Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not a good news...

z1913 · 34 · 1438

us Offline AzteCypher

Re: Not a good news...
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 10:30:39 PM
I can't see that happening.  I think/hope they're just trying to stay relevant in other markets. 
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

Offline Anthony R

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 11:36:58 PM
As long as they don’t discontinue the bladed models, this could be a good thing. More options.  :D  I was just watching a SAK YouTuber the other day lament that her hospital job doesn’t allow pocket knives and “if only Victorinox would come out with a blade-less version so I can use it at work”. She will be happy.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 12:26:09 AM
No paywall: https://archive.fo/39R8w

Not to be too hyperbolic, but the person who argues that a SAK is a weapon is essentially anti-civilization; “you’re too dangerous to have a tool.”  I don’t think it’s a good move for Vic to lean into this framing of the SAK as a weapon as it is implicitly agreeing with the premise that a SAK is a weapon.

I can’t really say more without veering too far into the political.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 12:34:04 AM
Victorinox, the company behind the quintessentially Swiss product, is responding to tighter regulations around weapons around the world, Chief Executive Officer Carl Elsener told the Blick newspaper on Monday. Instead, it plans to add tools for cyclists and other functions to a gadget that usually also features scissors and a corkscrew.

It sounds like some Wenger tools and historic Vic ones may be making a comeback, then...
I agree that the bladeless idea may open things up to a line of thinking we'd really want people to avoid, though...

us Offline Enginears

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 01:17:23 AM
No paywall: https://archive.fo/39R8w

Not to be too hyperbolic, but the person who argues that a SAK is a weapon is essentially anti-civilization; “you’re too dangerous to have a tool.”  I don’t think it’s a good move for Vic to lean into this framing of the SAK as a weapon as it is implicitly agreeing with the premise that a SAK is a weapon.

I can’t really say more without veering too far into the political.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Making bladeless tools seems like a given, but definitely not “this section is the SAK weapons and over here are the SAK tools”

Heres to hoping they make an alox “toolbox” that is something like a bladeless 93mm swiss champ+

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 01:20:47 AM
Well, as long as they don’t phase out the bladed models, I think some more bladeless options wouldn’t be a bad thing.  As of today, I think you’re basically stuck with the Jetsetter if you want a factory model sans blade.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 01:36:05 AM
To be clear, I do not have a problem with bladeless tools in their own right.

My disagreement is more nuanced. The issue is being framed such that a SAK is a weapon, and it appears that victorinox is responding within that narrative frame. This is the quote that concerned me: “In some markets, the blade creates an image of a weapon.“

The “blade” isn’t creating the image, a narrative is being constructed (by dishonest people, imo) and that is what creates the image.

I think Vic would be better served long term to try and educate why a knife, especially a SAK, is a tool and not a weapon. And if they want to have bladeless models to meet demand, fine. Just not as an apparent capitulation to the crazies. They will never be satisfied anyway.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 02:30:04 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 07, 2024, 02:15:26 AM
The “blade” isn’t creating the image, a narrative is being constructed (by dishonest people, imo) and that is what creates the image.

I think Vic would be better served long term to try and educate why a knife, especially a SAK, is a tool and not a weapon. And if they want to have baseless models to meet demand, fine. Just not as an apparent capitulation to the crazies. They will never be satisfied anyway.
Well said.
:tu:

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2024, 04:23:08 AM
It is a sad time when an iconic tools for decades is being labeled a weapon by society.  But the sad truth is that is where we are at.  Even in the US, knives are being l restricted or banned in certain places. 

Even though I don’t like the reason, I do like the idea of having different bladeless options of SAKs. 

I currently have two SAK mods and a LM PS Style that are bladeless. If I think there will be a possibility that I have to go into a place where knives are not allowed, I will carry a bladeless tool paired with a Traditional or other knife.  This way I can leave the knife in the car and still have a tool if I go to a restricted place.

Offline LeDe

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2024, 09:33:15 AM
Hello,

I could not read the article but I have been hoping for more models I could bring on a plane on my carry-on.

I am quite surprised we are still limited to a Jesetter.

I am not even sure a medium sized SAK with a saw or even scissors would be allowed on board...
But at the very least we could do with a bigger bladeless 58mm.

As said above, hopefully, those models do not replace bladed ones though.

What would be your favourites non bladed SAK if you could design it? 58mm and/or medium sized one?

Best,

de Offline matzesu

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2024, 09:50:29 AM
As these more Tool Based SAK had much too big frames to be really usefull as an Cutting Tool, so some of us might be carry also an Only Blade Knive beside the SAK, this might be not that bad news after all,
if this means Vic will include instead much more tools, per exemple as a Bike Tool, this might end up in quite interessting new modells ^^
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent).. Swisschamp (Blue Transparent) Cybertool L (Blue Celidor (custom scales) , Huntsman (Black Celidor) , Victorinox EvoGrip S557 (Red, but sadly lost in my house somewhere) Victorinox Delemont S17 and S57 ..  , waiting for: Swiza D09 Blue

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2024, 09:04:53 PM
Nothing against bladeless SAKs. But what really bothers me is that pocket knives, no matter how small, are more and more being treated as weapons.

What should we call these then? SAK is probably the wrong name for a SAK without blade. Maybe Swiss Army Non Knife? "Victorinox SANK-line"  >:D

Ten thousand times more people die from excessive consumption of junk food than from SAKs! Will junk food be banned? But there's a billion-dollar lobby behind it. Anyway, that's off topic, sorry.

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 10:20:55 PM
I thought about you/this forum when I read this article and hoped you’d be discussing it  :salute:  :tu:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #14 on: May 07, 2024, 11:51:38 PM
I own enough SAKs for 12 lifetimes, so I'm good.  Plus, Victorinox has pretty much given up on expanding the current product line anyway.  But bladeless SAKs are not a bad thing if they pass muster in secure areas like airports and federal buildings.

:climber:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: May 08, 2024, 01:04:34 AM
A big to do about nothing    :facepalm:

Leatherman has had bladeless options for years now. No end of the world   :D

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #16 on: May 08, 2024, 02:17:55 AM
I'll buy one for my trips into the city if the tool layout makes sense.

I understand the concerns though.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 08, 2024, 03:06:58 AM
“The new versions of the tools are expected to complement, rather than replace, the classic Swiss Army Knives.”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/swiss-army-knife-maker-plans-model-without-well-known-feature.amp

au Offline Echotech

Reply #18 on: May 08, 2024, 03:12:16 AM
The way things are here in Sydney now think I’ll be getting one

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2024, 03:12:25 AM
A big to do about nothing   

In this instance, I totally agree.   :cheers:

But societal decline occurs incrementally.  One grain of sand is stolen today, and another tomorrow, and with every grain we are told its no big deal.  Its just a grain of sand. 

And then next year you wake up and the beach is gone.   Metaphorically, of course.

Those who care about protecting the things that have not yet been stolen - especially regarding our beloved toys and our sweet, sweet Freedom to use those toys - must be ever-vigilant about each disappearing grain of sand, because it all adds up.

Sometimes that comes off as paranoia.  Other times, it keeps your beach from disappearing.

:salute: 

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #20 on: May 08, 2024, 03:56:17 AM
In this instance, I totally agree.   :cheers:

But societal decline occurs incrementally.  One grain of sand is stolen today, and another tomorrow, and with every grain we are told its no big deal.  Its just a grain of sand. 

And then next year you wake up and the beach is gone.   Metaphorically, of course.

Those who care about protecting the things that have not yet been stolen - especially regarding our beloved toys and our sweet, sweet Freedom to use those toys - must be ever-vigilant about each disappearing grain of sand, because it all adds up.

Sometimes that comes off as paranoia.  Other times, it keeps your beach from disappearing.

:salute:

Well said.

Unfortunately, the slippery slope is undefeated. 

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #21 on: May 08, 2024, 05:36:09 AM
Bladeless SAKs are not a bad thing if they pass muster in secure areas like airports and federal buildings.
They don't pass muster in the Wayne County (Michigan) courthouses, though. :twak:
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline DansGearAddiction

Reply #22 on: May 08, 2024, 05:52:07 AM
I'm actually very excited about this news.

1. This will give more options for people in areas with restrictive laws, but also restrictive employers; for example, I am not allowed to carry a knife at my current job, and wasn't even allowed to use anything other than the company-issued utility blade, even when I worked doing in-the-field IT work, where a pocketable tool set would have been super handy (I would have loved to carry my CyberTool M).

2. I think the package opener tool is going to be THE key feature of these new SAKs; I'd argue that many people who carry SAKs are largely using the blade for opening up Amazon packages, cutting threads off clothes, and many of the more menial tasks that could easily be accomplished with either the scissors or the package opener.

3. While the "My First Victorinox" with the blunted tip was a good option, I think these will be an even better first option, and then let them "graduate" to a version with a knife.

4. It's possible that these tools may be TSA Safe, so they can be brought onto carry-on. The Jetsetter obviously exists, but I think the Medium sized SAKs are really where most people find joy with a SAK. I highly doubt it, but who knows.

5. Not everyone may feel the need to carry a knife, and this may give an option to those people who would still like to carry a versatile tool.

With that being said, I'm honestly a bit surprised about this (found here: https://www.iamexpat.ch/lifestyle/lifestyle-news/victorinox-developing-knife-less-swiss-army-knife-ceo-confirms):

While the Swiss Army Knife’s blade is short enough to be legal to carry in public in the United Kingdom, the brand does not want to be associated with the prevalence of knife-related crime in UK cities.

They just introduced the Evoke line, which is probably the most "tactical" thing they've introduced, besides the stuff they have provided for military contracts (ex. the bayonets). I wonder if they view that a bit differently since it isn't a "traditional"-style SAK? Who knows.

The weapon/tool debate isn't going away, and I was hoping that by introducing more of the "fashionable" SAKs, this would be their way in trying to normalize the carrying of a SAK, but I guess that isn't the case.

Regardless, I look forward to buying whatever model they end up putting out.
Desperately searching for a 2015 Alox Classic!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #23 on: May 08, 2024, 10:37:38 AM
Hehehe, I was just ahead of the curve. :D
I wonder if they were lurking in the mod squad, seeing our bladeless mods
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #24 on: May 08, 2024, 10:59:43 AM
And next stop: Toolless SAKs. Just a liner with some scales.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #25 on: May 08, 2024, 11:12:30 AM
They'll do Syph's fishscaler x 10 SAK :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #26 on: May 08, 2024, 12:53:47 PM
1) Re: planes and restricted buildings: I dont think this is actually a selling feature as the TSA, courthouses, et al will often confiscate knife less tools now, including knife less leathermen and SAKs like the jet setter. Even if I had a nice 91-93mm knife less Vic, I wouldn’t be risking it as a carry on.

2) Re: SAKs centered around other tools like the new package opener: while that may make a cool tool, it won’t solve the problem of irrational people calling a tool a weapon. It still has a sharp edge (as does the scissors, awl, saw, etc). The precedent is being set in real time that a SAK can be viewed as a weapon by people who don’t do nuance. This is why I think Vic would be better served to push back against that framing rather than kowtow to it.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 08, 2024, 04:35:51 PM
Gotta agree with you GTMB - Vic got the rhetoric very badly wrong

If course they cannot challenge and take on dumb governments with unreasonable rules and directly say
"You got it all wrong guys - SAK (blades) are tools not weapons "
That would do the corporate reputation no good ...... it's not Vic's style and the world is not heading that way!!

But they could say something along the lines of
"We are building a set of SAKs for countries/places/jurisdictions where local laws do not allow a blade to be carried"
Then it just acknowledges what is happening in some places in the world - and  ....... as a good  product development and customer service company they are responding to that need!!  (But not necessarily agreeing with the rules.  :pok:    :tu:   ;) )

Actually they maybe could even preface it with something like:
"A blade has been an essential tool for generations, and still is for many people, in many roles and situations around the world,   however........ etc etc"

That sentence even uses one of their catch phrases....
https://sakwiki.com/tiki-browse_image.php?imageId=1391

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 08, 2024, 04:44:28 PM
PS.  I think this is good news    :tu: .....  As it means Vic is diversifying and responding to current market needs/trends.

And we'll have some new toys to play with !!

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 08, 2024, 05:50:46 PM
From a sales standpoint, it makes a lot of sense.  Potential sales in Asian countries, etc.  If there is something in the toolset like the Companion model package opener, it might be worthwhile to carry.  I would expect something like the pastel city models.  Just a supplement to the normal SAK line with a handful of models with no blades.  Probably still get confiscated at the airports here.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD