Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

From Adam's shed

Adam5 · 18 · 1914

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
From Adam's shed
on: July 26, 2023, 04:01:33 AM
Over the past 2 years I have tried my hand at a few Leatherman mods, typically for the purpose to create an ideal work MT for myself. Each attempt had aspects that I liked, but ultimately each attempt fell short.

After months of not having space in my shed to move around, the junk has been cleared out and the space is mine again. I even have a mini fridge and portable air conditioner installed  :ahhh, so nobody will be taking my space away from me again  :viking: :D

So, with my space reclaimed, I decided to once again try to make a work MT that will be of great utility to me. First, I determined what I would like to have:

Pliers
Bit holder/adapter
Serrated blade
Wood saw
Metal saw
Prybar
Nail/Staple puller
File
Scraper
Thin straight screwdriver (for a certain type of electrical connector)
Awl
Small screwdriver

As for the bit holder/adapter, I had multiple types to choose from. But I am tired of carrying a small case of full size bits and would like to carry the Leatherman bits due to their compactness. So, I choose to have a Leatherman bit holder/adapter.

Now, which MT should be the platform for these tools? The obvious choice imo is the Super Tool 300M since it comes with a bit holder and a nail puller. So I watched eBay and managed to catch one in good shape for a good price.

This is what it looked like before work began:

The handle with the nail puller, serrated blade, etc... required no work. In the other handle, I jettisoned the plain edge blade, the file and the landyard and replaced them with a Surge t-shank blade holder (previously modified for a Core) and a Keyport MOCA Tool. I will probably replace the can opener with an awl. I also have installed an eyeglass bit holder as previously done by Dutch_Tooler, though I may not keep it.

I did modify the file to work in the t-shank holder (also put a chisel edge on the end of it), and have slightly modified some t-shank saw blades to work well in the t-shank holder.

I will update this thread when/if I make some additional changes to this MT.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: From Adam's shed
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 07:03:55 PM
Looking great :woohoo: I haven't modded anything in a while and you make me want to with this mod :ahhh :drool: :like: :like:

Congrats on getting your shed space back as well 8) :like:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 07:32:33 PM
Your own shed?
Fridge?
AC?

Sounds a bit like heaven.

I haven't seen the inside of mine in a couple years now and do most of my things on the front porch.

Oh, I'm liking your mod.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 09:43:12 PM
Looking great :woohoo: I haven't modded anything in a while and you make me want to with this mod :ahhh :drool: :like: :like:

Congrats on getting your shed space back as well 8) :like:

Thanks buddy  :cheers:

Your own shed?
Fridge?
AC?

Sounds a bit like heaven.

I haven't seen the inside of mine in a couple years now and do most of my things on the front porch.

Oh, I'm liking your mod.

The fridge and AC were my wife's idea. The space itself is all I require, but I did not turn down the chance for additional comforts  :D

us Offline Adam5

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 09:50:41 PM
I add a Nite-Ize pocket clip to make it easier to remove the MT from my Nite-Ize pouch.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 06:10:53 PM
The Keyport MOCA tool was really helpful when I needed to pop off the front cover of a Tesla charger:

However, I need to either make an adjustment to the small bit holder or remove it completely. As it is, I have to pay attention to how I am opening the MT or else it will catch on the other handle. I think D_T had an older version of the small bit holder and was able to drill out a new pivot hole and grind the holder down so that it never made contact with the other handle. This bit holder did not have enough meat to do that, so I need a different solution.

Also, the pliers are being problematic. Although I have whacked the pivot several times to loosen them up, they become stiff again. Since one handle is looser than the other, I have to use two hands to open the pliers. That does not work for me.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 01:29:45 AM
It is a neat mod and I am hopefully that you will find a solution to that problem :salute: :like:

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 02:38:37 PM
Awesome mod Adam !   :like: :tu:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 12:41:44 AM
Thanks Poncho and Steve  :cheers:

None of the T shank saw blades work quite as well as the Super Tool saw blade at cutting drywall. So, I modded a ST saw blade to fit in the T shank holder:

I also sharpened the tip of the saw blade to make starting the cut in drywall easier.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 01:33:36 AM
However, I need to either make an adjustment to the small bit holder or remove it completely. As it is, I have to pay attention to how I am opening the MT or else it will catch on the other handle. I think D_T had an older version of the small bit holder and was able to drill out a new pivot hole and grind the holder down so that it never made contact with the other handle. This bit holder did not have enough meat to do that, so I need a different solution.

Maybe his was from a Surge and yours from a Wave?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 01:53:11 AM
Thanks Poncho and Steve  :cheers:

None of the T shank saw blades work quite as well as the Super Tool saw blade at cutting drywall. So, I modded a ST saw blade to fit in the T shank holder:

(Image removed from quote.)

I also sharpened the tip of the saw blade to make starting the cut in drywall easier.

Nice idea modding a ST saw :salute: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 01:53:43 AM

:iagree: totally could have been the case :salute:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 02:47:13 AM
I have made a few more changes, and I have incorporated my ST EOD into my daily carry also:

What used to be a ST 300M has many of the ST EOD tools installed, especially the excellent Phillips and straight drivers. It has a Nite Ize pocket clip and resides in the Nite Ize pouch with the Leatherman bits and the leather slips.

The former ST EOD has the EOD t shank holder, a Surge t shank holder, a Leatherman bit holder, a Multiforce ¼" bit holder, the EOD saw, and a Keyport MOCA 10-in-1. It resides in a spare pocket in my work pants, which explains the excess lint  :D

The leather slips house an assortment of t shank saw blades, a Surge file, a ST 300M file modified to work with the Surge t shank folder, some paddle bits that I modified in the past to serve as awl/punch/scraper, a long 5/16" driver, a 1/4" masonary bit, a long 1/4" bit holder, and a Stanley 4-way pen screwdriver.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 02:48:54 AM

:iagree: totally could have been the case :salute:

It probably was the case.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 03:44:08 AM
Great to see you,  Adam  :woohoo: some great additions and a great looking pic with your carry stuff  8) :like: :like:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #15 on: April 08, 2024, 10:51:23 AM
I miss this place
 :D

I hope to be around more starting next month  :woohoo:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2024, 03:50:38 AM