Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Darts. Lobbers of arrows at innocent bystanders and boards.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Anyone else partake in this pastime?  I will admit I got dragged into this pit by a friend a few months ago.  Many, many years ago I played a bit in a workplace lunchtime league but never to any great skill or success.  Fast forward some 30 years and I've now got my own board, oche and too many sets of darts to pick from.  :whistle:  I have thrown precisely one 180 in my life.  :D

* PXL_20240229_172649520.jpg (Filesize: 184.3 KB)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Yeah I might have a few sets of darts and a board out in the wash house.   :whistle:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Got a dartboard in the basement, but haven't used it much (besides the cheap darts it came with don't' fly straight, and just plain suck).

Keep wanting to buy some of the darts Buck made/marketed many years ago, but figure I'll spring for something more common. Local business that sells things like jukeboxes and pool tables also carries dartboards and supplies, so I think I'll check and see waht they have. What works well, but doesn't break the bank?

us Offline AzteCypher

Used to play a lot more when I was younger.  Mom even got me a cabinet to store the board and darts in.  I wasn't very good at it but I enjoyed it. 
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Got a dartboard in the basement, but haven't used it much (besides the cheap darts it came with don't' fly straight, and just plain suck).

Keep wanting to buy some of the darts Buck made/marketed many years ago, but figure I'll spring for something more common. Local business that sells things like jukeboxes and pool tables also carries dartboards and supplies, so I think I'll check and see waht they have. What works well, but doesn't break the bank?

So the general consensus is that tungsten is the material of choice for your barrels and a weight of around 24g (18g is super light, 27g is heavy and 30g+ is super heavy).  Brass barrels are cheaper but also thicker, so harder to "stack" like you see in my above photo, and are less likely to be spot on weight matched across all three darts.  I can't speak to local pricing but here I can buy brass darts for about £10 and a basic, serviceable set of tungsten darts can start at around £20.

As to what shape I'm afraid it all depends on you and how you throw them.  Some people like very grippy (I don't), some people love pencil thin darts (I prefer shorter, fatter). There's a reason there are so many to pick from and not even the pros even remotely agree.  :shrug:

Consistency of throw mostly comes from a consistent and stable stance.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 01:16:10 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%