650 version of the same model IMO.

How much was the Frog for you? I thought they were similar prices as they're mostly the same model.

Throwers are a lot of fun, as are super high output 'pocket suns'  :like:

I want to carry them at the same time like keys in a single keychain  :gimme:

I feel it quite excessive but seeing a Frog and Nano together in a keychain is definitely a statement.

The Frog cost me Php981 and the 10440 tube+battery cost me Php332 (total of Php1,313 including shipping. Apply USD1:Php50 conversion so it’s a little above USD26.)

The Nano is priced at Php1,450 and back aluminum tube with battery is Php428 (total Php1,878 or USD37.56).  Maybe I can just buy a second Frog tube that’s cheaper.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: June 19, 2022, 03:13:31 PM
This is getting fun.   :popcorn:
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: June 19, 2022, 10:38:12 PM
I want to carry them at the same time like keys in a single keychain  :gimme:

I feel it quite excessive but seeing a Frog and Nano together in a keychain is definitely a statement.

The Frog cost me Php981 and the 10440 tube+battery cost me Php332 (total of Php1,313 including shipping. Apply USD1:Php50 conversion so it’s a little above USD26.)

The Nano is priced at Php1,450 and back aluminum tube with battery is Php428 (total Php1,878 or USD37.56).  Maybe I can just buy a second Frog tube that’s cheaper.

Huh, it's weird that the tubes are priced differently, I'd definitely just get the Frog tube to save the cash. Side note: I was pleasantly surprised that my tube came with extra accessories like the light originally did, good value.

If you can tuck the money aside the Nano is really fun, I'm really looking forward to picking up a Frog. How's the charger it comes with? I saw they updated it to USB-C, I think the Nano's is still micro USB.

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: June 19, 2022, 10:38:40 PM

We all know you like keychain lights Aloha, you don't want a throwing beast hanging next to your Rovyvon?  :popcorn:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #55 on: June 20, 2022, 03:12:18 AM
We all know you like keychain lights Aloha, you don't want a throwing beast hanging next to your Rovyvon?  :popcorn:

Ok so Aloha likes keychain lights and he also likes the Andruil UI. 
Based on this, I’m suggesting a Mateminco CSF-04 or Astrolux K2.

It is a keychain light similar in size and style to the RovyVon keychain flashlights but has the ramping UI similar to Andruil.  It also has aux lights, but their effectiveness is dependent on body color.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #56 on: June 20, 2022, 04:55:22 AM
Huh, it's weird that the tubes are priced differently, I'd definitely just get the Frog tube to save the cash. Side note: I was pleasantly surprised that my tube came with extra accessories like the light originally did, good value.

If you can tuck the money aside the Nano is really fun, I'm really looking forward to picking up a Frog. How's the charger it comes with? I saw they updated it to USB-C, I think the Nano's is still micro USB.

The Frog’s charger seems slightly bigger based on the pictures I’ve seen of the Nano’s charger. Yes, it’s USB-C and it comes with a neat short cable that has magnets to hold it together as it folds in half during storage.  It’s not as convenient as the built-in charging of the Sofirn but at least it’s USB-C already.  I’m looking forward to have all my chargers in USB-C just to keep things simple (except for the iPhone).

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: June 20, 2022, 05:16:59 AM
The Frog’s charger seems slightly bigger based on the pictures I’ve seen of the Nano’s charger. Yes, it’s USB-C and it comes with a neat short cable that has magnets to hold it together as it folds in half during storage.  It’s not as convenient as the built-in charging of the Sofirn but at least it’s USB-C already.  I’m looking forward to have all my chargers in USB-C just to keep things simple (except for the iPhone).

The charger and cable is part of the draw to me, Olight had the same form factor in micro USB, but haven't commissioned/branded a USB-C version yet, sadly.

Using a separate charger is unfortunate, but it does cut down on size on these smaller lights.

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: June 20, 2022, 05:18:01 AM
Ok so Aloha likes keychain lights and he also likes the Andruil UI. 
Based on this, I’m suggesting a Mateminco CSF-04 or Astrolux K2.

It is a keychain light similar in size and style to the RovyVon keychain flashlights but has the ramping UI similar to Andruil.  It also has aux lights, but their effectiveness is dependent on body color.

I've been interested in the colour schemes of the Matemincos, good to see that they hold up use-wise too.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #59 on: June 20, 2022, 08:00:51 AM
I've been interested in the colour schemes of the Matemincos, good to see that they hold up use-wise too.
I’ve had one on my keychain for over a year and it is still holding up.  I’ve also been pleasantly surprised with the runtime.  I haven’t specifically timed it, but I’ve gotten more use than I expected off a single use.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%