Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GSM does away with lifetime warranty!

us Offline matt2silver

GSM does away with lifetime warranty!
on: July 29, 2022, 12:25:29 AM
Just a heads up to all the SOG owners out there. GSM is not honoring the SOG lifetime warranty on its multitools. I just got off of the phone with customer service trying to get some replacement parts for one of my multi-tools and was informed that they are no longer stocking parts to repair multi-tools except in rare cases. From this point on all new SOG multi-tools carry a 1-year manufacturer's warranty and that's it. Older tools aren't even in their system.
 I don't know about you guys but the lifetime warranty was one of the reasons that I was interested in SOG. Knowing that I could buy a tool and use it and not worry if something happened was nice. Without the lifetime warranty I doubt that I'll be buying many more sog items.
In any case if one of you guys happens to have a spare hexagon ended pivot for the internal tool end of the pocket power plier I would be happy to be able to purchase it from you as it seems warranty repairs are no longer a thing.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: GSM does away with lifetime warranty!
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 03:10:54 AM
I also recall someone requested a pocket clip from Cold Steel (which, apparently, they used to send at no charge), and under the new company (also GSM Outdoors), they refused to do so as their new policy is no replacement parts.

Honestly, and I know this might sound excessive, but after these horror stories, I avoid both brands--the late '90s early Voyager L I have is getting replaced with a Spyderco Endura, as the Voyager has some wear issues related to its previous owner. Something tells me it's going to go the way American LaFrance did. When they did business here in town, they were run by a holding company that really didn't know what they were doing. They did super-well once American LaFrance got sold to Freightliner in '99 I think, and once sold to a hedge fund, they went bankrupt by 2014.

The only problem I have is what if Buck or Leatherman gets sold to such a company? Victorinox I think is highly unlikely.  I think both Lynn Thompson and Spencer Frazier made a huge mistake.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 04:48:06 AM
Wow. Thanks for the heads up. That really sucks for the consumer.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 11:40:02 AM
Just a heads up to all the SOG owners out there. GSM is not honoring the SOG lifetime warranty on its multitools.

They need to update their website, which shows knives and tools backed by their lifetime warranty.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 01:26:34 PM
Wow, what a way to bring down the brand image. Do they require proof of purchase to validate the 1-year period?

What about their knives? I recently got back to collecting SOG knives, thanks to some good deals on the SOG XR ones. It would suck if there is 1-year warranty on a US-made Seal XR.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 05:08:07 AM
Thanks for the information, matt; now its just a matter of hello-farewell affair between SOG/GSM and me. I had bought a pair of Powerlocks  on sale (B61 and 63 to be exact; and,  after having and even liking them I would not have paid full price for either one; blades are too thin thin/"flimsy"). A month ago I tried to buy from the site replacement scissors and v cutter to no avail as PR is not listed, even after recognizing the US zip code, but unable to complete as I can not leave blank "state" line. After an email, they wanted me to place the order by phone ... now they won't warranty it? Farewell SOG!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 02:55:59 PM
They sold the powerduo with known problems and never admitted it or apologised to anybody - that was in their glory days, so the SOG quality assurance and customer interest/care continues as before as far as I am concerned .

Did not by any of their "tools" since and never regretted it. 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 03:42:11 PM
This is really crappy news.  I had high hopes.

The worst part is, all of their competitors offer a lifetime warranty, with the exception of Leatherman, which is a 25 year warranty but I was told by LM reps they aren't going to turn anyone away, even if the tool is over 25.

SOG deciding to limit their warranty, especially that significantly, makes no sense whatsoever- these kinds of moves are what can kill a brand off.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 05:14:13 PM
Fine they don't want to have a lifetime warranty but 1 year?
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 05:25:15 PM
Yeah, that sounds pretty bad.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 07:37:42 PM
Yeah, that sounds pretty bad.

Def

I don't have many but, I guess - I'll have no more then  :dunno:
They don't like it up 'em!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 12:20:28 PM
I'd still highly recommend some of the older models like the Powerlock, PowerPlier, PocketPowerPlier, ParaTool and even the PowerAssist and BlackFin.  These are tools that you don't need a warranty on- the plier mechanism is absolutely rock solid and indestructible, and the rest of the tools are user replaceable, and available for purchase separately.

Def

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 19, 2022, 11:23:21 PM
I've just called GSM on 2 separate occasions related to the lifetime warranty. In both cases they said the lifetime warranty is still active and they have no intention of removing it. They also were getting me set up for an authorization for the "multitool " I said had broken pliers that were over 5 years old.

This is a relief. HOWEVER, they also confirmed that they will no long be stocking separate parts.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2022, 03:06:22 AM
I recently had to use their warranty.  As Max says, they are honoring the lifetime warranty, but they no longer have a repair shop, it seems.  They just make you send the tool back to them for an equivalent replacement. 

They have been known to replace pocket clips per request (apparently due to complaints about their billboarding)

So if nostalgia keeps you holding onto your SOG, you might be out of luck, but if you do need a replacement of a broken tool, that is still in effect. 

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #14 on: May 10, 2023, 01:24:24 PM
Got this dimwit answer from GSM when I inquired about screw and clips

Thank you for contacting GSM Outdoors! Please be advised that we no longer have any replacement parts or offer repairs for SOG products. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We also do not have alternate hand clips for any of our SOG knives at this time, although some clips can be swapped to the other side of the knife after unscrewing them and flipping them to the other side. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Have a wonderful day!

When I pressed that they stated they would send clips (with $5 fee) on their website

I understand, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We do still have clip replacements we can offer for a multitude of our knives, but the clip replacement do not come with the screw as well.

I can provide you with the screw size for our knives. Would you know which model of knife you needed the dimensions for?

Kind regards,

How do these people compete with legit knives companies out there if breakable parts are not offered as part of warranty or purchasable? Even Civivi sells titanium clips as add on.

us Offline stevekolt

Reply #15 on: May 29, 2023, 11:37:35 PM
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but it seems to me that if you purchased a SOG prior to the change, they should still have to honor the warranty, as that was figured in to the original purchase decision.

Praying that Buck and Leatherman stay the course...
To avoid the rain, dive into the ocean

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 10, 2023, 05:25:48 PM
I'm not a lawyer either, but I was looking online to try to get some clarity (a lousy source, to be sure, since anyone can post anything)

I get the sense that companies can have all sorts of stipulations on lifetime warranty contracts (eg, the original owner only.... repair, replace or refund at their discretion... etc).  The key here is that the warranty may have expired because GSM bought out SOG... so because the lifetime of the company as they were incorporated had ended, so did their warranty contracts. 

That's my hunch.   

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: June 10, 2023, 05:33:53 PM
 :iagree:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #18 on: July 07, 2023, 02:04:09 PM
Same thing with Cold Steel. I requested a stop pin for my AD-15 on their page, got a "nope we ain't have parts, but here is a coupon" next day.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 16, 2023, 03:15:37 PM
So I do have an old Switchpier with the usual dysfunctional Plier and a Powerlock BO with a defective Belt cutter.
I got the switchplier as a present and the Powerlock was purchased used (but unused, if you know what i mean).
Am I assuming correctly that it would be a aste of postage money and effort to try to get them repaired (even at my costt, if necessary)?
Too bad, I like the quirky SP and the Powerlock.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 04, 2023, 12:59:29 AM
Wouldn't know how to help with the Switchplier but, SOG has the replacement V- cutter for sale

https://sogknives.com/v-cutter/

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 15, 2023, 05:28:13 PM
Well, thank you very much - It is actually listed, but seems to be permanently out of stock.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: November 15, 2023, 07:49:21 PM
I'll have a look through the parts bin, I think I have a v-cutter from the blacktip.

What was the switchplier issue? Didn't someone replace the short pin with a longer pin?
I had to realign parts to get the switchplier 2 working.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 16, 2023, 12:47:09 PM
That would be great, Zoidberg. I fear posrtage might kill the deal, but please do have a look. :tu:

Regarding the Switchplier: I think I remember a thread here regarding the malfunction with the plier head and fixing it. But I cannot find it  :think:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: November 30, 2023, 12:43:23 AM
Sorry for the long delay.
Pic shows the blacktip v-cutter and a switchplier2 (no powerlock tools to compare with) blade.
If you think the pivot will work with the powerlock then PM an address and I'll send it over.

* bt v-cutter.jpg (Filesize: 176.8 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD