Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fishing - I want to know everything about it

styx · 28 · 987

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Fishing - I want to know everything about it
on: May 09, 2024, 11:32:22 PM
Starting off - I know absolutely nothing about fishing. But I've gotten interested and want to learn as much as possible.

The beginning of all this was a video of a Dock runner which seemed like tremendous fun. So now I'm looking at lower cost, easily transportable options.

But what do you use, what tools are essential or recommended, what is the usual way of setting up in your part of the world?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Fishing - I want to know everything about it
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 12:48:19 AM
   Find someone who is fishing where you live, and ask them to tag along.  If you don't know anyone, then ask someone at a bait shop or take a stroll where others are fishing.  Fishermen are generally friendly.  Don't go buying everything in sight or try to learn from a video.  Every fisherman has some extra gear you can borrow for a trip or two.  Might cost you some sandwiches or drinks. 
    You might like it.  You might not.  Buy a fishing license, if you need one there.  If you buy a bunch of things now, chances are you will be wasting your money.  Learn first.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :tu:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 01:40:24 AM
What kind of fishing are you thinking of? I would assume sport fishing of some kind rather than say fishing for just cathing food? (Most of the latter methods are deemed too effective and thus likely banned).

So if we narrow it down to some kind of sportfishing: Are you thinking rivers, freshwater lakes (size?) or sea? From shore or using a boat? The equipment choices will vary a lot between these. What kind of fish do you want to catch?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline AzteCypher

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 01:50:57 AM
I would start by fishing from the edge of a lake or a river, perhaps off a pier if they have one.  If you can't borrow someone's gear, you could always buy a cheap rod and reel with some worms to fish with.  That's how I first started. 
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 05:02:52 AM
Some good advice has been given thus far. Buying a fishing license is far better than paying a fine if you're caught fishing without one. I'm assuming that when Vidar says "sport fishing," he's referring to catch and release? (I understand "sport fishing" to be anything that isn't commercial.)

I can add: I'd do some research into what fish are local and determine what I'd want to catch. (In my area, it's yellow perch.) Know and abide by bag and possession limits that are in effect. Also know what methods are legal for taking your chosen fish. And know how to identify any invasive species that authorities are concerned about.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 07:39:05 PM
Some good advice has been given thus far. Buying a fishing license is far better than paying a fine if you're caught fishing without one. I'm assuming that when Vidar says "sport fishing," he's referring to catch and release? (I understand "sport fishing" to be anything that isn't commercial.)

No, with sports fishing I means fishing as leisure activity. As opposed to fishing for food or fishing for sale (commercial). Examples of fishing for food would be passive equipment like gill nets and traps. Not very exciting at all but more effective than most rod based fishing. (And thus banned many places).

Personally I never do catch and release. It is a personal consideration many will just blow off, but over the years that conclusion has grown on me. Most fish will have levels of stress and pain being caught. I figure making them endure that should at least be for food as that is a natural way. The reason of catching them just for my own fun feels a bit like just playing with live beings. (I don't think anybody would consider catch and release with hooks of say land animals like hares or foxes).

I've killed off thousands of fish over the years so I have no issue with that, but catch and release just feels hollow to me. The released fish will often be handled wrongly, too exhausted, or get infected wounds so many of them will not make it later anyway.

I would actually suggest not starting out with some cheap equipment. Borrow or loan first if possible, but using the proper gear is often a lot more motivating. Same as with multitools - the cheap ones just aren't the same. :)

But a good starting point is to figure out what you want to fish and any rules and regulations you need to follow. The locals will surely know suitable locations and equipment.

Edit: Come to think of it the best way is to go fishing with locals. They also know all the tricks of the trade and the particular fishes and locations - discovering those on your own can take forever if at ever.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

hr Offline styx

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 10:49:08 AM
thanks for the advice.

I was looking at licenses yesterday and from what I figured out there are 3 licenses in general. a general lake and river license which is ridiculously  cheap so it really isn't worth risking the fine. for salsmurfer fishing there is something like a leisure and sport license, with the difference being in equipment. those are more expensive but given our current living arrangements, it is easy enough to leverage the 3 day and 7 day licenses.

guess i first need to look up what can be caught and if there are any restrictions as that will impact the equipment choice. to be fair, I was looking at just getting a telescopic (example: Okuma Carbonite) or multiple part (example: Daiwa Crossfire LT2500 Gold Rush)  rod with an inexpensive 2500 to 3000 reel and to go from there.
that idea came from the simple fact that I'll be going from lakes and rivers to the sea. but seeing what you all said, that might be a bit of a too big compromise.

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 12:38:23 PM
.. I was looking at just getting a telescopic (example: Okuma Carbonite) or multiple part (example: Daiwa Crossfire LT2500 Gold Rush)  rod with an inexpensive 2500 to 3000 reel and to go from there.

Telecopic rods are typically a compromise. Fewer parts and longer are generally better for rods - with the important exception of portability which might be important enough to you. An open spinning reel is usually the easiest to get startet with. Typically you can get extra reels for them which are easy to switch - so you can have different lines for different purposes. That makes the setup more flexible.

I'll be going from lakes and rivers to the sea. but seeing what you all said, that might be a bit of a too big compromise.

Around here going from lakes to the sea is possible, and I have equipment I've used for both, but it is a bit of a compromise. Mostly because the lakes around here is suited for lighter equipment and doesn't need as long range, while sea often needs heavier and longer range. Different lines and bait weights and mid weight range equipment can work both places though. Your milage might vary a lot with your locations, but around here equipment that can comfortable do 8-10g to 40-60g baits will work both places.

Rivers are different around here. The rules are often local and some will only allow flyfishing, others will accept a few other baits as well, but in general stricter than lakes. And for some rivers it might be hard to come by licenses at all.

(As a curious sidenote: A local river here sell licenses by lottery. And sometimes by auction - a two day fishing license for a limited stretch of that river got sold last summer for USD 50000.. If you get it in the lottery, which locals have a far greater chance of winning in, then the prices are more like USD 200 to 400. Passing on the license is not allowed).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2024, 01:15:36 PM
that is a really crazy price for a license

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2024, 02:05:20 PM
   Did anyone notice that you aren't allowed to say salt water on the forum, if you write it as a single word?  Think about it. 
   Some folks fish by themselves, but it generally is more fun if you view it as something you do with company.  Guys getting together to spend a day outdoors.  You need to find a fishing buddy. 
    Nobody asked, but an inland fishing license here is $25 annually for residents.  $16 for coastal fishing.  State license of course.  No national licenses here.  Price in US dollars.  Best wishes.  G
 :popcorn:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 08:19:51 PM
I hadn't considered salt-water fishing, as I've never done it. Others are much more qualified than I to give advice about that.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2024, 11:57:19 PM
Simplify as much as possible.
You don't need the latest and greatest.
Work backwards to find a start point and then refine as you learn.

Pick a target fish or fishes and get a cheap rod that suits in length, line type and casting weight.
Get a reel that matches the rod.
Don't buy the cheapest reel, go one or two models up from the cheapest.
Hooks, ball bearing swivels and clips, get decent ones, not from the clearance bins.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 12, 2024, 12:01:24 AM
Other important stuff:

Knots.
Where and when to fish.
What and how to use.
Dealing with what you catch.

I'll come back later when I have more time and expand on these.
And cover other gears like pliers and knives etc.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 12, 2024, 12:25:05 AM
that is a really crazy price for a license

Indeed. It was a new record, but not all that much higher than the old one. I suspect it is less about the fishing, although that is certainly good, but more about the experience and surroundings with family, friends or some exclusive business representation.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

hr Offline styx

Reply #14 on: May 12, 2024, 11:00:24 AM
well based on this, i gotta rethink a lot of things. as positive though I figured right that I'll need a line cutter and pliers

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #15 on: May 12, 2024, 11:43:03 AM
well based on this, i gotta rethink a lot of things. as positive though I figured right that I'll need a line cutter and pliers
Gerber makes good pliers for fishing,
Gerber Magnipliers https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/cutting-tools/all-cutting-tools/magniplier-salt-31-003556

Only Tools Matters

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2024, 01:34:56 PM
   Hey, I have an idea.  Why don't you use one of those 14 dozen multi-tools that you already own?  Lots of fishermen use a pair of nail clippers to cut line.  Whatever you use, you should tie it to a piece of fishing line or something and tie the other end to your belt loop or vest.  If you don't then they will wind up in the water.  A couple of the little 'zingers' are perfect.  Pin them to your vest and pull the tool out when you need it.  Then they retract to keep your hands free.  Best wishes.  G
 :cheers:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 12, 2024, 02:53:23 PM
You will also have to start exercising towards a liberal treatment of the truth with plenty of low tech exaggerations to go around. Fishing stories start out almost true, but for each time you retell them the fishes grow bigger and the hardships worse. Especially fishes you only had on but lost, or fishes from the last millenia - they were always much bigger than todays feeble fish. Growing longer arms helps too.  :D

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: May 13, 2024, 11:42:26 AM
Other important stuff:

Knots

For years I used the same couple basic knots for everything.
Worked okay for relaxed casual type fishing.
Didn't work for bigger fish though so I began learning and testing more knots.

You need patience when researching knots and focus when tying them.
Watching youtube can be very confusing as one person will wrap to the left and another to the right.
Everyone will say their knot is correct or better which may be true for them but not for you.

I test knots head to head until breaking for all the lines that I'm using.
One might be stronger on 60lb but not on 6lb or it might be harder to tie on 60lb but not on 6lb.
If two knots are similar in strength then I'll usually go with the one that is easier to tie.

Most of my setups are monofilament, here are a few of my frequently used knots.
For swivels and clips: toit, trilene/double loop clinch, uni/grinner.
For loops: lefty krey/non slip loop, rapala, perfection loop.
For joining two lines: blood, double nail, albright.
Other useful: dropper loop, nail, mono to braid.

TLDR: for mono learn the double loop clinch, uni, lefty krey and dropper loop knots.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 17, 2024, 12:31:11 PM
Where and when to fish.

It is over an hours drive for me to reach the coast line.
I'm pretty happy on a beach at any time.
And fishing a random place and time always has a chance of catching something.

However knowing the where and whens can greatly increase the odds.
Wind direction and strength can affect the where as casting into the wind isn't that much fun.
Swell direction and size can also ruin a spot.
Recent rains can often dirty up the water causing some types of fish to move out and others move in.
Tide times are another pretty important thing to consider.

If I want to catch plenty of fish then I do my homework.
Check the weather and wind forecast, swell map, tide times and river levels.
This decides whether to fish a river mouth into low tide, a beach gutter into high tide or a protected rocky point.
Being random could mean one fish in six hours, being informed could mean six fish in one hour.

TLDR: 10mins research can save wasting a lot of time, effort and money.

hr Offline styx

Reply #20 on: May 19, 2024, 01:43:16 PM
well I took your advice and talked with some of the local fishermen. end result wasn't overly productive. basically everyone has their own unique setup and is very brand loyal (and you have to understand that  every other brand sucks), most dislike touching worms so they fish using artificial lures, corn or other bait, and the only thing they can all agree on is that 8 to 9 beers is the sweet spot.

brand of beer is similar to the fishing brands discussion.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 19, 2024, 02:22:12 PM
   You asked about equipment.  You should have asked if you could come along.  You need to know technique, not hardware.  You only learn that on the water.  Equipment can sort itself out later. 
    Like wanting to drive.  First you learn to drive with someone else.  Then you think about what kind of car to buy after you experience driving a while.  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 19, 2024, 10:01:36 PM
The technique most fishing tourists around here use is either to hire a professional fishing guide to show them the ropes (expensive but major short cut), or they simply see where there are someone fishing and take their chances nearby. Do that for a while and the experienced ones might help sort you out - if not copy shamelessly!  (Do make sure any license isn't area exclusive though so you don't come brazenly to fish on their turf..)

One caveat with this is of course that you don't know if they actually know what they are doing... If they have caught fish then that is typically a good indication.

Still, going with someone, or fishing with someone, is often a big part of the overall experience.

basically everyone has their own unique setup and is very brand loyal (and you have to understand that  every other brand sucks), most dislike touching worms so they fish using artificial lures, corn or other bait, and the only thing they can all agree on is that 8 to 9 beers is the sweet spot.

Fishing equipment is an endlessly deep rabbit hole with arguments bordering on religious. Surprisingly fish tends to care less about it though..
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 10:10:25 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: May 20, 2024, 07:40:56 AM
What and how to use.

I think Vidar just covered a good part of this one.
Just because everybody is doing something, doesn't mean they are doing it right.
That one person catching most of the fish will be doing something different than the others.

When I started spin fishing I copied what the others were doing so I didn't look out of place.
I quickly realized that winding slower got more hits.
Different lure colours got hits.
Fishing the bottom, mid or top water also resulted in hits.
Changing things up can help narrow down what the fish are after that day.

Sometimes fish just wont hit a hard lure but will smash a soft bait.
I don't like spending money on plastics however having a few in the bag gives you options.

TLDR: change things up, note what works, catch more fish.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: May 20, 2024, 09:52:43 AM
Dealing with what you catch.

Congrats, you've pulled a fish onto land, now what.
For the most part I'll use an iki spike to kill the fish and bleed it by cutting the gills.
Good website here that shows where to on a fish. https://www.ikijime.com/
Then it sits in a bucket of water while I keep fishing or it gets gutted, rinsed off and put into a cold water slurry.
When filleting I keep my knife hand clean and dry while the other hand deals with holding the fish.

All fish to be returned to the water should be handled with care and respect.
Remove the hook asap and gently release the fish.

Here we have a few species that can be annoying to deal with.
Eels can roll up in your rig and create a big tangle, cut the line and let them go.
Their slime can put other fish off taking a bait so I tend to change rigs after an eel.
Young sharks can be feisty and flexible, a firm grip behind the head helps control the biting end.
For stingrays roll them over using the leader or a rod stand, de hook and roll them back over.
Gently hold their spiracles (behind the eyes) or nostrils (underside) and pull them back into the water.
Sharks and stingrays seem to sense you're helping them out if you stay quiet and calm while working with them.

TLDR: be prepared to deal with more than just a pan fish.

hr Offline styx

Reply #25 on: May 20, 2024, 11:07:39 PM
probably should have mentioned that we were on the shore of a smaller lake. as for technique, well all that fussing about and arguing led to nothing being caught at all.

somehow the best sentiment I got is to just start and learn by doing.

btw I've seen spear fishermen use their knives to do the same thing (well similar) as to what the iki spike does

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 21, 2024, 01:23:43 AM
as for technique, well all that fussing about and arguing led to nothing being caught at all.

You already have this fishing thing worked out!  :D I have long suspected that many are more into the equipment than actual fishing based on similar scenes.

Come to think of it, another good source of information is local specialized equipment stores. Some of them have very enthusiastic and knowledgeable people working there who know the area, the local fish species, and the equipment typically used. Sadly few of those stores left - at least around here.

somehow the best sentiment I got is to just start and learn by doing.

That sounds like the most important step by far!
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Enginears

Reply #27 on: June 01, 2024, 11:06:35 PM
I am late to the discussion but wanted to add my two cents as a beginner.

I have memories of catching perch in small creeks using a bobber and worms, if you have small water bodies where you can get something with that setup, then it could be useful to compare live worms with different fake ones to see what the same fish will bite. Also good practice handling them being as small as they are.

In big lakes I have a dog of a time due to rocks, underwater vegetation and wind. I have lost numerous lures and setups being overly zealous with where I could fish. The problem with big lakes too is finding spots where the fish actually are.

I use a kayak or a 8’ dinghy to get out to better spots/depths. I still suck at catching fish, and a lot of that has to do with my timing. I rarely can get out at dawn, or in the evening, which is when others I talk too are getting hits. I put in my kayak at 10AM and another guy there says he has been pulling up bass right and left, but after 10Am we are both yakin around not even getting a bite.

Spinners, lures, crankbaits, worms, packaged pellets, bobbers, sinkers etc etc. It is practically infinite to decide what to throw, where to throwback it, when, what fish are you aiming to catch? I have had luck catching black bass using crankbaits just off the shore in a big lake.

Another fun way I have learned is by finding shallow clear water ponds where I could be watching the fish as they responded to what I put in there area. Helps to have a telescopic pole if you have to hike in.

I like to pass my late evenings watching people like Nora JP fishing dominate the Japanese seas using an ultralight rod.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $46.95
PayPal Fees: $2.36
Net Balance: $44.59
Below Goal: $255.41
Site Currency: USD
15%