Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Warranty..

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
LM Warranty..
on: February 10, 2009, 09:01:11 PM
Well, I was recently talking with a LM warranty rep and he said "We are also asking that you send no more than 6 tools in one years time." I just wanted to give 'yall the heads up!  :salute:

B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: LM Warranty..
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:03:10 PM
If you manage to break 6 in a year you are doing something seriously wrong!  :D
I'm back!!

Offline cryptrick

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:34:53 PM
Even if you sent more than 6 tools in, surely they would still be obliged to get them repaired anyway?
[

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:35:46 PM
I bet you would have to pay a "nominal" fee.
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 10:59:02 PM
 :think: I would say that is to stop ppl from abusing the warranty by buying a bunch of broken LM (like on Ebay) and sending them all in for repair to resale

I could be wrong though :)

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 11:19:05 PM
I wondered about that cause I have 3 I want to send back. I will have to keep them to a minimum then.

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 07:40:00 AM
That's the first time i've heard that, and it certainly isn't the case where i've worked.
It didn't and doesn't matter there how many Leatherman tools you bring in; they will be serviced.

Offline AJ

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 08:30:59 AM
We are also asking that you send no more than 6 tools in one years time

Sorry, but I think that's BS.

How are "they" asking?

By telling you so you can tell eveyone else?

Seems to me Leatherman should have something on there website about it if there was any truth to it.

I think the guy may have been pulling your leg.
[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 09:10:46 AM
Sorry, but I think that's BS.

How are "they" asking?

By telling you so you can tell eveyone else?

Seems to me Leatherman should have something on there website about it if there was any truth to it.

I think the guy may have been pulling your leg.

I think it's a bit like me "Asking" for people not to use American Express credit cards.

I'm not really asking, and I'm sure as hell not going to stop them from paying me, but it'd be nice if they had a Mastercard instead!

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 12:37:50 PM
I could see them questioning it if you strted sending them in weekly. But in all honesty a warranty is a warranty no matter how many tools you have sent in.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 04:40:23 AM
:think: I would say that is to stop ppl from abusing the warranty by buying a bunch of broken LM (like on Ebay) and sending them all in for repair to resale

I could be wrong though :)

Case in point ::)

I have bought from this dealer before but nothing was wrong with what I bought ;)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 04:44:34 AM
That's the first time i've heard that, and it certainly isn't the case where i've worked.
It didn't and doesn't matter there how many Leatherman tools you bring in; they will be serviced.

That's good to hear :tu:

I believe that if they are messed up by the person sending them or if you explain you bought it and it was broken then sure no problem :cheers:

I just don't believe a person should buy a bunch of broken ones and turn around after getting them fixed and start selling them for a profit :) but that's just my opinion

but if anyone is selling them at a good price I am sure I would be first in line ::) :D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 11:05:29 AM
Yah I cant get a grip on that. The company has an accepted loss built into the budget. Plus I cant see a company redoing a warrentee.
S

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 11:15:54 AM
I can see their point actually. There are sellers on ebay actually listing Leatherman tools with comments like "the pliers are broken, but that's OK because you can return it and they'll fix it for you".

We've debated to death on here in the past what might be "fair" and what is clearly taking the p*ss with the LM warranty, and I think that this kind of practice is over-stepping the mark a bit, personally.

I'm certain that if you produced the receipts to show that you'd purchased the tools, LM wouldn't quibble about fixing 100 tools for you, but it would be a shame if the "abuse" of the warranty leads to restrictions or more likely, even higher prices in the future.

The "no more than 6" rule sounds like a reasonable request to me, in fact it might even be generous. Remember that the warranty is only supposed to cover manufacturing defects, by rights, a driver that's been snapped after being used to lift paving slabs isn't actually covered, but they fix it for you anyway.

I have no problem with this, it's "fair".
I used to come here a lot.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 11:19:01 AM
I have no problem with this, it's "fair".

or rather, it's not fair, but if the common people weren't such pricks, we wouldn't have to control them with iron fisted rulings.

The unruly populace brought this on themselves.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 11:34:29 AM
You're point is a good one Nomad, however, I think it is fair for one reason. The warranty only covers manufacturing defects, not mis-use, yet they seem to fix anything, regardless.

But I do agree that the "unruly populace" seem to have LM thinking about what it's costing them. I hope that we don't start seeing them refusing because you're not supposed to use the file as a pry-bar etc. That would be a shame.

I actually think that they will continue to fix things, because it's a huge selling point of LM tools, but you could see them putting prices up to cover the warranty abuse.
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 01:44:46 PM
Until I actually hear of them turning someone down, I don't know what the big deal is. :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 04:18:17 PM
Until I actually hear of them turning someone down, I don't know what the big deal is. :think:

Good point Luke :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD