Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pichi Designs Kootenay

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Pichi Designs Kootenay
on: April 17, 2024, 02:23:57 AM
There are a lot of great things that come out of Canada: ice hockey, maple syrup, and poutine for example. Evidently Canada has lots of small companies who are looking to make a change in the world. One such company that's grabbed my attention is Pichi Designs. They've been established for 10 years now, previously focusing on designing and manufacturing for the military and some commercial companies. They make several incredible products which I'm going to be covering, the first being the Kootenay.

The Kootenay Carabiner was designed to be the perfect blend of function and form. Aimed at EDC enthusiasts, preppers, and outdoor enthusiasts who require a strong carabineer for a variety of situations. I've been using carabineers for decades for a variety of tasks, mainly to carry my keys. The Bison Designs carbon fiber carabineer has been my go to for over a decade, and it's still going strong. I've decided to give it a much needed break and check out the Kootenay to see what is all about.

The Kootenay features stone tumbled titanium for strength and weight reduction. Titanium seems to be all the buzz, regardless of what decade we're in. It's popular because it has strength like steel but lightweight like aluminum. The Kootenay is 3.16 inches in length, 1.42 inches wide, and comes in at a mere 30g. What makes this carabineer unique is it's split-compartment. I'm used to the regular carabiner shape, and this design is radically different. This mountain silhouette shape houses the double-zone safety design which prevents items from moving around like a standard carabineer. This split compartment is cool because it allows whatever I put in the bottom zone to stay there and not move to the top. The gate on the Kootenay is just as original as the design, not relying on previous designs. The whole package is very different and very well thought out.

The small-ish top gate can be tricky getting on a belt loop. But I'm super used to a regular carabineer, and getting used to the way this operates and clips. If your looking to find another way to carry the Kootenay it has a pocket clip. A pocket clip on a carabineer? Absolutely! Works really good too, promotional photos shows it clipped with the keys facing outward. But I much prefer using the clip in a traditional way and keep my keys in my pocket.

The Kootenay is a one of a kind carabineer that merges modern material and design with utility. The whole thing screams different, and it has gathered some attention while wearing it. The folks at Pichi have really created something that's functionally beautiful. If your looking for a new carabineer and want something completely non-traditional check out the Kootenay.

https://pichi.ca/collections/edc-items?ref=4818961

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 12:23:13 AM by David Bowen »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Pichi Designs Kootenay
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 06:18:56 AM
That looks so much better than other modern carabiners that try to make them like multi-tools. A one-piece double-function gate and a pocket clip. Nice!
I'm used to regular ones, and with the gate this one has, I'd have to add stuff by sliding them down the back instead of the gate side. But the gate looks easier to open, with the back half being able to be used like a handle to open the carabiner. It looks really nice, I like the color, the design, the angles.
Does it have a weigh-bearing rating?

I'm looking forward to reviews of other items from them. :tu:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 06:31:09 AM by ReamerPunch »

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Pichi Designs Kootenay
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 10:00:10 PM
They tested it for over 50lbs but don't recommend it for anything like climbing

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk