Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP600 Bladeless - Can’t find Gerber Tool Kit

us Offline ChargePlusTTiRules!

• Just say NO to “Made in China”!
Hey guys,
This is my very first post - just joined today! I need your advice/help. I just got a Gerber MP600 BLADELESS (see backstory below).
MY ISSUE: I really need a Gerber Tool Kit with the adapter that goes over the Phillips Screwdriver to insert different bits - preferably the larger one with black oxide bits, but the smaller nickel/silver one is also ok.
MY PROBLEM: I CANNOT FIND THEM FOR SALE as an individual bit/tool kit from Gerber, Amazon, or anywhere else.
QUESTION #1: Does anyone know where to buy these Gerber Tool Kits (new)?  :think:
QUESTION #2: Does anyone know an alternative bit kit brand I could buy that has an adapter compatible with the Gerber MP600 Phillips Screwdriver size?  :think:

BACKSTORY: I would prefer to just use my Leatherman Charge Plus TTi that I’ve been using for many years because I love the quality and performance of it; HOWEVER, I moved with my family from the USA to Singapore about 3 years ago, and they have EXTREMELY STRICT knife laws (as well as other laws in general), and astonishingly severe punishments (:twak:) for breaking said laws; THEREFORE, I need a BLADELESS multi-tool I can take out of house to avoid getting thrown into jail!!  :police:  :ahhh:
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP! :salute: 
IMG_1200.jpg
* IMG_1200.jpg (Filesize: 18.34 KB)

IMG_1201.jpg
* IMG_1201.jpg (Filesize: 19.78 KB)

IMG_1202.jpg
* IMG_1202.jpg (Filesize: 21.86 KB)
🛠️ChargePlusTTiRules!😎👍🛠️

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Gerber MP600 Bladeless - Can’t find Gerber Tool Kit
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 01:11:21 PM
Welcome aboard!  I wonder if you could mod a SOG adapter to work?  It's not very thick.
Barry

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 01:11:47 PM
Here in Finland Lamnia sells those kits (also delivers outside Finland)
https://www.lamnia.com/fi/p/33096/tyokalut/gerber-tool-kit-45200

Try look throught google Gerber G45200 and you find right parts hopefully near you

Only Tools Matters

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 01:12:23 PM
And welcome aboard

Only Tools Matters

Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 01:16:58 PM
Wow - so fast! Thanks for those suggestions Barry and Antti -I will check them out! :tu:

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 01:27:10 PM
Wow - so fast! Thanks for those suggestions Barry and Antti -I will check them out! :tu:

glad to help  :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 03:03:44 AM
 :hatsoff:
Barry

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 06:51:27 AM
I found this lowest price kit. https://www.delicateweapon.com/gerber-g45200-tool-kit-less-expensive/
Also available at smoky mountain knife works and at knifeworks.com and others but at around $20 U.S. or more.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024, 12:25:30 AM
Welcome to MT.O! Here's another option for the kit

https://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-plier-tool-kit-22-45200.htm

Most kits with a 1/8" square hole, even Leatherman's Removable Bit Driver will work; most chinese made mt's with bit kit have them such as Ganzo.

I just saw that you moved to Singapore; check also Taobao, Aliexpress or others not only for the kit, but also look for a removable scalpel blade holder for a Wave which substitutes the blades for it; you'll need two as you'll also need to replace the serrated edge one. That way, you can carry a bladeless Charge and have a bladed one at home.

Will it be OK to have the saw blade? If not, your best option then is the MP600.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 12:39:17 AM by Juan el Boricua »

Reply #9 on: April 12, 2024, 09:41:32 AM
Hi Alan and Juan,
Thanks so much for taking the time to give me these great options and resources - very cool of you both! :2tu:

Juan, that was especially helpful that you mentioned the size of the square hole (1/8") on the other side of the 1/4" hex bit, because this is the information I have been searching for so I can find something compatible.  Every time when I saw something online, it only mentioned a "square hole" on one side, but not the exact size, so thanks!

I'll check-out the links and options both of you guys sent.  :salute:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 12:23:32 PM
Glad to help; good luck!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 12, 2024, 02:14:32 PM
Hi Alan and Juan,
Thanks so much for taking the time to give me these great options and resources - very cool of you both! :2tu:

Juan, that was especially helpful that you mentioned the size of the square hole (1/8") on the other side of the 1/4" hex bit, because this is the information I have been searching for so I can find something compatible.  Every time when I saw something online, it only mentioned a "square hole" on one side, but not the exact size, so thanks!

I'll check-out the links and options both of you guys sent.  :salute:

Welcome and this is a great place to be  :2tu:  :drink:
They don't like it up 'em!

Reply #12 on: April 29, 2024, 03:55:48 PM
Hi Guys,
Just an update on the Gerber Tool Kit (Item Number 45200) for my Gerber MP600 (Bladeless).  Sorry in advance, the notes below are quite long, but I wanted to give plenty of details in case anyone else has the same issues I did in the future.  If you don't have any issues needing/finding/using the Gerber Tool Kit 45200, then do yourself a favor and read no further!  :facepalm:

I was finally able to find and purchase the Gerber Tool Kit 45200  :tu:!  I could only find 1 local retailer that still had them, and I bought the last 2 they had (a 2nd one for my son's MP600 Bladeless).  Anyway, just in case anyone is ever having the same problem finding this Gerber Tool Kit, and they want to find something that could be used as an alternative, I carefully measured the dimensions of the Bit Adapter included in the Gerber Tool Kit, which I will list below. 

NOTE FYI: It was hard to get extremely precise measurements, so I just did the best I could. :think: Although I think the measurements are accurate, I would still (slightly) consider them to be "approximations".   When I was trying to measure the Bit Adapter down to the 16th of an inch and in decimals of a centimeter, sometimes it was hard to tell the EXACT measurement.

Gerber Tool Kit 45200
Includes: 9 Screwdriver Bits and 1 Bit Adapter + Rubber bit holder + Nylon Belt Sheath

Here are the Gerber Bit Adapter (approximate) Dimensions:
Length: 1-¼ Inch (3.2 cm)
Full width: 7/16 inch (1.1cm)
Size of Hex opening on one end: ¼ inch (.63 cm) [for standard hex bits]
Size of Square opening on the other end: 3/16 inch (.5 cm)

A few Additional Notes:
The only thing you really need from Gerber is the Bit Adapter that fits over the Philips Screwdriver Tool, which is already on your MP600.  This is because the screwdriver bits are standard 1/4-inch bits you could buy at any hardware store (and you could probably find better quality, hardened steel bits anyway as well as other bit types you might need, such as Torx bits). THE PART THAT IS TRICKY IS FINDING AN ADAPTER THAT HAS THE CORRECT SIZE OF (FEMALE) SQUARE HOLE OPENING that will fit snuggly over the square sides of your Philips Screwdriver Tool.  The other side of the adapter, with the (female) hex hole opening, is for standard 1/4-inch bits, so that side is common on many different adapters.

As others recommended in this thread, IT IS POSSIBLE to use the "Leatherman Removable Bit Driver" on the Gerber MP600's Philips Screwdriver Tool, although it does not fit quite as well and will 'wobble' a bit more than the actual Gerber Adapter/Bit Driver.  Also Note: This Leatherman Removable Bit Driver is designed for the Leatherman Screwdriver Bits, WHICH ARE LONGER, than standard 1/4" bits.  Therefore, although the Leatherman Removable Bit Driver can fit standard 1/4-inch screwdriver bits, they will fit deeper into the hex opening and might need your MP600 pliers to remove them.

Another issue: I don't know if others will have this problem, but the 2nd time I tried to use my ("Made in China") Gerber Tool Kit 45200 Adapter, the magnet in the middle of the adapter got pulled out by the hex bit!  :rant:  It seems that it was barely held in there with a slight amount of glue.  This magnet is important because it helps keep the Bit Adapter stuck to the Philips Tool on your MP600 AND it helps hold the 1/4 hex bit in place.  It is in the middle of the adapter, so it holds everything together on both sides.  You could still use the adapter without the magnet, but it would be tedious because everything would keep falling off/apart as you try to work.  :-\  I was able to Super-Glue my magnet back inside, BUT it was extremely difficult :poh: because of the fast drying, messy nature of Super Glue AND because the magnet keeps sticking all different ways to the top and side of the adapter when you try to slide it into the hex opening (it has to go in the hex side - not square side).  I really tried to do it carefully with the end of another bit and toothpicks, but finally had to just force it in with my fingers and it got Super Glue everywhere! :doh: (still wearing off of 4 of my fingers!).  Hopefully, you guys know a better way to do this! Super Glue is hard enough to work with, but when you are trying to apply it to a tiny magnet that sticks to everything and quickly but neatly and precisely insert it into a small hole - not easy!  My wife said, "You should have let me do it, my fine motor skills are better than yours!" :dunno: So far, the magnet is staying in place when I use it now.

Anyway, I hope this information above is helpful to someone else! :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32