Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which EDC item will you NEVER get?

AHB · 20 · 813

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
on: April 26, 2024, 02:24:02 PM
The pic says it all..  :D :D

* IMG_5486.jpg (Filesize: 111.51 KB)

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Re: Which EDC item will you NEVER get?
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 03:07:22 PM
Ha! I’m a teacher and have used that meme for grades and such. Love it.

I never ended up getting a tread as it’s not practical for me. But I also didn’t get a Free P2 or P4 because the tool sets just didn’t have what I needed for the price when I could get a Swisstool. The ARC interests me just a tad too expensive. There’s several MTs I probably won’t ever own for those same reasons.

That said, I do know one thing I’ll probably never get is one of those fancy stand alone pry bars.  That would never get used by me.

To each their own.

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 04:46:46 PM
Much of the EDC stuff we carry is more for feeling good than doing good.  Pry bars (as noted by GB), paracord bracelets, fire starting kits, redundant knives, SAKs and MTs, and so on.  I've carried some of this stuff too, and am not looking down on the practice of feeling good.  Rather, its quite a good thing to experience.  What gripes me just a little is when people pretend that they need a paracord bracelet or that it has any utility.

I follow a thread on a blade forum that will remain nameless, where people including myself post pics of their EDC knives.  Or alleged EDC knifes.  I would say that about 83% of the pics are jewelry knives or art knives, that clearly have never opened an Amazon box nor peeled an apple.  They cost $700 and don't have a fingerprint on them.  Its fine of course to have these kind of toys, but we should acknowledge again that they exist for the purpose of feeling good rather than having any actual utility.

These things are binkies and blankies for grown axe men.

Same thing with paracord bracelets and extra EDC firearm magazines.  Sure, its possible that one might use these things, just as its possible that wolverines might fly out of my toilet, but so far it has not happened even once in the history of mankind.  But we feel good when we carry them, so that's what we do.  Same thing with EDC-ing 5 different blades.  Its fun and it feels good, but its sort of  ridiculous from a practical perspective.  Great Grandpappy in WWII made it through the day just fine with a beat up traditional knife and a booger-encrusted handkerchief.  No $700 Damascus blade with mammoth scales required.

:ahhh  :rofl:

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 04:53:54 PM
ANY knife or tool that costs more than $150. That's the price point that I get worried using it and/or/losing it. I've also found that, for me, there is ZERO improvement in performance, sharpness, deployment or any other standard by which one might judge such a tool. I think the best thing they say is "Look! I'm rich/gullible enough to spend multiple hundreds of my hard earned dollars on an item I'll use once and put away"  Not my cup of tea, as they say :hatsoff:

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 04:56:28 PM
That Gerber multi with the cast handles, Suspension I think it’s called  :dwts: :td:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 05:36:01 PM by Magic Bus »
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #5 on: April 26, 2024, 06:21:54 PM
Pry bars - never needed them in any capacity during my day to day job.  If I needed one, I used a proper 3ft pry bar.

Knipex pliers - the ones on my Gerber or Leatherman multi-tool will do.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2024, 06:34:54 PM
   Anyone who has taken the risk of terminal boredom to read anything I ever wrote here knows I am a minimalist.  Sort of.  I rarely carry a pen of any sort and will likely never buy a tactical pen.  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2024, 08:57:39 PM
I have a small 6 inch pry bar that I use a fair bit on projects around the house, but I see no neet to EDC it.  I also don't see the point of all the 2" pry bars that are prevalent in the EDC world.  I just don't see that they give enough leverage to be useful.

That said, I enjoy small pry bar tools like the Gerber Shard, Mullet and Artifact, but that's mostly for the other tools on them.

I don't think I'd ever EDC the Schrade NaviTool, and someone would have to put a lot of effort into convincing me to EDC any modern Schrade.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2024, 09:47:33 PM
A rechargeable flashlight.  Well, more specifically a lithium-ion rechargeable flashlight.  I've no problem with NiMH/eneloops.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 03:41:59 PM
ANY knife or tool that costs more than $150. That's the price point that I get worried using it and/or/losing it.
For me, the worry comes in at about a fifth of your quoted figure.

My answer could easily be "most of them." There was a time in recent memory that I carried so much crap that tactical pants were a necessity. I've trimmed my carry down to keys, wallet, phone, bandana, and one knife. A flashlight, pen, and lighter are added if I feel the need. Adapting a more minimal approach, after I realized I don't need a huge carry, was both refreshing and liberating.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2024, 03:45:00 PM
Keychain bit drivers. Am I carrying a bit case on my keychain too? I carry way too much stuff on my keys, but even I'm not that crazy.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #11 on: April 27, 2024, 04:45:52 PM
For me, the worry comes in at about a fifth of your quoted figure.

My answer could easily be "most of them." There was a time in recent memory that I carried so much crap that tactical pants were a necessity. I've trimmed my carry down to keys, wallet, phone, bandana, and one knife. A flashlight, pen, and lighter are added if I feel the need. Adapting a more minimal approach, after I realized I don't need a huge carry, was both refreshing and liberating.
Similar for me. When I carry my  hitch and timber pocket organizer thing I feel like I have a lead weight filled with things I may use 2 times annually. Scaling back to a bandana, knife, keys, wallet is how I roll exclusively in summer. Anything more is too much. I may have a 4 layer SAK within arms reach though because that gets used a lot.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #12 on: April 28, 2024, 02:30:32 AM
Keychain bit drivers.
A keychain tool that's a dedicated bit driver? I'd have to pass on that one, too!

I may have a 4 layer SAK within arms reach though because that gets used a lot.
Same here. I keep an Executive close at hand for those instances I need scissors, and my SAK wood saws see at least close to their fair share of use. Once they get any bulkier than blade layer, openers, wood saw, and scissors, I don't want to carry them.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #13 on: April 28, 2024, 07:43:06 PM
Probably any of the really fat pry bar style folders. Too thick to do any real good cutting. Other than that, anything considered obscenely priced.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2024, 03:42:41 PM
Much of the EDC stuff we carry is more for feeling good than doing good.
As "proud" owner of a Gerber Downrange Tomahawk I would say I have no hard limit on price or shape :P.

But I have taken the habit of not buying something as soon as it is available but wait a minimum of 2 weeks (usually longer). If it is no longer available, well then it wasn't meant to be.
I also have a hard limit on my collection size, so when something new comes, something old has to go. If I can't find anything that I want less than the new "toy", then I don't buy it.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 10:45:31 PM

These things are binkies and blankies for grown axe men.

That made me smile! :rofl: :cheers:
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline Doc

Reply #16 on: May 01, 2024, 03:50:47 AM
The $775.00 BIGiDESIGN mini bolt-action pen.
That’s gonna leave a mark.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #17 on: May 01, 2024, 01:54:07 PM
No axe with moving parts. And they're usually insanely expensive to begin with.
No sak-alike that is five times the cost of a Super Tinker with a fifth of the utility.
No utility blade holder that costs an arm and a leg.
No flashlight from a brand I've never even heard of.
No fixed blade that is not Mora or full tang.
No folding knives that are obviously "gas station" quality.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 01:55:31 PM
The $775.00 BIGiDESIGN mini bolt-action pen.

:o :ahhh
I guess I can live with one kidney. :tu:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 10:17:05 PM
No fixed blade that is not Mora or full tang.
I went a similar route. Going forth, all of my fixed blades will be carbon steel (the sort that you could sharpen with a river rock if need be...not that I can sharpen anyway) and full tang. Factory-made ones will come out of the USA. I'd be happy to give any bladesmith some business if I like his/her work and could afford it. Being able to forge myself would be nice, but that's an unattainable goal at this point.
USN 2000-2006

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%