Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Diamond Pocket Sharpener

Offline billings

Gerber Diamond Pocket Sharpener
on: February 01, 2009, 03:17:00 AM
hi guys i need a good sharpener for my blades (plain edge victorinox, leathermans, plain edge lock knives etc) i like them to be razor sharp all the time but i've never had a sharpener!
would this be good,,has anyone used it:  http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=GB41307
or what would you recommend?

thanks in advance

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Gerber Diamond Pocket Sharpener
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 03:41:22 AM
How much are you looking to spend?

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 03:45:26 AM
Best route is to pick up a Fallkniven DC3 or DC4 sharpening stone, it has two sides, diamond and ceramic. Once you learn to use it it your knives will thank you  :cheers:

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 03:47:10 AM
What is the difference between the DC3 and DC4?  Is the 4 bigger?
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 03:48:37 AM
hi guys i need a good sharpener for my blades (plain edge victorinox, leathermans, plain edge lock knives etc) i like them to be razor sharp all the time but i've never had a sharpener!
would this be good,,has anyone used it:  http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=GB41307
or what would you recommend?

thanks in advance

I'm not sure but I think a member here (Hawkchucker?) said he used one at some point on a SAK and it pretty much messed up the edge..

EDIT:
Or was the the electric sharpener? :think:

[

Offline billings

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 03:55:17 AM

as little as possible but demand quality results :D so will spend what i have to to get a nice item

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 03:56:29 AM
What is the difference between the DC3 and DC4?  Is the 4 bigger?

Yep DC4 is bigger. I have a DC3 can post pics later tonight or tomorrow  :cheers:

Offline billings

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 03:57:39 AM
Best route is to pick up a Fallkniven DC3 or DC4 sharpening stone, it has two sides, diamond and ceramic. Once you learn to use it it your knives will thank you  :cheers:

i'm a first time sharpener but i love my blades, would these be idiot-proof  :ahhh enough for a tool like me?

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 03:58:21 AM
That Gerber one might be fine but they have to many limitations :-\

I would recommend a Sharpmaker by Spyderco you could pick one up on Ebay for a more reasonable price but it is the best sharpener I have ever seen :) Bit more pricey than the one your looking at though ::) DMT also makes some nice diamond coated sharpeners :tu:

The DC3 and 4 I am also told are nice but no personal experiences with them :)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 04:14:06 AM

as little as possible but demand quality results :D so will spend what i have to to get a nice item

Check out lansky deluxe turnbox (or standard), pretty idiot proof, works like a cheaper sharpmaker.

Offline billings

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 04:14:59 AM
i asked about the gerber because it looks very simple to use and not get an uneven edge, i've also seen a youtube vid where a guy has a victorinox sharper which worked the same way as the gerber (you just stick it in and sharpen both edges)
i have looked at the spyderco sharpmaker before but thought i might mess it up, is it easy to use properly?

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 04:21:21 AM
If you've got an old SAK or other knife with a really dull blade it would be good to practive with that instead of laying down your favorite (or expensive) knife on a stone or other device.  That's the time to make mistakes while getting a feel for a particular sharpening technique.
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 04:23:29 AM
i asked about the gerber because it looks very simple to use and not get an uneven edge, i've also seen a youtube vid where a guy has a victorinox sharper which worked the same way as the gerber (you just stick it in and sharpen both edges)
i have looked at the spyderco sharpmaker before but thought i might mess it up, is it easy to use properly?
Can you hold a knife steadily? If so then yes. Watch the DVD it comes with and everything will be clear. There are some other finer things like sharpen the top half inch of blade seperately only on flat side of stone, so you don't accidentally slide off and round the tip, but you'll pick them up yourself as you use.

Offline billings

Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 04:33:34 AM

Can you hold a knife steadily?

sometimes i can, depending on a few variables :D

thanks for the replies guys
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 04:36:31 AM by billings »

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 11:48:59 AM
Hi there billings. I used to carry the ceramic version to touch up the blades of my knives and tools when out and about for long periods of time. For such tasks, and given that your blades have the same angle as that in the sharpener rods, the Gerber portable sharpener is just fine. It surely has its limitations, most notable of which is its inability to handle serrated blades. There are other similar devices out there that can do better than the Gerber in that field; for example, look at the Gatco micro-x or the Lansky mini crock stick setup. Of course, you will have a hard time matching the sharpness a master of freehand sharpening (or an owner of a sharpmaker :)) can achieve, but that's a completely different story...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 01:23:07 PM
I tried various cheap versions of that kind of thing and was never happy.  Having no personal experience with the Gerber it's hard to say.  What I can tell you is that learning to sharpen freehand is very satisfying.  I may not be able to get a better edge than can be achieved with a 'system' but I do enjoy the process itself. 

Whatever sharpener you get you should also make up a strop.  Mine is a bit of old leather belt stuck rough side up on a bit of 1" square wood.  Once you have used a sharpener then drag the blade over the leather until you have got rid of the almost inevitable burr.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline EZ822

Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 04:33:55 PM
This sharpener does a decent job for the price. I use it for touch up sharpening. Invest in a stone or Sharpmaker to properly sharpen your blades.
Erick

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 05:33:57 PM
It is not idiot proof.  :(
W

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 05:38:18 PM
I never was a fan of my one tbh :(

For that sort of money you could get a Lansky Dog Bone sharpener :)

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?s=8whldl1127916&strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=2459&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 05:37:34 AM
As promised pics of my DC3. Zippo, Skele and 84mm sak for comparison. 1st pic is the diamond side, and 2nd is the ceramic.
DSC00740.JPG
* DSC00740.JPG (Filesize: 64.41 KB)
DSC00744.JPG
* DSC00744.JPG (Filesize: 61.07 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74