Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Grand Harvest GHK13 (Daicamping DL5) Mods

de Offline thom53281

Grand Harvest GHK13 (Daicamping DL5) Mods
on: April 01, 2024, 09:23:07 PM
Hello everyone!

Easter days were boring, so I startet a new project. Not because I had to, but because I can. I have already shown here a wrench mod with a rather cheap multitool (avaliable under different brands) and some mods to the Roxon M2. I carried the Roxon for random EDC and my wrench multitool with a bit screwdriver for everyday work. And was mostly happy with it.

But problem is size and weight for my work carry. It is just a little to much. So I searched for replacements and I found another rather cheap multitool. My old tool held up well, so I had no problem with buying another cheap multitool. So I ordered a Grand Harvest GHK13, which is also avaliable as Daycamping DL5.

Here are both compared, first my normal carry and the vanilla GHK tool.

Wow, right now I am carrying almost 500g (17.6oz) with me every work day. The old multitool only has 384g (13.5oz). The GHK is also not very lightweight with 266g (9.4oz) and I did not start modifying it yet. But the plan is not to get the new tool smaller and lighter than the old one, I just want to get rid of the bit screwdriver and save its weight and space. My old multitool has only one rather bad flat screwdriver and nothing else.

First a quick look at what the GHK can do out of the box.

I love those scissors and this was one reason why I chose this tool. But it has no adjustable wrench and I need it. So we have to add it. But first I noticed one rather annoying detail.

There is a big empty space. On the photos it seems not this big but compared to the size of the tool it ist gigantic. Perhaps there are tools which should go into this space and are not sold with the tool. Maybe a ferro rod or a whistle? But I have no need for those since I am not into survival. So it is just lost space. Or is it?

Maybe I can just put my wrench into this spot. So fist I had to remove some spacer metal that was blocking the entrance. I made a new one which was not bent and put it back.

Now there is much more space. My plan now was not only to put the wrench into there. I also want to quickly add and remove the wrench. First I wanted it to be held in place by some bent sheet metal on the wrench. But this did not work. Then I used some bent wire to hold it in place. This can be seen on some of the photos. It worked but I also was not happy with it. Then I realized I just could use the new spacer metal I made to hold the wrench.

Here is how the mechanism works.

The new spacer metal slips into a groove on the wrench. With a little twisting and pulling I can get it out. This has a lot of advantages compared to my old tool. First of all there are some tools which would collide with the wrench. I now can remove it and use all tools without any problems. I can also choose if I need the wrench and leave it at home when not needed. And in cases where I need two wrenches, I now can simply remove the wrench and use it on one side and the pliers on the other side.

With weight and size we are already at my old tool, but without the screwdriver it is still 100g (3.5oz) lighter and uses a lot of space less. I also have some more modifications in mind to better replace the bit screwdriver. Right now I only have two sizes flat and the Phillips on my multitool.

Also I want to replace the adjustable wrench with another one. Right now it is just one from my first experiments with my older multitool and it is a 6" one. I want to switch to a 4" one to reduce weight and size. But those ones only open to 15mm - I really want 17mm and 19mm would be better. But maybe I find somethin suitable or I just widen a 4" one.

Maybe this helps someone.  :cheers:

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Grand Harvest GHK13 (Daicamping DL5) Mods
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 12:06:21 AM
Very innovative.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :like:

de Offline thom53281

Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 09:14:43 PM
The last days I took it to the next step. I wanted some sort of bit driver on my tool to completely replace my screwdriver. I liked the concept of the Gerber Centerdrive. But it wastes to much space in my opinion. So I thought I could get this better.

I started with two identical bitholders for a 1/4" ratchet.

To use double sided bits, I first had to drill them through with the biggest drill which fit there. Left is drilled, right is before drilling.

Then I centered them with the drill and welded them together.

Next I had to manufacture a holder to replace the saw. The saw is the least useful thing for me on my multitool. I use it twice a year. So no real loss and the best place for a bit driver. I took some 2mm thick steel and formed it like this.

The last step was welding the bit drivers on. And we have a bit adapter.  :cheers:
It can use one double sided bit and store another double sided for quick access. So I have access to four different screwdriver options and can also use normal bits. I do not want to carry a bit kit, but will put one or two more regularly used bits in my wallet with my cash.

Since I have no double sided bits yet, I just made one myself. Not very nice, but does the job. Thinking of doing the same with the second bit, since all double sided bits do not offer the combos I want.

What I want:

Big flat + PZ1
Small flat + T20

Those are the most versatile options for stuff I do.

Also the new bit driver allowed me to place a small magnet there which holds a needle. I need a magnet and a needle sometimes, so this is perfect.

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 01:49:11 AM
Outstanding mods, thom53281 :tu: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34