Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman survey results

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Leatherman survey results
on: April 05, 2024, 08:19:55 PM
Seems a survey was conducted on Leatherman owners to see how they carry their tools. This is from r/Leatherman

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman survey results
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 09:26:10 PM
Team pocket clip!   :woohoo:

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 10:15:57 PM
Probably be the same for MTo members.  If you could get that many responses, anyway.  Might be interesting to poll the inmates here.  Best wishes.  G
 :popcorn:

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 11:03:40 PM
I received the result survey as well. My question was how 9%  carried OTHER ???

I own multiple LM MTs, received the results but never a survey, and approximately 10,000  :think:

The three least expensive MTs have pocket clips, REV, WINGMAN and SIDEKICK.

The SkeleTool too!, The Bond is drilled for one, but a clip is an accessory just as it has been for the WAVE, Charge and Surge.

This indicates that LM needs to bundle clips with models able to be fitted with one by LM

The 9% OTHER, indicated this survey was not actually accurate.   900 respondents do not know how they carry, pocket, truck console, tool box, camp kitchen box, kitchen junk drawer, on the work bench, etc. That catagory would include 70% of my LM MTs😉
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 11:57:34 PM
I guess the other 2 percent did  not answer.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 12:10:14 AM
The results were in whole numbers.  I imagine anything missing is due to rounding off/truncating the fractions.  It would have been interesting to see what the 'other' carries were, I think.  Looper probably mentioned most of the more obvious answers.  It is very likely that many people do more than one carry method.  One on a pocket clip.  One in the tools.  Maybe one in the truck.  Best wishes.  G
 :hatsoff:

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 08:13:37 AM
I can imagine that “Other” may include “I have one in a glove box in my car.” At least one Vnox multitool sits in my car this way to make sure it is ready when needed ;)

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 09:42:28 AM
Interesting. I'm in the minority as it seems. I don't like carrying a multitool clipped into my front pockets. It restricts my movements. It's uncomfortable to me.

I use sheaths on the belt or a pocket caddy in the back pocket.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 09:50:47 AM
I use 99% of time to carry my pliers based MTs on sheat and specifically in my modded Gerber CD/DF sheat in horizontally.

Only Tools Matters

Offline Ukleathermanfan

Reply #9 on: April 06, 2024, 10:07:44 AM
In my pocket.

Like normal people :whistle: :rofl:

fr Offline FrenchEOD

Reply #10 on: April 06, 2024, 11:28:31 AM
 :hatsoff:

if you ride like lightning you're gonna crash like thunder

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #11 on: April 06, 2024, 02:26:09 PM
They didn't ask me, and I'm an Insider.

I like a sheath, my pockets have other stuff.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #12 on: April 06, 2024, 03:36:51 PM
Weirdly, depends which tool for me.

With an Arc, P2, or P4, I just drop it in the front pocket of my jeans with my keys.

Rebar, Bond, or Crunch, same pocket, but in a sheath.

Just feels right that way.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2024, 04:03:57 PM
I carry with a sheath 5 days a week for work but if I am not at work I either pocket carry or use a pocket clip I'd the tool has one  :cheers:

I would still see sheath carry to be what more people do or at least be closer to half :dunno:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #14 on: April 06, 2024, 06:44:23 PM
They didn't ask me, and I'm an Insider.

I like a sheath, my pockets have other stuff.

See,  that is my point!  I think this is false survey, 10,000 replies and not from trusting customers or loyal members of the brand.   False news, made up statistics.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2024, 07:52:12 PM
I received the result survey as well. My question was how 9%  carried OTHER ???
This is what we have staff for, dear boy. I cannot imagine how they forgot to include this in the options!
As a Swiss Army Knight, my squire carries all the extraneous accoutrements, including a range of Leatherman MTs, for those occasions for which I am required to demonstrate the SAK Superiority, but for which I do not care to sully my own hands.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 06, 2024, 11:32:39 PM
See,  that is my point!  I think this is false survey, 10,000 replies and not from trusting customers or loyal members of the brand.   False news, made up statistics.

Seems like a stretch.

Depends why they did the survey, do they actually want to know how people carry their stuff (they already have their own sales statistics for pocket clip models, sheaths, etc)

If it's just a content-generator survey, there's (valid?) reasons to reach out to your more distant customers for their interaction (whether you actually care how they answer, you're putting your name in their mind), not the ones that are already checking your website every day. They're already hooked, you invest your efforts in reaching the fish who are not leaping into your boat - remind them your name exists, etc etc.

Having said that...it doesn't actually say anywhere that it was a survey by leatherman. No logos, it uses the generic term "multitool" - so perhaps Leatherman_Official is just reposting something swiped from somewhere else.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 11:44:56 PM by Sea Monster »

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #17 on: April 07, 2024, 02:33:21 AM
When I carry an MT, it rides in the little vertical pocket on my 5.11 Taclite Pro pants.  Its just right.  Takes up no pocket space and no space on the belt.

:salute:

us Offline Craig_S

Reply #18 on: April 07, 2024, 04:09:11 AM
I guess some of us carrying a pst in a sheath for 25 years doesn't carry any more weight than some hippie buying a wingman 3 weeks ago and carrying it with a pocket clip twice.  :facepalm:

Leatherman, keep answering your own questions so you can produce what you want, retire what you want, and not improve things that us owners and collectors do in our garages every day.

Someday that great company will be gone because it does the adult version of covering its ears and yelling.

Craig
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 05:06:08 AM by Craig_S »
PST edc 1998-Present
PST, Crunch, Surge, Wave, Rebar, Original ST, Style PS, ST300, Free T2, Curl, Mini Tool, Kick, Juice XE6

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #19 on: April 07, 2024, 03:45:32 PM
Funny that they got around 9000 votes somewhere except on reddit or then they posted multiple places and just combined all votes, other MTs included since not specifically mentioned Leatherman as in picture shows

Only Tools Matters

ru Offline madfishcat

Reply #20 on: April 07, 2024, 05:05:55 PM
in the bag, but no problem hanging the tool on the belt at any time

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 07, 2024, 05:25:37 PM
Sheath carry only for me.

The way things are going LM will probably use this to justify discontinuing sheaths being included with their tools.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #22 on: April 07, 2024, 07:11:03 PM
 :iagree: 

Costco has done something similar.  Mixed nuts used to be sold in a nice, plastic container with lid.  They acted like they were doing us a favor by replacing the container with what is basically a zip lock bag which is not nearly as usable for the consumer.  Costco also sells collagen powder, and thought it would be an excellent idea to stop including the $0.05 plastic scoop that used to come with it.  All of this is promoted as benefitting the consumer's benefit, when its really done to save $0.05 per unit.

Watch for this from Leatherman: "New and Improved:  you asked for it and we answered.  A Wave+ without the pesky sheath!"

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: April 07, 2024, 07:17:11 PM
:iagree:  (Image removed from quote.)

Costco has done something similar.  Mixed nuts used to be sold in a nice, plastic container with lid.  They acted like they were doing us a favor by replacing the container with what is basically a zip lock bag which is not nearly as usable for the consumer.  Costco also sells collagen powder, and thought it would be an excellent idea to stop including the $0.05 plastic scoop that used to come with it.  All of this is promoted as benefitting the consumer's benefit, when its really done to save $0.05 per unit.

Watch for this from Leatherman: "New and Improved:  you asked for it and we answered.  A Wave+ without the pesky sheath!"

:iagree:  :facepalm: :rofl:
They don't like it up 'em!

Offline the-accumulator

Reply #24 on: April 09, 2024, 03:32:14 AM
I love pocket clips and use one everyday; that's how I carry my BUCK single blade flipper.  My EDC MT is a fully accessorized SURGE in a sheath over my right hip. But, Leatherman doesn't offer a sheath that meets my needs. I use a SKINTH PLUS:

20230313_204551.jpg
* 20230313_204551.jpg (Filesize: 193.45 KB)

20230313_204855.jpg
* 20230313_204855.jpg (Filesize: 146.71 KB)

Lately I've had a CORE deep in my front pocket. Sometimes I need one MT to turn the screw and another to grip the nut. And the extra weight keeps me from blowing away on windy days! T-A

us Offline Craig_S

Reply #25 on: April 09, 2024, 03:40:29 PM
. But, Leatherman doesn't offer a sheath that meets my needs. I use a SKINTH PLUS:

Now THAT'S a sheath!!!!  :o

Never heard of it before but I will surely check it out. Everyone knows how much I EDC on a daily basis, but with that I could carry MORE and that's awesome!  :rofl:

Craig
PST edc 1998-Present
PST, Crunch, Surge, Wave, Rebar, Original ST, Style PS, ST300, Free T2, Curl, Mini Tool, Kick, Juice XE6

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #26 on: April 09, 2024, 05:40:55 PM
You DEFINITELY need to check out Skinth. The best in the world, IMHO.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2024, 06:18:43 PM
I guess some of us carrying a pst in a sheath for 25 years doesn't carry any more weight than some hippie buying a wingman 3 weeks ago and carrying it with a pocket clip twice.  :facepalm:

From a purely business standpoint, I think it's wise to put more more weight on what hippies are buying today rather than what a Leatherman user purchased 25 years ago (and continues to use).  They need to continually sell tools to survive, and the market changes over time.

That said, I think everyone is putting too much concern over this poll.  I'm fairly certain they did it just to make people think/talk about Leatherman.  If they really wanted to know what people want more, big businesses like Leatherman do far more detailed and accurate market research than simple social media polls.

Finally, I just want to add - Team Pocket Clip wins!!!  Suck it, losers!   :rofl:

us Offline Craig_S

Reply #28 on: April 09, 2024, 07:48:43 PM
I continue to purchase new Leathermans now that you crazy people turned me into a collector. So me carrying my pst in a sheath for 25 years makes me want to buy LM's that come with one too. The hippies are going to be one and done.

Craig
PST edc 1998-Present

us Offline Craig_S

Reply #29 on: April 09, 2024, 07:49:20 PM
You DEFINITELY need to check out Skinth. The best in the world, IMHO.
The Catch All is enormous. I love it!

Craig
PST edc 1998-Present

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%