Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your choices?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What are your choices?
on: April 03, 2023, 02:56:59 AM
While hiking a bit with our new puppy Dasher we came across this sign.  We have hiked here before, and it's nothing new to us.  We tried this particular trail a few years ago, but we're forced to turn back as it was spring and the trail alternated between dangerous ice and dangerous swamp.

Still, it got me thinking- I carry some of this stuff, but not all, so I have to rethink my load out.

It seemed like a great opportunity to see what everyone else would take!

What do you think of these suggestions? 

Def

* 16804831940701.jpg (Filesize: 136.34 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: What are your choices?
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 04:26:03 AM
Well, depending on your type of hike, whether it’s going to be an hour or all day, no matter what you should have the whistle, fak, knife, water, some type of food, and probably an emergency blanket, not to sound stupid but probably a mini mirror, getting out longer then up the carry, you should have a compass and map, cause phones don’t work everywhere and they break, something for rain is good, I have two 55gal trash bags folded ever so nice in a ziplock, when ever out I also wear a boonie hat to keep the sun off me but it would also work good on the rain, packing some extra warmth never hurt, of course you could always wear it tied around your waist too, also with the water if your going to be out longer I’d suggest some type of filter or a simple metal cup, nothing ever beat the old school military canteen along with its own cup and cooker, I have two, I mean today it’s some bottle with a round cup and some soda can cooker, but hey, to each their own,, so that leads to flame, strike anywhere matches, absolutely great, when put in a leakproof container, lighters work but they also sometimes go bad, but for starting fire, everyone has it yet most throw it away, all the stuff in the dryer, the absolute perfect fire starter, don’t ditch it, pack it! Also use Vaseline there’s some diff ways to make a few things. That should do, still hiking but doing overnight then again that steps up the game and amount you should carry!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 07:21:31 AM
I'd prefer a map and compass to a cell phone and a GPS. The map and compass work even in areas where cell phone and GPS signals are bad, and they don't need batteries. Water and some means of water purification are desirable; I'd go for a single-wall stainless steel bottle. Extra clothing couldn't hurt anything, but I'm not sure about the rain suit (unless it gets really wet). I'd bring a flashlight and maybe some extra batteries. For fire, I'd bring a ferro rod, another means of fire starting that doesn't require fuel, and some sort of tinder (dryer lint, as JR suggested, is great).

And, of course, I'd bring a fixed blade knife and a multi. As of right now, the fixie would be a Morakniv Garberg and/or an ESEE Izula II. The multi would most definitely have a wood saw. I've given some thought to getting another SwissChamp and seeing what tools I actually use over the course of a few hikes/camping trips.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 11:06:08 PM
I'll admit to a few things:

1- I usually use my phone and Google Maps for navigation. 

2- I don't carry (or even own!) any water purification devices.

3- I'm about 50/50 on bringing a FAK.  It's often in the car, although I do often have a small kit with a couple of band aids with me.

4- I usually dress a bit warmer than I need and don't actually bring other clothing.

5- Unless I specifically am going out in the rain (a few years ago I hiked up a mountain in a tropical cyclone because I was bored) I don't usually carry rain gear.

6-  I carry a knife, I often carry a camp stove (and something to ignite it with) and I usually don't bother with a flashlight.

Which basically means that, in an area that tends to be as wet as Nova Scotia is, I'm probably doomed.  Lighting a fire is difficult because everything is always wet, and I don't have warm clothes or rain gear so I'm likely to get soaked and become hypothermic.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 12:02:11 AM
I used to carry a silly amount of kit with me, most of it was never ever used and it just resulted in me carrying a big heavy pack.

These days, I am trying to be smarter by carrying what I need for the area/time of year and relevant safety gear. Previously I would have been carrying a 40 litre pack, these days, it is a 22 litre.

What I always have with me.
Phone
Garmin GPS handheld, spare batteries.
Garmin Fenix watch
Map and compass
Small FAK
LM Rebar
Headtorch and spare batteries. In autumn/winter will add a flashight as well.
Survival Bivvy bag
Survival blanket
Food and drink
Gloves
Powerbank

Autumn/Winter
Gore Tex jacket and trousers
Lighweight or midweight synthetic insulated jacket
Microfleece Top
Winter hat
additional pair of gloves

Spring/Summer
Gore Tex jacket (depending on weather forecast, may also include trousers)
Ultra lightweight synthetic insulated jacket
Microfleece top
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 04:52:22 AM
Survival Bivvy bag
Survival blanket
I would second these. I forgot to add the first-aid kit in my initial post. Go figure that the pre-fab one I would have chosen seems to be discontinued...
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 10:09:43 AM
Assuming it's somewhere I have not been before, there's a legitimate chance of hazards, and I'll be out for more than a day/can't just walk back to the car - I hike with

Pack
3-6L of water
Map
Compass
Whistle
First Aid kit
Edible food
Emergency food (clif bars or whatever)
Hat
Sunscreen
Sunglasses
Rain jacket
Fleece or down jacket (depending on season and region)
in winter - Merino thermals
Multitool (oh, look where I am, I better be specific - Gerber Multiplier 600 and Vic outrider)
Possibly a fixed blade (I better be specific again - Mora Clipper)
Water purification drops
Poop-trowel
Toilet paper
Spare socks
Spare undies
Gloves
Sleeping bag
Bivvy Bag
Possible a tent (if expecting real rain)
Possibly walking poles if there are steep inclines
Jetboil+Gas
Torch (better be specific again, Gerber Onyx)

That's all that springs to mind.

I am appalling when it comes to GPS/Satphones/PLBs.

I used to be a fan of PLBs, but after never really needing one I never got another....
been lucky so far I guess :P

If it's a short/day trip in daylight, I'll take...a hat, water, and a snack.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 10:24:29 AM by Sea Monster »

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 10:13:54 PM
I can't claim I've been hiking much the last few years, but when I do it usually just for a day or two in well known terrain. The stuff brought kind of reflects that. So for anything less than winter it typically goes:

Lightweight waterproof jacket and pants.
Middle layer of wool and/ or fleece.
Spare t-shirt and socks.
Gloves.
Cap or mosquito hat.
Small backpack or big bum bag.
Surgical tape for small wounds - basically band aids on roll.
Some food and drink. (All running water around is fine to drink).
Fixed blade.
Lighter.

For overnight stays I add a "fjellduk". (See for example: ).

Apart from protection from rain, wind, cold it allows sane sleeping without being sucked dry by mosquitoes or eaten by their tiny flesh eating friends. I just make a closed bag of it and crawl inside. That youtube video is way more sophisticated than me.  :D

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 12:47:00 AM
Below is what I have in/on my daypack and in my pockets.  Probably overkill, but I definitely try to be prepared for (1) any weather that might reasonably be encountered given the location and time of year regardless of the forecast, (2) hiking after dark, even if not part of the original plan, (3) spending the night on the trail, even if not part of the original plan, and (4) hopefully not being totally and completely hosed if I somehow get separated from my pack.

Pockets:

Cell phone

Several knives/MTs

Tick key

Key chain flashlight

PWII

Full size flashlight (currently Nitecore MH10S)

Fisher Bullet

Whistle

Sliver grippers

Several Bic lighters

Bandanna

Couple of Wet Ones singles

Wallet/cash

Day Pack:

Two compasses

Paper map of area in Ziploc bag

Small diamond hone

Headlamp

Extra batteries in Ziploc bag

Small Rite in the Rain notebook

Fire kit (more Bic lighters, firesteel, stormproof matches, tinder quik, newspaper) in Ziploc bag

Sawyer mini kit

Sunglasses

Hat (either wide-brimmed sun hat or warm fleece hat, depending on weather)

Fleece jacket

4x25’ of 550 cord

Signal mirror

Extra bandanna

Extra whistle

More Wet Ones

Good quality poncho

At least 40 fl oz of water in uninsulated stainless steel canteen; maybe additional water depending on weather and anticipated distance between water sources

Several empty heavy duty 55 gallon trash bags

Several empty two gallon Ziploc bags

Vic Farmer X

Small Ziploc bag of moleskin

Nisaku Hori Hori

Bug spray - I prefer 40% DEET

Maybe an additional fixed blade if I feel like it

Couple of Black Diamond Miniwire carabiners

Couple of emergency mylar blankets

Maybe lunch and or snacks depending on expected timing and duration of hike

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2023, 03:01:23 AM
I've given some thought to getting another SwissChamp and seeing what tools I actually use over the course of a few hikes/camping trips.

This is a solid plan if you have the funds for it.  I carried a SC for a short while some years ago for the same reason.  Personally, for a single SAK/knife/MT solution, I landed on the Climber for every day and the Huntsman for hiking/camping.  FX didn’t exist then, but is a good option if you’re willing to give up some of the extra functions of the Huntsman for the increased ruggedness of the FX.  I don’t regularly use the wood saw, but like to have it for emergencies.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%