Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Has anyone installed aftermarket LED lights in their vehicles?

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Thought on that, please?  The incan bulbs on Mrs. Powernoodle's 2008 Honda CR-V are growing very dim and I am considering going the LED route.  With Amazon's easy return policy, its pretty low risk.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F9VDCP5/?coliid=IM0WDNWPQRAPU&colid=2ZGTFAMYZ9QGW&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I had a cheap HID kit installed in my Jeep for a while, and I really liked them.  At least, as long as they worked.  Eventually I had to go back to the standard headlights, which are as bright as glow worms in jam jars.

Fortunately I also replaced the fog lamps in my Jeep with LEDs and they are extremely bright and useful- brighter and better than the headlights.

I say go for it, but with the suggestion that you don't go cheap, although even the cheap ones are better now than the good ones were 5 years ago.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline powernoodle

Thank you, Your Lordship.  I will try some "good" LEDs and see how it goes.   :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I also have some super bright LED pods mounted to the windshield frame, but I doubt she'd need (or want!) a set of those!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline powernoodle

A tricked out 2008 Honda would be cool.   :cheers:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
It's worth noting that putting brighter LED or Gas Discharge globes into low beam reflectors and lenses designed for Incandescent (Halogen) globes is illegal pretty well everywhere in the world, as the different geometry usually means that the beam cutoff is incorrect, leading to unwanted glare, particularly for drivers travelling towards you.

There is also often a problem with needing headlight washers to be legal when the light output (lumens) is greater than a certain limit.

For high beam there is often no issue (because it isn't supposed to be used when other cars are around).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Excellent points.  I never use the windshield lights when anyone else in on the highway with me.  When no one is around though, it's nice to see the tree line on either side of the highways to spot deer!

Def

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
I replaced the "puddle lights" in the side mirrors with Polestar logo lights :facepalm:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
I replaced the "puddle lights" in the side mirrors with Polestar logo lights :facepalm:

Hey, if you like it and it does no harm to anyone else, then ETTO   :tu:

I won't judge you (well, not very much, anyway)    ;)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
I did a LED headlight upgrade on the Guzzi V7 III Special as I wasn't happy with the stock halogen unit. Not the original LED headlight out of the Stone Night Pack, since that would've set me back about 700 €, but a cheaper aftermarket LED insert that fit inside the original bucket. Oodles of light and better distributed too, for about 200 €. Happy  I've done this as one can never have too much light on a bike  8)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40