Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What would you choose (and why)?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
What would you choose (and why)?
on: February 20, 2022, 03:38:42 PM
If you aren't bored, please consider answering this.
The centerpiece of my EDC right now is this Skinth L Shield kept in my EDC bag (and a pocketable Toolet with Merkator, Parker Jotter, tweezers, lighter and an e-cig cleaning brush).
When I work I put it on my belt or bench and have everything handy.
I have those options you see in the 1st pic, plus a Leatherman Juice XE6, I forgot to put there.
Apart from Swisscard and some other accessories, I can fit 2 medium tools inside, or 1 big and 1 small, plus another multi with a clip on the outside (my Spirit doesn't have a clip yet).
For years I carried a Spirit and an Alox with scissors plus Hex bits and Vic ratchet, but now I prefer my Swisschamp XLT plus a Skeletool with LM bits and a Squirt S4. I could add the LM ratchet too.
But there are other options.
Mind that I don't need heavy tools but I use a lot light and medium tools (like the scissors from my Swisscard) and I like to play with my tools while reading or watching a movie, I find it relaxing.
So, from what you see (plus the Juice in place of a SAK), what would you choose and why?

PS: among the SAKs there is a steel Wenger Traveler, a Harvester, a Farmer, a Solo Alox, a dividing Ritzarz with fork and I could buy a Farmer X.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: What would you choose (and why)?
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 04:43:54 PM
When I was 10yr old my grandfather was sharpening his sak and I was interested, he said when you turn 12 I’ll get you your first knife, needless to say I didn’t care about any other gift and he got me a champion+, of course I ended up loosing it in the woods while goofing around, I spent so long trying to find it yet didn’t, but a year later I tripped and fell and as everything came to focus there was something under a few leafs, needless to say there it was, I took it home and cleaned it up, the sheath was very bad but I got it in good shape but the sak, it cleaned up very nice!
After this I was in high school and my one teacher who was a upper rank veteran and a hvac tech, he could carry a tool around in school, not that he left out hvac room except when we went out on the job, sometimes to the air force base! He carried a Gerber, I was very interested and I ended up getting the first one, needless to say I accidentally carried it to the lunch room, oops, the principle caught me and was going to have me suspended just plain and simple, that was until my other teacher who spent about 20yrs in karate and other self defense types walked right up to him and said no you won’t! And the principle was like I’m sorry I have to, and he was like I can kill you faster with the pencil in my pocket then what he has! So we both tried to attack him at the same time and in order for me to take it out of the sheath, flip it open, then try to figure which one the knife was to open and attack the teacher had already swiftly taken his pencil out of his pocket and stabbed him in multiple places and was waiting for me,, so the principle was like, hurry up, stick it in your pocket and get back to class!
After that I ended up giving that one to my cousin who went into the service, I go a newer one, which kinda sucked, but then went with leatherman, better, worked good in the field but still not a perfect tool, unless used as a knife, cause I’ve broke the jaw,
After my accident due to my seizures I’ve stopped using multitools, I’ve always been interested alox and after getting a farmer, I was like NICE, the blade is a little bigger on the 93 vs the 91, the scales are a little more heavy duty, so I ended up getting the pionerx which was even better, but then the FarmerX came out and that was like the perfect knife! The only thing missing is a nail file, but anyway, I got a nice sheath with steel and it’s been my edc since last Xmas!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 06:50:37 PM
After my accident due to my seizures I’ve stopped using multitools, I’ve always been interested alox and after getting a farmer, I was like NICE, the blade is a little bigger on the 93 vs the 91, the scales are a little more heavy duty, so I ended up getting the pionerx which was even better, but then the FarmerX came out and that was like the perfect knife! The only thing missing is a nail file, but anyway, I got a nice sheath with steel and it’s been my edc since last Xmas!
JR

I too find Alox irresistible, but they have limited tools. I have none with scissors  and awl, but I could buy a Farmer X. It goes for 65 euros here. I have pen, tweezers, needle and toothpick in the Swisscard, so I  guess I would  pair it with Spirit S.
But I would miss the hook, and that's unbearable!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 07:44:55 PM
A Swisschamp or Cybertool or Juice XE6 with a Farmer X fit nicely.
But if it is a Swisschamp, I already have the scissors I am addicted to, so a Harvester or Pioneer will suffice and I keep the 65€ for maybe a LM ratchet and the bit kit that was stolen.

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 09:51:16 PM
I too find Alox irresistible, but they have limited tools. I have none with scissors  and awl, but I could buy a Farmer X. It goes for 65 euros here. I have pen, tweezers, needle and toothpick in the Swisscard, so I  guess I would  pair it with Spirit S.
But I would miss the hook, and that's unbearable!
That’s the one thing I miss on the alox, you just don’t get the tweezers which come in very handy every once and a while, now I have a small sak on the keychain but it’s also a alox so again no tweezers.. now in the wallet I have a very mini fak, I took one of those wallet plastic pic thingies and cut each little cube, and then just put three large and three mini bandaids along with two wipes in it, only thing is I haven’t carried my wallet for like a year, too much crap in it, just carry my like i-d holder, whatever it’s called, with i-d, credit card, and cash if ever,
A few years ago I did have a custom alox sak made, which does have the file, yet also a Philips,, here’s a pic, along with what I was trying to explain about the fak,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 10:09:39 PM
Great knife!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 10:11:17 PM
Sometimes when faced with this (fun) conundrum, I "reverse engineer" my EDC by listing the top tools or implements that I want or need, and then finding the SAK(s) and/or MT that meet those needs. (<< nerd-tastic).  From what you have pictured, I would carry a Swisstool Spirit and a Swisschamp (if I am seeing it right).  And throw in a Victorinox Manager (or similar) for the micro phillips.

For my part, I like to have pliers but they almost never get used so I rarely carry pliers.  So my default carry is an Explorer Plus and a Manager.  The items I really want or need are a blade, real 3D inline phillips, flat driver, pen and micro phillips.  Having a magnifier and pin comes in handy rarely but often enough to make it worth carrying.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 11:00:20 PM
Nice! You have methodology, I should try that.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $10.00
PayPal Fees: $0.67
Net Balance: $9.33
Below Goal: $290.67
Site Currency: USD