Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vosteed Hedgehog

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Vosteed Hedgehog
on: May 14, 2024, 02:29:57 AM
What's blue, and quicker than an egg shaped villain? No, not Sonic but another hedgehog who's stealing the spotlight! Vosteed continues to come up with creative names for their products, and this is no exception. Hedgehogs are unique critters, having many things that make it special in the animal kingdom. This new knife from the creative mind of Yue Dong, has many cool features that make it special too.

The Hedgehog sports an overall length of 7.11", a blade length of 2.99", and a handle length of 4.12". This guy literally is the size of a hedgehog, which makes holding onto this guy a little different. The handle is made of GT-mascus, which is sort of G10 Damascus thing. It doesn't change the texture at all but certainly makes it look cool. They chose to add a the frag pattern to the rear of the handle to give additional grip. Vosteed uses the pattern on many of their knives, and it's a favorite by the community. I neither like it nor dislike, I feel implementation is better on some models.

The handle on the hedgehog, with my index in the  guard area, makes for three finger grip. Having average sized hands can make smaller handles knives a challenge. Not having a full grip can make certain tasks challenging to say the least. Thankfully, they have implemented two places besides the guard to place your index finger, thus improving your grip. You've got a very large finger choil, which makes for a very comfortable four finger grip. For those who think this may be a little dicey, putting your sausages in harms way. They've put jimping right on the guard itself, making for a nice middle point when choking up on the blade. With both positions, your grip is improved and helps give you better control of the blade. Without the ability to choke up it would feel like the blade is way out there from the handle. The hedgehog is one of the latest models to take advantage of the Vosteed top lock. This lock is a modified version of the Spyderco compression lock. The addition of a push button makes unlocking super easy. It feels like a button lock, but the mechanism is simpler and stronger in my opinion.

The business end of the hedgehog is modified sheepsfoot blade in S35VN. The swedge combined with the fuller is quite eye catching. It takes a very utilitarian shaped blade, and make it stylish. The blades tall for is size, coming in at 1.30". This blend of height and flat makes it one heck of a slicer. The S35VN performs admirably, going a long time before needing to be sharpened. Even though I've used blades with modern powder steels, I'm still impressed. I'm used to cheap stainless, low harness blades. Modern steels have brought many advantages, from edge holding to corrosion resistance. A steel like S35VN is a perfect choice for a hard working blade that won't have time to take a break.

This little guy is hard working and impressive from a performance standpoint. On top of that, it's a looker, something that doesn't just work hard but looks good doing it. If you're looking for something different then the hedgehog is that. There's a veritable cornucopia of models to choose from at Vosteed. The hedgehog just adds to that bounty.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 03:39:08 AM by David Bowen »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59