Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hello from Norway

no Offline aicolainen

Hello from Norway
on: October 03, 2022, 02:17:27 PM
Hi all. Pleased to finally be joining.
I've known about this place for quite a while, but the road traveled to get here was long and winded. I accidentally stumbled upon the EDC term, the related communities and tool categories around 2016. EDC is far from my only interest, so in an effort to not commit to too much online presence and still have a source of information and keep up with the times, I put my eggs in the EDCForums.com basket, as my one stop shop for all things related to EDC.
Sadly EDCF seem to be past its peak. To remedy some of the shortcomings of EDCF I've since joined BladeForums, WatchUSeek and the Spyderco Forum. Apart from Spyderco, which have a very nice and committed user base, my presence on these other forums have been very intermittent and usually just for researching specific topics. Lately I've been obsessing a bit more than usual on multitools and refining my tool selection to best fit my different use cases, so this in combination with very low engagement over on EDCF is what finally pushed me over. I haven't lurked at all, just dived right in🙂

My MT evolution
My first multitool, I don't really remember, so it's not in the "official" count. It was a SAK, I guess one of the well equipped multi layer models that would appeal to a young kid. It was bought on the ferry between Norway and Denmark a long time ago and was lost before I was old enough to really need it. It might have sparked a flame in a young kid, so it might not have been totally insignificant. I hardly remember it, and as such don't really miss it, but now that I'm older I wish I had it for completeness of the historical timeline, and also to know what model it was.

My second MT, and the first that really sparked my interest based on an actual need was the OG SuperTool that I both wished for and got for christmas in 1996. It was probably the first plier based MT I ever saw, and that's probably what appealed to me. I was studying electronics at the time and carried and used it every day throughout my studies and well into my first job.

In 2000 my uncle gifted me his personal Wave for me to have serving in the military. At that time it blew the ST out of the water with its one hand operating side tools. Not sure what happened to the ST after that, but it was probably neglected long enough that I eventually lost track of it. I miss it to some degree, but only for the same sentimental reasons I miss my first SAK.
The OG Wave has a special place in my tool collection. It's been with me for many years in the military, countless backpacking trips, many years in my civilian job as a field engineer and everything in between. I've never babied it and I'd be devastated if I lose it or break it, but that's life. It's through all the use I've built the attachment, so that's how our relationship has to continue.

From around 2007 I added a couple of Leathermans, and during this time all my tools were paid for by my employer. No questions asked. First off was the Skeletool CX (which I have replaced several times due to the previous being lost or confiscated on my countless travels), then a Crunch (that I somehow never lost) and lastly around the time I joined here a Squirt ES. In the meantime a LM SideClip was accidentally added by me suddenly finding one hiding in a used car I'd bought years prior.
A couple years ago I also added a Style PS, mostly to use for fishing as a light weight hook remover and scissors for trimming fishing line, but also as a complementary plier based companion to one of my SAK's when going backpacking or other weight conscious activity like camping or travel.

After discovering the EDC philosophy and community I slowly dipped my toes into SAK territory, that I up until then had considered gimmicky toys. It was a slow process, but with time I have realized that despite some quirks and lack of innovation they fit quite well with my current lifestyle and work situation, of which demands a lot less from my tools than it used to. I still haven't warmed up to the thicker ones, but probably have between 5-10 of the slimmer 1 to 3 layer knives at this point.

Today a slightly modified SAK Cadet is my EDC MT most days.
It's enough for most days, but I plan to supplement with a compact plier based MT for days when I just want a little bit more. I wish the LM Juice series was still around, but it seems the SOG PowerPint is where it's at these days. I think it has a clever design and well thought out tool selection, it's only their spotty reputation on QC that's been holding me back.
The Skeletool CX still fills a small niche for me. It currently lives in my EDC backpack and serves as my needle nose pliers and backup blade if my in pocket EDC falls short and is rarely far away from me. Don't use the bit kit much, as I have better alternatives as long as I already have access to my backpack. Beyond serving as a hot standby in my backpack, it is still a good option when you don't want to carry a dedicated knife yet want a decent knife with added functionality.
As a matter of fact, the replaceable bits MTs has never appealed to me. A MT to me, is primarily a quick and easy compromise solution to be able to quickly solve most challenges, most of the time. A bit kit adds complexity, logistics and dependencies. It may work for some, but I realized I rather have a well thought out MT with a relevant selection of fixed tools, and rather add a compact, standalone driver kit if I suspect the MT alone will fall short of the task ahead.
With that realization, a long and monogamous relationship with Leatherman ended a couple of weeks ago. For my extended needs, the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X seems to have the best balance of onboard tools. Yep, I bought the "old" clipless, two hand opening knife, Spirit X. Even though it's pretty light for what it does, at that size and weight I prefer sheath carry. And it won't likely ever be my primary knife, so I prefer to have it without the added snag and obstruction of the blade path that the new thumb studs add to the package. It's a really nice tool, that probably will replace my Wave for most relevant tasks.
I'll probably soon add the original Victorinox driver kit or ratchet kit and a combi sheath as it fits in well with my current philosophy of use, but it was unfortunately OOS at the time I ordered my Spirit X.

Will be interesting to see where this journey continues after joining here.

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Re: Hello from Norway
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 03:26:09 PM
Great introduction! Welcome to :MTO:

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 03:56:35 PM
Welcome!

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 04:12:32 PM
Hello and a very warm WELCOME !!!

I too, started my career in Electronics, so long ago, that around 2004 I learned that they no long taught what I was taught in 1972 as it’s is beyond obsolete.

A very good thing is that the WAVE, SuperTool and awl SAKs have never approached that age, and will always be appreciated. 
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 05:50:31 PM
Welcome aboard!

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 05:54:40 PM
Thank you all, for the warm welcome!

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 04:34:34 AM
Welcome to :MTO:

I've found that this journey doesn't really have a destination, and that's part of the fun!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 02:34:29 PM
Welcome to :MTO:

I've found that this journey doesn't really have a destination, and that's part of the fun!

Thanks. And agreed.

Though if you're not careful, there's always the risk of packing your itinerary too tight, not spending enough time at each stop, enjoying it and really discover what it has to offer.

Bon voyage ;)

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 02:06:46 AM
Welcome. Not all who wanders are lost. Some come here. Tolkien had it almost right. :cheers:

(And not all who are lost wanders, but that is another topic. Maybe you don't realize you're lost if you don't wander? Hm, I'm getting philosophical here. What was in this drink?)

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 09:59:57 PM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers:

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 12:33:28 AM
Welcome. Not all who wanders are lost. Some come here. Tolkien had it almost right. :cheers:

(And not all who are lost wanders, but that is another topic. Maybe you don't realize you're lost if you don't wander? Hm, I'm getting philosophical here. What was in this drink?)

Welcome to :MTO: :cheers:

Thank you, Vidar and Poncho!

us Offline ThisAlarm7

Reply #11 on: October 11, 2022, 03:42:36 PM
Welcome!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 01:56:58 AM
Greetings and Welcome  :waving: