Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First custom SAK : The Big rambler

Offline Ghost Marksman

First custom SAK : The Big rambler
on: April 27, 2024, 03:58:35 PM
Hey guys,

I've been carrying a 58mm Rambler as my EDC for quite some time now, however I found it to have two "flaws" (ironically both are due to me having rather big hands) :

I find both the blade and scissors to be a bit small and uncomfortable to use, especially the blade when needing to have a sturdy grip on the knife when cutting big items, and I find the scissors
to be genrally a bit small.

So I think of making myself a custom two layer knife with normal size blade (maybe tanto shaped) and scissors, and use the 58mm combo tool and file / screwdriver as backtools. And all of this with nice classic / red alox scales. (see pic)

But I was wondering : what SAK model should I buy as a base for that mod and what size ? ( 84 / 91 / 93 mm ? ) And if I need to source some parts ( especially Rambler parts, I dont want to dismantle mine ), is Ebay a good source ? 

91mm rambler.jpg
* 91mm rambler.jpg (Filesize: 112.62 KB)

us Offline Enginears

Re: First custom SAK : The Big rambler
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 04:37:48 PM
Hey ghost, I love the idea of a big rambler. Your tool layout looks interesting. I do believe someone on here has modded the 58 combo tool to be a 91mm back tool but I don’t remember who. I do recall them saying the hole was relocated to allow proper fit.

If you want actual Alox scales it will be a choice between the 93mm or 84mm, and unfortunately 84mm scissors are no more so significantly more hacking will be required to fit 91mm scissors in the frame.

If custom scales from another maker is good for you then the 91mm platform makes the most sense. You could buy a climber and Rambler/Rally to get those parts. Keep in mind you will have quite a lot of space around the file as it is very thin compared to the blade layer. Ebay is a great place to pickup parts saks for cheap.
Good luck and keep us posted.  :tu:

Offline Ghost Marksman

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 09:10:50 PM
Thanks for the infos ! Here are the threads I took inspiration from :

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=81022.0

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=89401.0 (I'll see if I can keep the bottler opener on the combo tool by grinding a bit, or maybe swapping the backtools)

And I just thought about something, I think I'll just keep the Climber's original scales and liners, as it may make the access to the file easier, because of the corkscrew slot.

Offline Ghost Marksman

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 07:34:55 PM

gravures.jpg
* gravures.jpg (Filesize: 19.15 KB)

Will also do some acid etching on the blade, and on the exterior liners, as I will order Ruby scales given the price of the scales I could find online. I will order the SAKs in a few weeks, after the end of the school year.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 07:00:54 PM
Great project! Keep us posted!

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 02:12:23 PM
This does look fun. I'm curious about how the bottle opener will do on the back. Will the handle get in the way? Or are you just using it for the little phillip's. Either way, cool to follow.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%