Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening methods

Poll

What method or system do you use to keep your gear sharp?

Spyderco Sharpmaker
5 (17.9%)
KME
0 (0%)
Apex Pro
0 (0%)
Work Sharp (various models)
3 (10.7%)
Wicked Edge
0 (0%)
Hapstone sharpeners
0 (0%)
TSProf
0 (0%)
Freehand methods
11 (39.3%)
Lansky sharpeners
6 (21.4%)
Other methods or systems not mentioned
3 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2024, 06:01:04 PM

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Sharpening methods
on: January 05, 2024, 06:01:04 PM
I'm reviewing sharpening systems because I feel you guys would like to know how different systems stack up. I'm trying to see what's most popular with our community, and see what I can cover. If there's anything not mentioned in the poll above please let me know what system or method your using to keep your knives and tools sharp.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Sharpening methods
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 06:05:00 PM
I use the Lansky Turnbox with ceramic sticks to keep my knives sharp. If they are very dull then I free hand with a diamond stone to establish an edge and then onto the Turnbox to finish it up.

The Turnbox does a great job and is very inexpensive compared most other systems.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 06:25:38 PM
I had overlooked the Lansky turnbox, I use to own something similar back in the day.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 06:45:14 PM
I have also used and will use the Lanksy Turnbox and Lansky guided system.  Big fan of the Spyderco Sharpmaker. 

I looked at the other options listed as well but so far the cost vs benefits for me are not there and normally not needed for my purposes.  I have whetstones and diamond plates that have been more than enough for my needs.  I also love a good strop. 

Early on I used the term sharpening for what I was doing with my edges.  A great example is with SAKs.  Once the edge was not cutting as I liked I would run the blade on my Turn Box or Sharpmakers ceramic rods.  I called this process sharpening.  As time went by I understood differently.   

Honing for me is realigning the edge.  Sharpening is creating a new edge. 

Sharpening is removing a fair amount of steel.  I've repaired a lot of knives over the years.  Meaning, taking a knife that has chips or a terrible grind and I'd make a new bevel.  I have also changed the degree of the edge from 20 degree per side  to 17 or a V grind to Convex.  I've thinned out quite a few knives behind the edge as well.

Sorry to get off track.   

I am always interested in what people use and why they use these systems.  I also love to hear about people changing factory edges to what fits their needs best.  I love to see people tweaking their edges in many ways. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 07:03:39 PM
Thank you @Aloha you said more than I covered in my poll description you are indeed correct. I too do more honing than sharpening on the daily, with sharpening only happening when I'm trying to fix something or change an angle. I feel it's not something discussed too much on here, and can be a deep rabbit hole if one goes looking.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 07:32:31 PM
 :salute:

I love seeing all the amazing equipment people use.  I watch a few folks online and what I am happy to see are terrific results from a variety of equipment.

There is something to be learned from those who enjoy the sharpening process.  I look forward to what your experiences are.   
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 11:36:29 PM
I've used the Lansky guided system for a while, the Worksharp guided field sharpener and just a flat surface with some sandpaper, now I'm trying to get back into freehand sharpening again with Eze-lap diamond stones :tu:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 12:20:06 AM
I have a few different ones I play with.  I have a Sharpmaker, with med, fine and x-fine stones, Lansky 4 stone Tool box, DMT diamond guided system in x-course to x-fine, DMT bench stone set and a Worksharp guided pocket one as well as the Worksharp Precision Adjust (haven't tried this one yet).

That said, one of my favorites is still a set of discontinued Spyderco 701MF stones, which I have two sets of.

* 701MF_Front.jpg (Filesize: 119.08 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 01:05:02 AM
I voted for the Sharpmaker but I mostly freehand with diamonds :D I have lots of sharpening gear and it is another hobby and collection that I don't talk about much but I do love to sharpen :dd: I need to sit down and do some maintenance on several blades of mine and lots of our kitchen knives :ahhh

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 02:03:42 AM
I have a few different ones I play with.  I have a Sharpmaker, with med, fine and x-fine stones, Lansky 4 stone Tool box, DMT diamond guided system in x-course to x-fine, DMT bench stone set and a Worksharp guided pocket one as well as the Worksharp Precision Adjust (haven't tried this one yet).

That said, one of my favorites is still a set of discontinued Spyderco 701MF stones, which I have two sets of.
Why are these discontinued? It's the same set I've used for over a decade

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024, 02:36:05 AM
I’ve only ever used a simple whetstone or a sharpening steel,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024, 04:32:46 AM
Why are these discontinued? It's the same set I've used for over a decade

I am not sure why they were discontinued but if memory serves, it was around 2017/2018 and in 2018 was when I picked up that new set for a backup!  It would have been cool if they made a holder for them and just kept producing them!

They also have a half size set called something like 702MF (not sure number is right) and I have a set of them somewhere but haven't seen them in a long time so probably lost them!

us Offline BlindFarmer

Reply #12 on: January 06, 2024, 04:55:17 AM
I use two systems. The Lansky guided stone system for a complete setup, and the Blade Medic for quick touch ups.

* IMG_20240105_225118842.jpg (Filesize: 306.4 KB)
When all else fails, go for the joke - Paul

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2024, 01:13:54 PM
    This is actually an interesting thread.  Unfortunately, it looks like it is sinking a little.  I might as well throw in my little contribution.  I already made my vote on day one.  Freehand. 
     I use Arkansas stones at home.  I have four of them that used to be glued to a display in a store.  When the store went down the tubes, I bought the things from someone for a couple of dollars.  Seconds.  Back of the stones were covered with contact cement, so I just put them back-to-back and made two sets of sharpening stones.  Hard. Soft.  Two medium types.  I finish things off with a razor hone.  It is what is commonly called a black Arkansas.  Smooth as a piece of marble.  Bought it at a flea market.  Don't remember any details. 
     All of these things aren't very portable, so I keep a small ceramic rod in my belt pack.  A piece of tubular industrial scrap.  Someone gave it to me ages ago.  Might post a boring photo.  Maybe not.  Best wishes.  G
 :)

PXL_20240108_121731906.jpg
* PXL_20240108_121731906.jpg (Filesize: 131.41 KB)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 01:23:55 PM by IMR4198 »

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2024, 12:07:16 AM
I enjoy seeing what other people are using, and amazed at how many people opt for freehand sharpening. It truly is an art, one that most folks aren't willing to take the patience to learn.

For about 15 years I was strictly a Sharpmaker guy, and from poll results on Facebook it seems 25% of those who voted are the same. I'm just now dabbling into other sharpeners and it's crazy how far down the rabbit hole one can go.

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #15 on: January 09, 2024, 06:23:29 AM
My father-in-law gifted me the Lansky guided diamond system so that's been my go-to for several years now.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

gb Online gra_farmer

Reply #16 on: January 09, 2024, 08:43:01 AM
I mainly freehand, on pretty much most shaperning mediums. The stones I favor are Japanese water stones, but learnt on oil stones as a child.

I am one of those infuriating people that can get crazy edges on bladed tools with very little effort, and with simplistic kit.

Once I have the edge I want, I top up the edge by stropping.

I would love to try a worksharp one of these days, but not worth me buying as I don't need a system to help me.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #17 on: January 09, 2024, 12:13:22 PM
Fällkniven DC4, Victorinox Diamond Sharpener, Strop, Wetpaper, Teamug...whatever is at hand.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2024, 04:18:30 PM
gra_farmer and Shuya  :2tu:

While I can work on a whetstone I'm still very much learning.  I also have Arkansas stones I use sometimes.   
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline Shuya

Reply #19 on: January 09, 2024, 05:24:07 PM
gra_farmer and Shuya  :2tu:

While I can work on a whetstone I'm still very much learning.  I also have Arkansas stones I use sometimes.

I have a full set of sharpening equipment.
Including japanese waterstones, several nature stones up to 3000grit and two strops.
Was a sharpening junkie years ago. Polished hairpopping edges freehand on a stone.

And at one point I realized there is simply no need for that and I began to use pocket sharpeners more  often and I am happy with a good useable edge.
My blades are not dull, I can sharpen to shaving sharp with ease on these tools.
I just dont overdo anymore.

us Offline BlindFarmer

Reply #20 on: January 09, 2024, 05:36:03 PM
I have a full set of sharpening equipment.
Including japanese waterstones, several nature stones up to 3000grit and two strops.
Was a sharpening junkie years ago. Polished hairpopping edges freehand on a stone.

And at one point I realized there is simply no need for that and I began to use pocket sharpeners more  often and I am happy with a good useable edge.
My blades are not dull, I can sharpen to shaving sharp with ease on these tools.
I just dont overdo anymore.

That is me in that I do not overthink it anymore. Sometimes in sharpening I feel we overthink it. Gotta have the latest tool in the sharpening phase. When diamond stones came out, all of a sudden your 50 year old oil stone is not good enough. For me a good daily use working edge is good enough. The Lansky Blade Medic does anything I need to do. I would rather maintain my blade with a few strokes with the Blade Medic rather than let it dull and spend 10 minutes with a wet stone.
When all else fails, go for the joke - Paul

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: January 09, 2024, 06:50:38 PM
As steels for knives changed so did the methods to sharpen.  High carbide steels do require abrasives best suited for them.  Sure the steel junkies also love to have a play with equipment but there is something to it all as well. 

All aspects of sharpening steel is as fun as the steels themselves.  Once you have an edge you're happy with maintaining is all that really needs to be done IMO.  Damage can happen even with those who use their knives lightly.  Knowing how to sharpen is a good skill to have and the right equipment can make that job easier and efficient with the results expected.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #22 on: January 09, 2024, 11:46:54 PM
My father-in-law gifted me the Lansky guided diamond system so that's been my go-to for several years now.
I'm going to check it the Lansky system, it's a simplistic way get the same results as a KME or similar. One can go as Lansky all the way to Wicked Edge.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #23 on: January 09, 2024, 11:50:32 PM
Fällkniven DC4, Victorinox Diamond Sharpener, Strop, Wetpaper, Teamug...whatever is at hand.
Never underestimate the tea mug, great for touch ups on those carbon steel folders and the like.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #24 on: January 09, 2024, 11:55:06 PM

That is me in that I do not overthink it anymore. Sometimes in sharpening I feel we overthink it. Gotta have the latest tool in the sharpening phase. When diamond stones came out, all of a sudden your 50 year old oil stone is not good enough. For me a good daily use working edge is good enough. The Lansky Blade Medic does anything I need to do. I would rather maintain my blade with a few strokes with the Blade Medic rather than let it dull and spend 10 minutes with a wet stone.

Everything does feel like a competition, who can out do who. Regular stones like oil still have thier place, I think diamonds became more common place because newer steels would take a very long time on traditional methods. The blade medic is what I think @Aloha said, easier to maintain an edge before it gets to the point you have to "sharpen", which is me in most cases.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #25 on: January 09, 2024, 11:58:04 PM
As steels for knives changed so did the methods to sharpen.  High carbide steels do require abrasives best suited for them.  Sure the steel junkies also love to have a play with equipment but there is something to it all as well. 

All aspects of sharpening steel is as fun as the steels themselves.  Once you have an edge you're happy with maintaining is all that really needs to be done IMO.  Damage can happen even with those who use their knives lightly.  Knowing how to sharpen is a good skill to have and the right equipment can make that job easier and efficient with the results expected.     
Sharpening freehand is something I definitely need to get better at. I can get a knife sharp enough to cut paper cleaning, but shaving is just out of reach. I've got a few diamond cards that will fit in a wallet, 3 different grits. Maybe I need to practice on them, that or I can use a Sharpmaker rod. There's something very satisfying about getting something really sharp with nothing but a stone and skill.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #26 on: January 10, 2024, 01:32:12 PM
i use bit allkind sharpening methods, it really depends where i am and what im sharpening. i have Victorinox Dual Sharpener, Worksharp Guided Field Sharpener, Worksharp Pivot Knife Sharpener, Worksharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener, least 3 Diamond Rod Sharperners, 4-5 Pivot Sharpeners (unbranded) 2 x Wheatstones. mostly i use Work Shard GFS and Vic Dual Sharpener to my SAKS and MTs sometimes i use Wheatstones, for kitchen knifes and other thin blades i use mostly Vic Sharepening Steel or Worksharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener. For workknifes Worksharp GFS or Worksharp Pivot Knife Sharpener. Basicly for rest of my knives i use Wheatstone freehand sharpening method ( i get best result).

us Offline sparkyv

Reply #27 on: January 10, 2024, 02:30:41 PM
I use the  Lansky guided diamond system for scary sharp edges mainly on my nicer knives but use the Work Sharp MK2 electric unit for good and fast working edges on my hard-use, less expensive knives.  I also have a half dozen other systems that I toy around with on occasion.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #28 on: January 10, 2024, 04:56:23 PM
 @Antti Lammi @sparkyv you guys seem to have things pretty covered
 I think a lot of people have more than one method, either because they have tried different ones to find what suits the situation best. Or maybe they like a variety when picking them because there not a one size fits all type of thing.

Take the Smith tri-hone they use in the meat dept here at work. I can get the knives they use in the depts pretty sharp, enough to get get the job done. But it's not something I would use on some of my other knives, say like the Vosteed Griffin I'm carrying now. It's a hawkbill style blade, and I would need my Sharpmaker or a rod sharpener to properly sharpen.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: January 11, 2024, 05:38:33 PM
This thread got me to thinking of another from several years ago :cheers:

Here is the link to that thread about sharpening gear :tu:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67335.msg1303124.html#msg1303124

And the link to my pic of most of my sharpening gear :whistle: I think I have a few more things now but basically the next post of mine down explains how and what I use. It is pretty much the same to this day :tu:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67335.msg1308722.html#msg1308722

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD