Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knifeless Bond?

Demel · 47 · 1876

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Knifeless Bond?
on: April 27, 2022, 03:22:12 AM
I've been thinking a lot about this, and have been wondering if Leatherman was planning on making a knifeless version of the bond similar to what they did with the rebar and fuse lines. I'm also not sure what tools would fit in place of the knife. Has anyone tried that?

They currently have the knifeless rebar as still in production I remember handling one a couple years back but did not care for the ergos. Thoughts on this?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Re: Knifeless Bond?
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 03:53:19 AM
I'm not sure they would bother given that the Bond's more friendly to stricter laws already. If they did I guess the saw? But they'd need to put the scissors in there somewhere.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 05:25:22 AM
I don't know if Leatherman will release one themselves, but it's certainly possible to do.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 05:48:44 AM
As demonstrated by Jothra, quite easy to do; all imternal tools from a Rebar, Wave, Charge and I think Fuse, will work. Mind you though, being knifeless not necessarily means TSA-Approved, as the saw or awl blades are no-no's on their list.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 06:02:31 AM
As demonstrated by Jothra, quite easy to do; all imternal tools from a Rebar, Wave, Charge and I think Fuse, will work. Mind you though, being knifeless not necessarily means TSA-Approved, as the saw or awl blades are no-no's on their list.
Kick parts for sure, so it follows that the Fuse and Blast should work.

I used the saw from a junked Rebar and the scissors from an even more junked Charge.

(This information should have been in my first post, but it totally slipped my mind. I wasn't trying to be coy.)

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 07:12:13 AM
Saw or Scissors seem to be the logical replacement for the knife depending on your usage. Let us know what you decide to do.

I have a PST with a broken knife tip and I am thinking of grinding and re-shaping it to be a spreader like in the flair but longer so I can use the nail knick to pull it out. Another thought is to re-shape it to be a package opener like in the wingman. It's at the bottom of my list of things to do so have time to decide. I will be doing it just for fun.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 07:32:28 PM
I don't know if Leatherman will release one themselves, but it's certainly possible to do.

Nice mod  :tu: seems like it is just as easy to mod as the rebar was.

.....Mind you though, being knifeless not necessarily means TSA-Approved, as the saw or awl blades are no-no's on their list.

Yup, I wasn't thinking this idea for TSA compliance. Thinking of a dedicated knife, knifeless bond, and micra combo. I ordered a bond today. I want to carry it for a while to see how it goes.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 12:29:46 AM
Exactly as easy! The hardest part is getting the bolts out. Fortunately, I have a tool for that. I've done it with pliers, but it wasn't pretty.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 12:38:00 AM

Yup, I wasn't thinking this idea for TSA compliance. Thinking of a dedicated knife, knifeless bond, and micra combo. I ordered a bond today. I want to carry it for a while to see how it goes.

:tu:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 08:42:58 PM
Exactly as easy! The hardest part is getting the bolts out. Fortunately, I have a tool for that. I've done it with pliers, but it wasn't pretty.
Same. I got a pair of tools from a member here a few years ago. It's great

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 05:18:37 PM
I got the Bond in this week and it feels almost identical to the Rebar handle wise. It's not sharp but it bites a little especially where the file is. I do think it's a great frame for a knifeless tool.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 05:24:50 PM
Congrats on getting one :woohoo: :like:

Hope you can get the toolset you want in it, Demel :tu: :like:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 05:49:44 PM
Congrats! Have fun making it a knife less tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 09:02:52 PM
 :iagree: :tu:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 01:18:41 AM
So I attached the pocket clip and noticed this

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 01:21:50 AM
Seriously Leatherman. What the hell?!? The screws literally pushing the internal tools making them unusable. Plus they are already tight. The pliers are the most functional but not off to a great start. On the positive side, the spring lock does feel very secure. Just have to get the damn tools out first :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 01:40:20 AM
So I attached the pocket clip and noticed this

(Image removed from quote.)

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

That's not good on a brand new tool ... Maybe deploy the tools and hit the protruding threads with a rotary tool and a cutoff wheel? :think:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2022, 01:42:17 AM
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

That's not good on a brand new tool ... Maybe deploy the tools and hit the protruding threads with a rotary tool and a cutoff wheel? :think:
I'm going to sell off the tool to the next person that needs the clip. Not worth it for me. I'll just carry it in a sheath moving forward.

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 02, 2022, 01:43:22 AM
 :tu:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 02, 2022, 01:46:42 AM
But also that would be a good idea. And because of how thin the tool is, it's hard to think of how they could've implemented the clip. I guess my preference is not to have it as an option and get rid of the holes. It's an eye sore now but nothing you can really do about it. Either way, I'm still going to give it a try in a knifeless configuration. Time will tell

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 02, 2022, 01:47:53 AM
Seriously Leatherman. What the hell?!? The screws literally pushing the internal tools making them unusable. Plus they are already tight. The pliers are the most functional but not off to a great start. On the positive side, the spring lock does feel very secure. Just have to get the damn tools out first :facepalm:

There's two different clips, it looks like you have the one with hardware too long for the bond  :think:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: May 02, 2022, 02:41:36 AM
I bet that is the clip for the Free K series :facepalm: They have longer screws to account for the thicker scales on the K2 and K4 :oops:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 02, 2022, 03:30:00 AM
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Mods....just delete this thread

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: May 02, 2022, 11:58:13 AM
 :D

It may help others :cheers:

Leatherman doesn't really differentiate the 2 clips enough and even when asked questions about them, some of the employees even don't know the difference  :facepalm:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 02, 2022, 03:14:25 PM
:D

It may help others :cheers:

Leatherman doesn't really differentiate the 2 clips enough and even when asked questions about them, some of the employees even don't know the difference  :facepalm:
Hopefully. I'll give them a call today. Maybe the only difference is the screws you get. If that's the case why not put both sets in the package. You can make a selection on their website direct but it doesn't say or show what's different.
 https://www.leatherman.com/lanyard-ring-pocket-clip-free-bond-623.html

Again, I'll call today and hopefully get some type of solution

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 02, 2022, 06:27:50 PM
Do you know if the package opener from the Wingman will fit the Bond?

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #26 on: May 03, 2022, 04:07:51 AM
Do you know if the package opener from the Wingman will fit the Bond?

If it's the same as the package opener from the Rev, then it fits the pivot, but sits in the tool funny.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: May 03, 2022, 12:02:59 PM
Hopefully. I'll give them a call today. Maybe the only difference is the screws you get. If that's the case why not put both sets in the package. You can make a selection on their website direct but it doesn't say or show what's different.
 https://www.leatherman.com/lanyard-ring-pocket-clip-free-bond-623.html

Again, I'll call today and hopefully get some type of solution

I think that the K series clip also has an extra bend, as you have pictured above :think: I hope you can get some good answers from them  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 03, 2022, 06:34:48 PM
 For anyone else reading this/future reference, although easily "fixable" by grinding the protruding thread portion.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 03, 2022, 06:35:55 PM
For anyone else reading this/future reference,

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]
Thanks. I'm hoping to get the right set of screws at this point

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%