Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My PST2.5

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

My PST2.5
on: April 03, 2024, 05:06:34 PM
Not the most difficult mod to make, but I still had to drill through that pretty tough handle ! I also had to dremel part of the little tab that got in the way of the pliers. I had seen someone on youtube do something similar, but he just cut of the tab entirely, and so his clip swirled around with now way to stop it. Mine is nice and secure, no jiggling and it is, for now at least, really solid.

I now have a PST2 with a Sidekick clip, or a Sideclip with scissors, file and a combo blade. Should I call it the PST2.5 ? The Sideclip2 ? Sure, it doesn't have the perfect beauty, solid feel and class of the Sideclip, and it seems less streamlined than the PST, but, all in awl (which it doesn't have), I like it quite a bit.

Only problem is the different type of lettering on the presentation side…

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: My PST2.5
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 05:41:46 PM
Awesome mod. PST 2.5 sounds good name

Only Tools Matters

ru Offline madfishcat

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 05:37:14 PM
Thanks for the idea, I've been thinking about it...

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 08:42:58 PM
Thanks for the idea, I've been thinking about it...
OK, I'll break down what I did :
1. Drill a hole in the handle, at a slight angle, to let the tab go in the handle bump. I used a 3.2mm drill and it's a perfect fit. You might have to start with a carbide if you have one (I used the drills used for glass ; that stainless is HARD !). And remember to use oil !
2. I dremeled of the end of the tab (the little part that goes down at 90° angle, so it wouldn't bump into the pliers when closing.
3. You'll need a washer if you want to use the old screw. I wanted to use the screw that came with the Sidekick clip, but for some reason it didn't work. I think it has different threads.
4. Voilà !

The fit is fantastic, not only visually, but since the clip is "sunk in" at the pivot, the tension is really good. I installed it so it would hold on my wallet. It's not going anywhere. If you clip it to jeans, it might be a bit too stiff, YMMV. For me, perfect. Seriously, it holds and works better than the Sideclip, which is saying a lot, as it's my favorite LM to date. It now has a competitor…

ru Offline madfishcat

Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 09:29:32 PM
Merci pour l'aperçu détaillé du processus. Je transporte mon PST dans mon sac à dos, mais si nécessaire, j'utiliserai certainement votre expérience
Thank you for the detailed overview of the process. I carry my PST in my backpack, but if necessary, I will definitely use your experience

Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 10:18:44 PM
En français, que je manie un peu plus facilement que l'anglais.
A savoir, si vous utilisez une mèche HSS, elle sera vite… HS.   ::)
J'ai perdu deux mèches pour faire le trou ; faut dire que je n'ai ni perceuse à colonne, ni mèches pro au carbure (bien plus chères et fragiles, ça casse comme du verre au moindre geste un tant soit peu latéral… J'ai failli abandonner avant qu'on ne me conseil l'utilisation d'une mèche pour verre. Attention, elle aussi est en carbure ! Juste moins cher que les vraies, qui sont pour les pros.
Bon, c'est sûr que dans le sac, y'a moins besoin finalement.

In english : USE carbide drills !!!!!!! Or your collection of 3mm HSS drills will all go to the bin.

ru Offline madfishcat

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 05:04:48 PM
Vous pouvez utiliser l'électrolyse pour brûler la couche supérieure de métal, elle deviendra poreuse et pourra être facilement enlevée par n'importe quelle perceuse.
You can use electrolysis to burn through the top layer of metal, it will become porous and can be easily taken by any drill

Glass drills are quite easy to drill into any metal, even a HSS (except for titanium, titanium moves like clay), the main thing is not to rush and not to press too hard

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 01:51:55 AM
Not the most difficult mod to make, but I still had to drill through that pretty tough handle ! I also had to dremel part of the little tab that got in the way of the pliers. I had seen someone on youtube do something similar, but he just cut of the tab entirely, and so his clip swirled around with now way to stop it. Mine is nice and secure, no jiggling and it is, for now at least, really solid.

I now have a PST2 with a Sidekick clip, or a Sideclip with scissors, file and a combo blade. Should I call it the PST2.5 ? The Sideclip2 ? Sure, it doesn't have the perfect beauty, solid feel and class of the Sideclip, and it seems less streamlined than the PST, but, all in awl (which it doesn't have), I like it quite a bit.

Only problem is the different type of lettering on the presentation side…

I am glad you found a clip solution that works for y  :tu:  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD