Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Carved pocket knives

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Carved pocket knives
on: March 29, 2024, 06:18:34 PM

Carved is a creative company that designs products that evoke a sense of warmth and nostalgia. The company started in 2011 when John and Grant began their quest to create the perfect wood phone case. Over a decade later, they've expanded their product line to include a variety of wood and resin creations, including pocket knives!

Carved's pocket knives feature the same wood and resin art found in their other popular products. These knives are perfectly sized for everyday carry and boast premium features such as a titanium framelock and a damascus steel blade. Each knife is unique, much like a work of art. The different woods and vibrant resin colors result in knives that are both eye-catching and warm.

The handle is the shining feature of this knife, even considering the beautiful damascus blade. The titanium framelock's show side is milled to reveal as much of the wood and resin as possible. The wood grain and swirl of resin are quite beautiful and smooth to the touch. I was initially concerned that dropping my knife might cause cracking or damage to the handle, but it feels like they've stabilized the materials enough to prevent any potential mishaps. The polished pivot is a nice touch, and a great choice compared to other knives that expose a torx screw.

On the flip side, we have the framelock and pocket clip. The titanium has a matte finish with enough texture to provide a secure grip. The lock features the standard steel insert with an over travel stop. The pocket clip is very slim and milled from titanium. It slides in and out of the pocket smoothly, making it a better choice than bulkier clips. I'm not sure who Carved's OEM is, but they've done an exceptional job.

The blade is a drop-point design crafted from damascus steel. Damascus steel is prized for its stunning patterns, a testament to the skill of the blade smith. I contacted Carved to inquire about the composition of their damascus steel, something that interests knife enthusiasts. While most casual users might not care, knife aficionados appreciate these details. The damascus is made from 316L and 5Cr15Mov steel with a 440b core. Interestingly, I would have expected at least a 440c core. Other companies like Kansept use two steels for pattern welding, both with a composition similar to 440c steel. Whoever manufactures these blades for Carved chose to use a combination of 420-ish and 300-series steel damascus sandwiched around a 440b core in a San Mai style.

How does the blade perform? It's adequate for everyday tasks like opening mail or cutting loose strings. However, the steel's performance doesn't quite match its beauty. It's important to remember that this knife isn't designed for heavy-duty use or as a box cutter. The blade, while beautifully designed, is rather thick for its size. This thickness hinders its slicing ability. On the positive side, the flipper and bearing pivot make deployment smooth and effortless.

Overall, this knife is a visually stunning and easy-to-use piece. However, its performance suffers slightly. The entire package showcases the high-quality materials and meticulous attention to detail that Carved is known for. This knife is ideal for those who want to complement formal wear or use it for special occasions. While it might not be the best choice for an everyday carry knife, it would make a great gift for someone special.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline AzteCypher

Re: Carved pocket knives
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 05:49:52 AM
That's a good looking knife for sure.  Do you think it'd be light enough for a lady to carry one in her purse?
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 11:47:57 AM
Absolutely, it's pretty light thanks to the titanium.

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 11:45:56 PM
I think I found my wife's anniversary present then.

Wait... is that a wise idea??

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 12:11:50 AM
Absolutely! Nothing like planning ahead. It's attractive and won't break the bank. They may even have a knife with the same name as your wife, how cool would that be.

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 07:31:15 AM
Well what do you know.... They had one at one point.  Very cool indeed.

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 03:21:18 PM
Sorry about that, and I don't know if they recycle names or they're truly limited editions.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2024, 06:10:20 PM
   I thought for a second there that your wife's name was wood-resin.  I'm glad I read a little farther.  Probably not any worse than 'pumpkin' or 'muffin' once I think about it.  Or 'puddin'.  Best wishes.  G
 :dunno:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 06:19:02 PM
My girlfriend is name is 48221520 Fastback Smooth Blade Flip Knife, and as luck would have it, Milwaukee makes a knife called just that.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 07:19:05 PM

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 06:16:33 AM
I'm dying over here...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 12:47:17 AM
@AzteCypher they've got a newer version coming out. Wood/resin on both sides, slimmer blade, etc I grabbed some screens from thier insta video

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 06:40:27 AM
Oh man!  Going to have to check them out.

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 02:06:09 PM
My girlfriend is name is 48221520 Fastback Smooth Blade Flip Knife, and as luck would have it, Milwaukee makes a knife called just that.

Milwaukee has a fastback set with the compact and the one with the screwdriver. We got one and call it "The His and Hers" set.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 12:53:01 AM
Another photo

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!