Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you carry a supplemental Sak along with another knife?

Poll

Do you carry a Sak along with another brand knife?

Yes, its 58mm
15 (31.9%)
Yes, its 74 or 84mm
2 (4.3%)
Yes, its 91 or 93mm
11 (23.4%)
No I carry a SAK with my SAK(what sizes?)
13 (27.7%)
No, I only carry one SAK (what model?)
6 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

us Offline Enginears

I have been toying with the idea of trying a 58 mm to get a SD, opener, scissors to go along with my single blade and traditional knives. Whats your setup?

us Offline charlie fox

Re: Do you carry a supplemental Sak along with another knife?
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 09:01:52 PM
Since I'm not able to vote multiple times, I'll just type it out; my usual daily carry consists of a "big knife" and a "tool knife". The "big knife" is for large jobs or something that needs to be cut in a hurry, so it's usually some flavor of 3-4" one hand deployable locking folder (currently a Kershaw Emerson CQC6K). My "tool knife" has increasingly become either a Classic SD (when wearing a suit), an Alox Cadet or Compact (if I feel I need scissors) or my Fieldmaster when camping. So my answer to the poll is "yes" :cheers:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 09:12:14 PM
    Same answer as the last several decades.  I put a 108mm GAK in my pocket.  Pretty much every day.  I don't carry another knife.  Why do I even own anything else?  That's a legit question.  I guess I just like to buy things. 
     Challenges have been an exception.  Even when I could just carry a 58mm alone, I made out okay.  I did keep an Opinel in my coat pocket while it was still cold here.  I used to carry a large stockman of some sort or other when I was still in school and shortly afterward.  I never carried two knives.  Still don't.
      Great poll.  Should be a lot of fun.  Best wishes.  G
 :D

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 09:12:57 PM
Yep!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 09:14:13 PM
I generally carry an Explorer Plus, along with a folding knife for quick deployment.  Something like this:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 09:15:40 PM
Yep!!

What knife are we looking at there, your Lordship?   :pok:

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 09:19:04 PM
Classic or Mini Champ in keyring. Bantam or Cadet as pocket knife. All alox. Then a one hand opener locking single blade folder, medium or full size.
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 09:19:07 PM
What knife are we looking at there, your Lordship?   :pok:
Spyderco Autonomy 2 and a Pioneer X modded to just the opener layer and scissors.  The can opener modded to resemble the flat blade on a Technician.

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 09:32:30 PM
Swiss Champ XLT with Minichamp Alox.

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 09:38:13 PM
I have been toying with the idea of trying a 58 mm to get a SD, opener, scissors to go along with my single blade and traditional knives. Whats your setup?

I ALWAYS have my Stayglow, 58mm classic SD on my keyring .

I use the scissors a lot.

I also carry a Sportsman , Spartan or a recruit. by carrying the Classic SD I dont need scissors in my main SAK. That allows me to carry a thinner 2 layer SAK in my pocket . I have done this for YEARS
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 10:12:19 PM
For almost 12 years, my EDC has been an alox classic on the keys and a pioneer in the pocket. Every so often, if I think I'll be doing a task where the OHO would be helpful, I'll clip a benchmade mini-grip to the pocket.  Its been probably a year since I've even touched it, though.

Now, doing chores around the property, I'll often have a mora on the belt and maybe a hatchet, axe or bill hook (plus all manner of power tools) as the situation demands.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Offline Anthony R

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 10:57:25 PM
My literal “EDC” is the Rambler I keep on my car keys. This covers the necessary basics and frees me up to carry a variety of other stuff depending on the day…Leatherman, Spyderco, Cold Steel, bigger SAK, etc.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2024, 11:14:08 PM
I've always got a MiniChamp on me to go with whatever else is in my pockets, usually a large Stockman knife.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 11:27:06 PM
Yep!!

(Image removed from quote.)

I like that bladeless to go along with a single blade, very useful and sleek.

Same answer as the last several decades.  I put a 108mm GAK in my pocket.  Pretty much every day.  I don't carry another knife.  Why do I even own anything else?  That's a legit question.  I guess I just like to buy things. 
     Challenges have been an exception.  Even when I could just carry a 58mm alone, I made out okay.  I did keep an Opinel in my coat pocket while it was still cold here.  I used to carry a large stockman of some sort or other when I was still in school and shortly afterward.  I never carried two knives.  Still don't.
      Great poll.  Should be a lot of fun.  Best wishes.  G
 :D
I love the simplicity of that G. Maybe someday I will settle on “the one” and just roll with it. As for now I am usually grabbing 1-3 knives and tools to have on me. With summer coming up though, I wont have the pocket space and will need to taper down. The last week I have been really liking carrying my Sowbelly stockman. It is heavier than my SAKs, so it has been a good mix up.

The 58 I am considering is a rambler, or getting a minichamp and scaling it down to something like crackout just posted in the mods sections.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 11:53:51 PM
Minichamp with an Opinel or whatever knife or multitool I am carrying for the day.  If my keys are with me, so is the Minichamp  :D
Barry

se Offline Swede-nox

Reply #15 on: April 18, 2024, 01:20:46 AM
Yes,I do! I carry my Evo grip S18 in my belt and it's supplemented with my Climber in my right pocket, both are in separate pouches. Then, depending on which back-packor bag I bring along, thre will be a Swiss card, Swiss tool or another knife between 58 and 111 mm. There is anlways a Classic on my car key and a Swiss card in the car.

Skärmbild (2689).jpg
* Skärmbild (2689).jpg (Filesize: 150.9 KB)
"We take care of your knife"

Offline LeDe

Reply #16 on: April 18, 2024, 01:28:13 AM
Hello,

For me this is more what do I carry with my SAK. I ALWAYS have either a Rambler or a Rally ( oR even a Jetsetter when taking a plane).
Then most probably a medium sized SAK and/ or if the location allows a serrated Spyderco Salt of some sort.

Best,

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 18, 2024, 03:02:43 AM
I have a Rambler on my key ring.  I never use the knife blade or tweezers (I prefer sliver grippers), but I get regular use out of the scissors, nail file, small flat screwdriver/light pry tool, toothpick, small Phillips driver, and bottle opener.

I had an Alox Classic in that position for a while.  Size and weight were nice, but it was worth the extra weight and bulk of the Rambler to get the 58 mm combo tool and toothpick.

I very briefly tried an Alox Minichamp, but it was heavier on the key ring than I liked, and had a lot of tools that I didn’t really use.

I considered the Jetsetter, but would miss the nail file and small flat screwdriver.

I do recommend setting yourself up with a quick way to take the 58 mm off the key ring.  I don’t necessarily take it off every time I use it, but it’s nice to have the option, and also convenient to be able to go bladeless easily if needed.  Credit to Echotech for turning me on to these TEC Python clips; they are kind of expensive for what they are, but are small, lightweight, and good quality.

I also have an Alox Bantam in my wallet.  Mostly, it gives me a can opener and a larger backup blade.  And before I swapped the Classic out for the Rambler on my key ring, it was sometimes my only purpose-designed bottle opener.  This is probably overkill for most people, though, and not really critical for me to be frank.

In addition, I’m carrying 1-2 primary knives.  One OHO clipped to my pocket.  The second one is the wildcard; it could be a challenge knife, a larger SAK, a trad, a modern folder, whatever I feel like that day.

* IMG_2321.jpg (Filesize: 141.62 KB)

Offline MrToolJunkie

Reply #18 on: April 18, 2024, 04:50:08 AM
Usually a Spirit and a Pioneer X or Electrician or Serrated Spartan.

cz Online AndyAaron

Reply #19 on: April 18, 2024, 06:57:20 AM
I have similar use cases as many others here. I have Rambler on my keys. Then, If I do not participate on any challenge I like to carry a miniChamp in my small pocket of my jeans and some other nonSAK knife (Opinel, Buck, etc.). As I work in the office this set solves all my needs.

However I usually also carry my edc bag with IDs, headphones and other things I need. There is Huntsman sitting next to Gerber Dime and Fenix flashlight.

Then I have Spiritool in my car. And if I take any jacket from my wardrobe there is usually some SAK in it, just in case (Climber or Outrider).

Oh god, when I put this down on paper, I consider myself as crazy or obsessed

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #20 on: April 18, 2024, 08:14:36 AM
For me the SAKs are my main knives. I have one or two in my pockets (Compact, Bushcrafter (mod)) and a couple
more in my backpack (Ambassador, Waiter, Forester). I have a pretty collection of larger folders but only rarely
carry one, e.g. a Spyderco Endura.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #21 on: April 18, 2024, 01:10:04 PM
Well, if I'm out of the house I always have a Rambler or a Classic SD on my keys but I carried heavy for years.  My daily carry usually consisted of a Swiss Champ or CT41 along with a pliers based tool, most often the Spirit, and a separate folding knife, which was often the Myerchin titanium rigging knife in this picture, because it is so light I don't even notice it even with the marlin spike which has proved useful at times.  Later, I found I enjoyed carrying a traditional so that sometimes replaced the modern folder.  Sometimes I carry an EDC fixed blade instead of a folder or a trad but the pliers based tool and large SAK were a constant.  I've been in several challenges this year that have caused me to reconsider carrying all of that and going light instead. I'm not giving anything up, I've just switched to bag carry instead of on my belt and I've been feeling a lot more comfortable and streamlined.  My most often used tool is the knife but occasionally I need pliers or a screwdriver so I could probably be very happy with just a Leatherman Skeletool along with whichever 58mm SAK is with my keys.  I've been thinking about it.  This month I'm doing the Rebar challenge so I'm carrying that and I've pared it with a Spyderco Tenacious.  Last month was the Opinel challenge and they are so light and sharp they were a joy to carry.  I haven't missed the Spirit and Champ at all.  They were still in my bag if I needed them but they're no longer weighing me down.

* SAK stack 2020 14.jpg (Filesize: 127.16 KB)

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 18, 2024, 02:36:23 PM
awlways carry a classic alox on my keychain and a 93mm Alox in the pocket- these days a red FX. For me the classic alox is one of the best supplemental SAKs for the keychain because it's super thin, lightweight, tough as nails and incredibly capable.

used to carry an FX and Explorer plus in the pocket with a supplemental minichamp alox on the keychain but i've since slimmed down my carry as of late...

to make room for more gadgets, minitools and flashlights  :ahhh

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 18, 2024, 03:10:51 PM
My Executive basically never leaves my keychain, unless it's for a specific challenge.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 18, 2024, 03:14:31 PM
Well, if I'm out of the house I always have a Rambler or a Classic SD on my keys but I carried heavy for years.  My daily carry usually consisted of a Swiss Champ or CT41 along with a pliers based tool, most often the Spirit, and a separate folding knife, which was often the Myerchin titanium rigging knife in this picture, because it is so light I don't even notice it even with the marlin spike which has proved useful at times.  Later, I found I enjoyed carrying a traditional so that sometimes replaced the modern folder.  Sometimes I carry an EDC fixed blade instead of a folder or a trad but the pliers based tool and large SAK were a constant.  I've been in several challenges this year that have caused me to reconsider carrying all of that and going light instead. I'm not giving anything up, I've just switched to bag carry instead of on my belt and I've been feeling a lot more comfortable and streamlined.  My most often used tool is the knife but occasionally I need pliers or a screwdriver so I could probably be very happy with just a Leatherman Skeletool along with whichever 58mm SAK is with my keys.  I've been thinking about it.  This month I'm doing the Rebar challenge so I'm carrying that and I've pared it with a Spyderco Tenacious.  Last month was the Opinel challenge and they are so light and sharp they were a joy to carry.  I haven't missed the Spirit and Champ at all.  They were still in my bag if I needed them but they're no longer weighing me down.

:like:

that Myerchin titanium rigging knife is a thing of beauty! may i ask can the blade be deployed with one hand?
 :cheers:

gb Online SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: April 18, 2024, 03:47:25 PM
Very good question (and interesting responses)

Being in the UK where having anything pointy is cause for a public enquiry (and, or hysteria) I usually only carry one of the usual Alox suspects when not at work (Px, Fx or Cadet etc.)

If out for the evening (locally) probably an Alox Bantam or Minichamp. If I'm venturing into the Big Smoke probably a Cellidor Executive or Classic as, if I find myself needing to "lose it" (in a nearby hidey-hole for collection later) it's not too expensive to replace/forget  ::)

As for work days -Surge & lock knife on my Tac-Vest and a Supervisor XT in the top-box on the steel horse.

https://medtree.co.uk/statgear-supervisor-xt-auto-escape-tool
Fixed and locking blades are just too difficult to carry/explain/justify here  :rant:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 06:36:46 PM by SurgeUk »
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 18, 2024, 06:14:32 PM
that Myerchin titanium rigging knife is a thing of beauty! may i ask can the blade be deployed with one hand?
Well, I’m not Alan but I do have one of those Myerchins, and the answer is yes, it can opened with one hand.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #27 on: April 18, 2024, 09:07:07 PM
Yes.  Nate is correct.  The shackle key cut out on the Myerchin blades is a good thumb hole once you get used to the shape.  Here's another shot of my second generation plain edge and my first gen partially serrated with a fixed blade version.  A word of caution, however, is if you're looking for a used Myerchin rigging knife they do not extend any warranty coverage if you're not the original owner.  So, if you buy it on E-Bay, and it breaks, you'll just have to buy another one.

* P1110582.jpg (Filesize: 148.16 KB)

* P1110978.jpg (Filesize: 132.05 KB)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 09:23:38 PM by Alan K. »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #28 on: April 18, 2024, 09:21:11 PM
If anyone is still interested in what to carry with a SAK, one of the best combos I ever carried was a Victorinox Mountaineer paired with a Leatherman Sidekick.  The Mountaineer has a decent file / metal saw, and scissors, while the Sidekick has a pretty good one hand opening knife blade and a wood saw.  Not a lot of redundancy or wasted space there. :cheers:

* P1110441.jpg (Filesize: 135.14 KB)

gb Online SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #29 on: April 18, 2024, 09:49:51 PM
If anyone is still interested in what to carry with a SAK, one of the best combos I ever carried was a Victorinox Mountaineer paired with a Leatherman Sidekick.  The Mountaineer has a decent file / metal saw, and scissors, while the Sidekick has a pretty good one hand opening knife blade and a wood saw.  Not a lot of redundancy or wasted space there. :cheers:

I would love to carry a Sidekick (or Wingman) but alas - UK+EDC = Non starter (mostly)  ::)
They don't like it up 'em!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD